Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which insurer do you use for your cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 12:45 AM
JasonNY
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which insurer do you use for your cars?

So recently I was rear-ended in my Audi sedan and brought the car to an authorized body shop in Pompano Beach FL that is manuf authorized for several high end brands and is owned by Fort Lauderdale Ferrari. I have State Farm for my cars and the at-fault driver has Allstate. When I told the guy I had State Farm he flat out said they won't do business with them because they lowball the payments and ultimately the repair gets rejected. Normally you use your own insurance as an intermediary and they collect from the at-fault insurer. Shop said he wouldn't even deal with them at that level. If I wanted to call the at-fault drivers Allstate and make the claim directly that's the only way they would do business with me.

Obviously I'm now concerned I have a crap insurer on my cars and if I have to make a claim with State Farm where I'm at fault or an uninsured motorist situation I will have a hard time getting a quality shop to work on my expensive cars. What's everyone else using for insurance and your experience? Thanks
Old 05-05-2021, 12:54 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,256 Posts

I have and am happy with USAA, but I really don't think you have an insurance company problem. Frankly, it sounds like you may need/want to seek out another repair facility. Some years ago I had a different high end car and was T-Boned when the other driver ran a red light. I took the car to a facility that does restoration work for cars that win prizes in Pebble Beach. The other fellows insurance company representative took a deep breath, but they paid the bill.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
Daddeo (05-05-2021), mdrobc1213 (05-10-2021), Serialcoderer (05-08-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 12:56 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I left SF a year ago saved a bundle with Progressive. Wouldn't go to either SF or Allstate. Am I in good hands? Given my savings? Yes

siberian
Old 05-05-2021, 01:30 PM
wasabi4
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry that you were rear-ended. I've been with SF for two decades. Their premiums are not the lowest - which would be my sole gripe, but never had any problems with them not being accepted at bodyshops. A few years back, one of my coworkers had his BMW catch on fire while in his garage and their house caught on fire as a result. He was insured with SF and SF came through and took care of everything. Decided then that I'd bite the premium costs and stick with SF.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,682 Likes on 5,112 Posts

I have State Farm for my cars, home, and umbrella.

I don't necessarily price shop to the lowest denominator, but I do know that the one time I had to submit a claim to State Farm (when I was sideswiped merging onto the freeway and then T-Boned by oncoming traffic at freeway speeds and ended up in the ICU and a week's stay in the hospital), State Farm took care of everything. Paid me in full for my Porsche 991 911 C4S and even sent me flowers and gift baskets while I was in the hospital.

While State Farm may not be lowest in terms of price, they are low enough for me. More importantly, when the time comes I have to actually use my insurance, I know that the process will be as hassle-free and painless as possible.

YMMV of course.
The following users liked this post:
mathus7 (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 02:28 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

PURE for my house and 993 with agreed value policy. Traveller's for my other cars.
The following users liked this post:
cmchism (10-12-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 02:32 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I have State Farm for my cars, home, and umbrella.

I don't necessarily price shop to the lowest denominator, but I do know that the one time I had to submit a claim to State Farm (when I was sideswiped merging onto the freeway and then T-Boned by oncoming traffic at freeway speeds and ended up in the ICU and a week's stay in the hospital), State Farm took care of everything. Paid me in full for my Porsche 991 911 C4S and even sent me flowers and gift baskets while I was in the hospital.

While State Farm may not be lowest in terms of price, they are low enough for me. More importantly, when the time comes I have to actually use my insurance, I know that the process will be as hassle-free and painless as possible.

YMMV of course.
+1. State Farm for me also
Old 05-05-2021, 02:55 PM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

I have used State Farm exclusively for about 40 years, fortunately I have only had to make a claim a few times. The service was always excellent and no hassles. As regards price I have no idea how they compare to other companies but I certainly do not find their rates unreasonable. The premium is somewhat irrelevant, what was the point of saving a few hundred $$$ a year to maybe lose thousands or endure a huge hassle when you need them. I tend to think insurance is like most things, you get what you pay for. Again I can only speak from my own experience, but when you have paid anywhere from $100,000 to upwards of $200,000 for a car why is anyone worried about saving a few hundred dollars a year. That is like stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:05 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

I just switched my home and auto to State Farm, due to the fact that my previous insurer would not take on my new C2S. I've only heard good things about State Farm, but I'm sorry to hear about your current situation.

The best options are geographically-dependent. Overall, I've heard good things about SF, Allstate and Travelers, just to name a few.

Additionally: I'd be curious what SF has to say about their past experience with that body shop.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:36 PM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 142 Posts

Plus one here on State Farm. Sounds like a body shop issue? Never heard of SF not paying a legit bill from a shop.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:38 PM
ngamountains
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 150 Posts

State Farm here. Find a new shop, sounds like this one has an agenda that has nothing to do with your issues.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:39 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911Castle
Plus one here on State Farm. Sounds like a body shop issue? Never heard of SF not paying a legit bill from a shop.
Check out the lawsuit from the link I attached in my OP. I was surprised as well

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/os-a...820-story.html
Old 05-05-2021, 05:14 PM
997usa
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 271 Posts

I am making a gross generalization, but once you get into the higher end cars, most likely you have a higher end home, and a higher net worth. The 'retail' insurers won't protect you properly. Try looking into the Chubbs, AIG, Pure etc for a much better level of service. You'd be surprised to see that they are not even that much more expensive, but offer much better claim handling / coverage.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:25 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

I have State Farm as well and have been mostly happy with them over the last 25 years. They offered stated value on some vehicles now which is great.

I've shopped around a few times but once you factor in house, personal articles, umbrella, etc they were actually near the best price.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,682 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by lucycan
I have State Farm as well and have been mostly happy with them over the last 25 years. They offered stated value on some vehicles now which is great.

I've shopped around a few times but once you factor in house, personal articles, umbrella, etc they were actually near the best price.
Plus, they will insure cars over 500k.

Quick Reply: Which insurer do you use for your cars?