Sponsored by:

New Buyer - C2 or C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 11:50 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,411 Likes on 1,492 Posts

+1

Owned both C2 & C2S. Turbo lag argument is a nonstarter. Especially for the 992 gen.
The following 5 users liked this post by smiles11:
aggie57 (05-16-2021), detansinn (05-15-2021), jorgecar (05-16-2021), Russian Mafia (05-17-2021), westcoastj (05-16-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 03:54 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,913 Likes on 1,539 Posts

Originally Posted by khalil
I test-drove both for a week before making my decision.
The C2S isn't as enjoyable in the city as it is in open roads, highways and tracks.
Nonsense, I’ve done around 40,000 miles in 3 911’s, both base and S, they’re all just as much ‘fun’ as each other in all situations. Although the S is a bit more relaxed around town courtesy of a big fat torque curve which the base doesn’t have, and it does have bigger brakes and a LSD which are useful on the track.
The following 5 users liked this post by aggie57:
Bluehighways (05-16-2021), detansinn (05-16-2021), Russian Mafia (05-17-2021), smiles11 (05-16-2021), westcoastj (05-17-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 01:49 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

Own a '19 991.2 C4S manual and have put on 15k miles, both in-town and on several extended road trips in the SE US.

The statement in regard to an S not being "fun" in-town because it's too powerful seems odd, if so, why is it that so many purchase these crazy HP cars? I don't hear too many complaints from owners saying my car needs less HP, many are busy adding even more HP through mods.

My 911 is very tractable around town, hardly needs any gas to get going in first and unless you're in 5-6-7, you can feed it the gas and GO. The gearbox is quite nice, easy to shift and the ECU helps to make smooth engagements to save wear on the drivetrain.

The non-S base model is hardly any slower than the S and has enough motivation to get you in trouble quite quickly, they are fine. The S model does have some additional mechanicals which are nice to have but not absolutely necessary.

I've driven the 992 C2S PDK on track for hours and I can tell you it's a bullet. However, a manual is a must for me so if I were to buy a 992, it would be an S.

You won't be wrong in buying either one, you don't have to satisfy the crowd (as some enjoy jerking others' chains for reactions), just yourself.

Have fun.

Last edited by BSO; 05-16-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:54 PM
por356
Racer

Received 393 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
You won't be wrong in buying either one, you don't have to satisfy the crowd (as some enjoy jerking others chains for reactions), just yourself.

Have fun.
So true, there is no bad choice to be made........
The following 2 users liked this post by por356:
kwikit356 (05-18-2021), westcoastj (05-17-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 09:42 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Nonsense, I’ve done around 40,000 miles in 3 911’s, both base and S, they’re all just as much ‘fun’ as each other in all situations. Although the S is a bit more relaxed around town courtesy of a big fat torque curve which the base doesn’t have, and it does have bigger brakes and a LSD which are useful on the track.
So-o-o-o-o Other than the last act; what'd you think of the play Ms. Lincoln?
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (05-16-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 11:58 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Is it?
My car has 4 way seats, sunroof delete, PCCBs. I'd bet it's lighter than the commonly equipped Carrera.
Max torque of the Carrera is 331 lb/ft at 1900 RPM. Max torque for C2s is 390 lb/ft ~ 2300 RPM. What is the torque of the C2S at 1900 RPM? More?
Peak power for both is at 6500 RPM and the C2S is obviously more.
The Carrera takes a smidge longer through the gears, so you may hear more noise at the same speeds. It has smaller tires and a softer suspension (relative to SPASM). Otherwise, it's the same car, but slower.
You can argue that the C2S is maybe not worth it over the Carrera. But to say it's outright inferior is a whole different argument.
And driving through town, in traffic, I've never heard anyone say a slower, less powerful car is more desirable. Slower cars are more fun when the roads are empty and you can really wind them out and explore the powerband. And, IMO, that argument applies mostly to NA engines and physically smaller cars than this.
You quoted me, and yet, I don't think you read what I wrote. And to compare your lightly equipped C2S vs a C2 highly optioned is an interesting comparison at best. And yes, slower, but how much? Keep reading below...

