Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth I found this from JD Powers

Old 05-09-2021, 09:56 PM
CashBuyer
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
I have been playing with the thought of leaving USAA due to my subscriber savings account balance being over $10k now. You can’t get the money out unless you cancel for at least six months.
What does this mean?

I've been a lifelong USAA member / insured with multiple policies including auto, home, life, umbrella, investments properties etc. but haven't heard of this "subscriber savings account".
Old 05-09-2021, 10:05 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 917 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Why wouldn’t you take a 911 shopping or to Costco? It’s not that precious, hell I use Costco gas and often see Rollers and other far more expensive cars there. It’s just a car, a nice car but just a car.
Fear of vandalism.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:01 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Fear of vandalism.
I used to think like that.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:29 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Ditto. Lifelong USAA person.
yep...although their premiums have been rising a bit lately..have USAA and never had a problem with claims. Daughter's Audi TT was rear ended last week and I had claim check in my account by end of week. Albeit not likely original estimate will be for full repair but expect a supplemental to make her car whole again so to speak. Went with Geico for a few months but they had issues with where my cars were registered vs housed as I am AD military so I went back to USAA. Have also insured numerous Porsche's and did well with the only one that was hit while in Vegas a few years ago...dude in a Jeep backed into me while waiting to exit a parking garage! Some folks just don't watch their surroundings it seems.

But agree with most...sounds like THAT particular shop has issues NOT Statefarm. Would shop somewhere else.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:12 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by CashBuyer
What does this mean?

I've been a lifelong USAA member / insured with multiple policies including auto, home, life, umbrella, investments properties etc. but haven't heard of this "subscriber savings account".
USAA isn't a publicly traded company. It is owned by its members, and each member gets a subscriber's savings account where capital is held to pay for claims. You cannot withdraw these funds unless you cancel your auto/homeowner's policy completely. You cannot add funds to the account. There are no income tax implications, either. The board of USAA annually authorizes a distribution to members from their subscriber's savings account. (I've been with USAA for decades, and I get about $400 rebated (plus or minus) each year). Distributions are not guaranteed, but I can't recall a year where I haven't gotten one. Your account typically grows over the years unless USAA has a catastrophic claims-paying experience, so if you have been a lifelong member, it is worth it to call them and get your balance. However, they send a statement to their members every year showing Subscriber Savings Account activity, so I'm surprised you are not getting yours.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 09:15 PM
guffdude
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default AIG saved me money

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
I've seen a version of this stated on Rennlist from time to time, but haven't seen an anecdote yet from a Porsche owner who has not received what they would deem proper coverage from the likes of reputable insurers like State Farm. I'm not denying the possibility, but can anyone substantiate this claim? Have you been screwed by your insurer on a claim for a modern C2S/C4S to the point you decided to go with any of the aforementioned insurers (Chubb, AIG, Pure, etc.)?

I have had only one homeowners claim in 40+ years of owning a home when a very large tree branch fell on our house. Chubb, my insurer at the time, paid everything per the contractor’s quote, within days. Very smooth.

Somehow I ended up with Liberty mutual as my HO insurer as well as my umbrella insurer. Last year, an Independent agent saved me over $3,000 by going with AIG. This year, probably because of COVID, that went down by $200.

I have insured my 3 cars with Geico for a long time and nobody has ever beat their price and their service is great. My kid got T-boned which totaled his car. The other guy had Geico. My son got a check in 2 days for $1,500 over trade in blue book. A friend with a Mercedes S550 was caught in a flash flood which ruined his engine. Mercedes had no replacement engines in North America. Geico paid to air freight thr replacement to Denver. That’s service.

Most of us don’t shop our insurance. I do every other year. It takes time but I always save money, and I am confident that when I need it, those companies will give me good service.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:37 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
I have amica (no Porsche), their service is indeed good but rates are high and surcharges for accidents and tickets are high also. And their rates never seemed to go down as I aged and statistically become a safer driver.
Funny, I have had Amica for over 15 years now, and have had great service and rates from them. I have checked them against other insurers periodically over the yers, and Amica has always been cheaper. I have referred a few friends to get quotes from Amica, and every one ended up switching to them. I have made a few claims over the years, and all went extremely smoothly.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:54 PM
Skullbussa
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

I've used Geico, State Farm, and USAA in the past decade and I'd grade these guys:

Premiums:
State Farm: D
USAA: B
Geico: A

Claim Service
State Farm: D
USAA: A
Geico: B

IMHO, Geico is the best deal for people who know how to deal with claims. Yes, they'll try to steer you towards non-OEM parts and their claims centers. No, you don't have to accept those suggestions if you're aware, assertive. They replaced a $1500 ($1500!) broken windshield on my Alfa without batting an eye and didn't slap my wrist with increased premiums.

In my experience, those insurers who cover homes are non-competitive at covering motor vehicles and the multi-line discount they try to push rarely covers the gap. I have excellent credit, clean driving record and currently have a home insurance policy through Allstate and on a yearly. basis they try to quote me on my cars. Their coverage for my 991.2 GTS is nearly TWICE what Geico's is, it's comical how bad their rates are.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:32 AM
bmclaurin
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts

I just switched our family's policies from State Farm to Progressive. I had been with State Farm for 35 years. My annual premiums just decreased by just over $4,000 (which covers my wife and I and two kids) with the same coverage, deductibles, etc.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:10 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Same here, not 35 years but 20 odd years with AllState and 14 with SF and saved a pile by going to Progressive. BTW there was no cap on coverage for my 2021 C4S since someone mentioned Progressive didn't insure cars over 150k.

siberian
Old 05-11-2021, 01:37 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Same here, not 35 years but 20 odd years with AllState and 14 with SF and saved a pile by going to Progressive. BTW there was no cap on coverage for my 2021 C4S since someone mentioned Progressive didn't insure cars over 150k.

siberian
Ask them if they will insure a Mclaren 720S or a Lamborghini Aventador.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:42 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Since I don't have either of those I really couldn't give a... and if you have them you're not worried about the price of car insurance.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 05-11-2021 at 01:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
icanthelpit (10-12-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 09:08 PM
guffdude
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking Geico Premium Increase

I just received my premium notice from Geico for the next 6 months. After a small fender bender with the Explorer in August, Geico paid out $1,073 to the other party. They graciously increased my premium 43%. After I called to see what we could do, they offered to put an app on my smartphone to monitor my driving. For that, I could save about $20 per month. It's coming boys and girls. See last weeks article in the WSJ. Allstate is going for it big time. Big Brother is here. BTW, we've been with Geico 9 years and this has been my only claim.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/allstat...hare_permalink
Old 10-11-2021, 09:11 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guffdude
I just received my premium notice from Geico for the next 6 months. After a small fender bender with the Explorer in August, Geico paid out $1,073 to the other party. They graciously increased my premium 43%. After I called to see what we could do, they offered to put an app on my smartphone to monitor my driving. For that, I could save about $20 per month. It's coming boys and girls. See last weeks article in the WSJ. Allstate is going for it big time. Big Brother is here. BTW, we've been with Geico 9 years and this has been my only claim.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/allstat...hare_permalink

State Farm tried to get me to drive with one of those 'trackers'. I was like no fu••ing way

Quick Reply: Which insurer do you use for your cars?