Originally Posted by detansinn
The Base is 24lbs lighter, because it has smaller brakes and smaller wheels. I am not sure that puts it in the “obviously lighter” camp. That’s less than four gallons of gas. It’s a less than 1% weight difference in exchange for, you know, bigger brakes …and bigger wheels.
Considering that the S cars make 17% more horsepower and 18% more torque. Oh, and that torque hits between 2000 and 2500RPM, where the S makes more torque than the Base car ever makes. By any definition, in the automotive world, that’s at the very bottom of the rev range.
Given the above, I don’t see how a Base Carrera is a better car in a city environment.
Just going by what I've read - that the engine in the base is more lively around town.

But seriously, here are C&D's results. The S is about .2 seconds faster. Dats a lot of money for .2 seconds....
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

sexfiend (05-20-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 12:24 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,510 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
You quoted me, and yet, I don't think you read what I wrote. And to compare your lightly equipped C2S vs a C2 highly optioned is an interesting comparison at best. And yes, slower, but how much? Keep reading below...
My car is light, but it's not lightly equipped. Not by a long shot.

The point is that the Carrera is not meaningfully lighter, if at all. It's clearly less powerful. The brakes are worse.

That said, it's ironic that you post how close the performance of the Carrera and Carrera S is. So on the one hand, the Carrera and Carrera S are super close in performance. On the other, Carrera S is way too fast for city driving to be enjoyed.

I have no dog in this hunt. I'll be trading in my C2S in a few months. I just find this whole Carrera thing a little weird.

I mean if it was a Carrera T -- stripped out, lightweight with a really nice 6 speed manual and smaller diameter wheels...ok, I can buy into that.

Last edited by rk-d; 05-17-2021 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:37 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
My car is light, but it's not lightly equipped. Not by a long shot.

The point is that the Carrera is not meaningfully lighter, if at all. It's clearly less powerful. The brakes are worse.

That said, it's ironic that you post how close the performance of the Carrera and Carrera S is. So on the one hand, the Carrera and Carrera S are super close in performance. On the other, Carrera S is way too fast for city driving to be enjoyed.

I have no dog in this hunt. I'll be trading in my C2S in a few months. I just find this whole Carrera thing a little weird.

I mean if it was a Carrera T -- stripped out, lightweight with a really nice 6 speed manual and smaller diameter wheels...ok, I can buy into that.
I think you are confusing me with someone else. I never said the S was too fast for city driving - nor did I say it was “inferior”. Are you sure you are responding to the right person?
Old 05-17-2021, 01:11 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,124 Likes on 5,271 Posts

S

The extra cost over the base will be recovered on resale.
detansinn (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 01:31 AM
Glerald
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 56 Posts

I had this same debate re base vs S and went with the S for 2 reasons: 1) no buyer’s remorse, wishing that I had just pulled the trigger and gotten the S and 2) tracking, which I did for the first time this weekend at the Nola Motor Speedway. Though I have never driven the base, what I can tell you that the S is a beast and was absolutely a blast to drive. What I lack in driving skill (which is substantial) the car compensated in a way that I would not ever believed had I not experienced it. Get what you want and love it.
Tupper (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 03:29 PM
Nibiru12
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

On the street or highway, don't us Porsche drivers, the nicest people, mostly race SUVs and Japanese imports?

Anyone here tried to outrun M5, RS7, E63, or fellow Porsche 911 on the public road?

If so, how did that turn out?

For racing SUVs and Japanese imports, Base got WAY~ more than enough power, you will impress them dearly.

If you want that acceleration feel at launch, get an S.

Anyone tracking often, get a GT3 or turbo.

Common folks outside this forum and non-Porschephile neighbors will not be able to tell what you got is a base or S or Turbo S, it's just an expensive new 911, and reveals that you got too much money, that's it.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,124 Likes on 5,271 Posts

Originally Posted by Nibiru12
On the street or highway, don't us Porsche drivers, the nicest people, mostly race SUVs and Japanese imports?

Anyone here tried to outrun M5, RS7, E63, or fellow Porsche 911 on the public road?

For racing SUVs and Japanese imports, Base got WAY~ more than enough power, you will impress them dearly.

Common folks outside this forum and non-Porschephile neighbors will not be able to tell what you got is a base or S or Turbo S, it's just an expensive new 911, and reveals that you got too much money, that's it.
No sir.

I have better things to do with my time, and more respect for the public at-large than to street race to justify my choice of vehicular transportation.
The following 5 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (05-17-2021), Cotechia (05-25-2021), detansinn (05-17-2021), doug_999 (05-20-2021), sexfiend (05-20-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 05:58 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,197 Likes on 3,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Nibiru12

A couple of years ago, I was driving my Alfa Romeo 4C Spider down a wonderful back road, minding my own business, and just enjoying the drive. At some point, in a passing glance, I noticed an orange BMW in my rearview mirror, but I didn't pay any attention to him. I had my car, top down, and driving one of my favorite local roads -- near perfect day. I've been down this section of road dozens of times (if not hundreds) . I know every bump/irregularity and the correct line to take through it. I really enjoy solo spirited drives down this section of road and I was coming up to one of my favorite corners.

Well, the orange BMW M2 made himself known. As I exited the turn, I heard a crash behind me and saw that the BMW driver had plowed right into the guard rail. I stopped and checked to see that he was okay. He was, because he was shouting profanities at me and giving me the finger. That was my cue, to hop back in the Alfa and let this idiot sort his life out. If you're local to me, you now know why this section of guard rail was replaced.

Don't race people on the street. It's dumb and dangerous. It doesn't matter what car your driving. Buying car X or leasing BMW Y isn't going to grant you magic skills -- it doesn't make you a faster driver. Even in a straight line, you can get into trouble. There are so many "supercar" fails where two people are drag racing on the street. Here's one...

Nobody is impressed by the car that you drive or peacocking showboat nonsense. Once you get to the point where you understand and embrace that, life is so much better. I can't tell you how many times a car, SUV or Mini-van has punched it off the line next to one of my cars. I am sure that these folks are telling people that their car beat my car off the line, but who cares? It's not race. It's especially not a race when the other person isn't racing.

Do enjoy your own car. Do develop your own skills. Don't drive beyond your limits to outrun, chase, or try to impress anyone.

Don't be the dumb *** who ends up launching his car into a guard rail.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:15 PM
Nibiru12
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No sir.

I have better things to do with my time, and more respect for the public at-large than to street race to justify my choice of vehicular transportation.
Originally Posted by detansinn
Don't race people on the street. It's dumb and dangerous. It doesn't matter what car your driving. Buying car X or leasing BMW Y isn't going to grant you magic skills -- it doesn't make you a faster driver. Even in a straight line, you can get into trouble. There are so many "supercar" fails where two people are drag racing on the street. Here's one...

Do enjoy your own car. Do develop your own skills. Don't drive beyond your limits to outrun, chase, or try to impress anyone.

Don't be the dumb *** who ends up launching his car into a guard rail.
People, how do you race an SUV or japanese import with a 911?

You can't.

Such a thing cannot be called racing, maybe more like gently passing at slightly higher speed, not even at full throttle, probably half throttle.

That was my point.

If you are "racing", it would be with M5 or Corvette or what not.

That will be a racing and it would be insane thing to do.

Please re-read my post... maybe I wasn't very clear... I was trying to be half sarcastic...

Old 05-17-2021, 06:37 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999

Just going by what I've read - that the engine in the base is more lively around town.

But seriously, here are C&D's results. The S is about .2 seconds faster. Dats a lot of money for .2 seconds....
The S has 64 more HP and 60 more ft lbs of TQ, that is very noticeable and there are many other upgrades with the S. Spare the expense if you don't want a higher performing vehicle. The S has been shown to be .3 to .5 seconds faster 0-60 which is actually huge when you are in the high 2s, low 3s.
All this crap about the base Carrera being more fun or a better performer in this or that setting is just total BS.
The following 3 users liked this post by phaser:
detansinn (05-17-2021), sexfiend (05-20-2021), Tupper (05-17-2021)

Quick Reply: New Buyer - C2 or C2S?