Sponsored by:

Which insurer do you use for your cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 09:38 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 917 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by PJSD
I use AIG Private Client. Chubb is great, Amica is great. These cost more, but worth it if you need to use your insurance. I am an accident/injury attorney, I deal with them all the time. And every claim is different, but they all can be difficult. USAA is great for their members. AAA is pretty good. Liberty Mutual is ok. Here are the worst, in no particular order:

1. GEICO (horrible to deal with and focus only on selling cheap premiums, no customer service when sh** hits fan)
2. Mercury
3. State Farm (Snake Farm) - do anything possible to avoid paying claims.
4. Allstate (Allsnake) - do anything to avoid paying claims.
5. Progressive
6. 21st Century (part of Farmers)
7. Wawanesa
8. Kemper
I have amica (no Porsche), their service is indeed good but rates are high and surcharges for accidents and tickets are high also. And their rates never seemed to go down as I aged and statistically become a safer driver.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:40 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use AIG Private Client. Chubb is great, Amica is great. These cost more, but worth it if you need to use your insurance. I am an accident/injury attorney, I deal with them all the time. And every claim is different, but they all can be difficult. USAA is great for their members. AAA is pretty good. Liberty Mutual is ok. Here are the worst, in no particular order:

1. GEICO (horrible to deal with and focus only on selling cheap premiums, no customer service when sh** hits fan)
2. Mercury
5. Progressive
7. Wawanesa
8. Kemper

Thanks for the info (and everyone's contributions to this thread, good conversation). Funny thing is you mention Liberty Mutual and I had them for years, but switched to State Farm a few years ago when they cranked my premiums up for no reason at renewal. How would you rate Travelers in the mix?
Old 05-05-2021, 10:09 PM
ced4jets
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Ditto. Lifelong USAA person.
Same here, right after I got my commission. If you qualify, nothing better. 50 year member
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 10:51 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

I switched from Farmers to Progressive last year and more than halved my premium for auto, home and umbrella. But after taking a closer look at the policies I switched over to AIG. I’ve made no claims on any of them.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:58 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,371 Posts

My "aha" moment came when one more premium increase came at the same time that SF had promised to hand back some cents due to COVID. So I called the agent and asked "what about my discount?".

The reply was "well the discounts are really complicated and time consuming to calculate so they will be delayed but you will get them". My answer was, but the premium increase was calculated really easily right? After being fleeced by SF for years I moved to Progressive and saved a bundle; and yes the "we want you back" mails continue (like Direct TVs - three years cableless and counting! ).

siberian
Serialcoderer (05-08-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 11:47 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by WellDressedCar
I've heard from neighbors and friends over the years that State Farm is a joke. All shared horror stories about them. They don't want to pay out on claims and are a PITA. This goes for home and auto insurance.

I've been a USAA since I was 16. Always treated me well, even when things were my fault. Never have had an issue. Plus, if you ever live overseas, they'll insure your car(s) even if they have a lien on them. They'll also finance your cars, unlike most US banks who want your car to stay on US soil.

I'd look elsewhere for insurance if I were you.
Yikes! Had only heard good things about SF up to this point. Hopefully my experience with them is not "a joke."
Old 05-06-2021, 10:33 PM
FLAMIKE992
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was with USAA for over 20 years. I joined AARP last year and went through their insurance which is the Hartford Group, I got a excellent rate on my 992. my 992 is cheaper to insure than my wife's Jeep Wrangler
Flash992 (10-11-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 08:23 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 782 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by FLAMIKE992
I was with USAA for over 20 years. I joined AARP last year and went through their insurance which is the Hartford Group, I got a excellent rate on my 992. my 992 is cheaper to insure than my wife's Jeep Wrangler
I have been playing with the thought of leaving USAA due to my subscriber savings account balance being over $10k now. You can’t get the money out unless you cancel for at least six months.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:01 AM
Brad911
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 84 Posts

2. Mercury
5. Progressive
7. Wawanesa
8. Kemper

not sure I’d want my insurance company to cave to any accident or injury ambulance chaser.

I am more concerned about OEM parts and labor rates. Nationwide Private Client is decent. Like others, I’ve only heard good things until this thread about State Farm. Agree that Geico is terrible. Progressive uses knock off parts - you pay the difference. You do get what you pay for, Siberian.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brad911:
alex2364 (05-11-2021), AlterZgo (05-09-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 09:29 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,544 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
PURE for my house and 993 with agreed value policy. Traveller's for my other cars.
Curious why you have your other cars on Travellers? I have everything (House, jewelry/valuable items, umbrella, 6 cars agreed value, household staff worker's comp) through Pure and I've only made one claim (rodent damage on my wife's outdoor parked Cayenne) that they handled promptly and efficiently with no pushback on my using the Porsche dealer. Does travellers provide better coverage or more affordable rates?
Old 05-07-2021, 10:07 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
I left SF a year ago saved a bundle with Progressive. Wouldn't go to either SF or Allstate. Am I in good hands? Given my savings? Yes

siberian
I did the exact same thing, was with SF for decades, Progressive saves us.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:06 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 134 Posts

I’ve been with State Farm for over 30 years. In that time I’ve made several claims on vehicles and home and have never had an issue. I have looked at changing a few times. Each time the other company can beat them on the autos, but then everything else is higher so in the end my total is more. Guess I get a lot of extra discounts due to the length of time I’ve been with State Farm. Right now I have 4 vehicles insured (with 2 drivers under 25), home, $2MM personal liability, and $30,000 personal articles policy for my wife’s cameras. We pay just over $400/month. Maybe another company can be cheaper, but in the end the service provided when you make a claim can wipe out the feeling of that savings. I have a good long-term relationship with my agent which helps immensely.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:25 AM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 257 Posts

I went with Cincinnati Insurance.
For a reasonable price, you can insure your car for Full Replacement Value.
After market installations can be added to the value of the reimbursement.
So, rather than get an appraised value as the car gets older,
you get the full amount if the car is totaled
Old 05-09-2021, 03:33 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
I’ve been with State Farm for over 30 years. In that time I’ve made several claims on vehicles and home and have never had an issue. I have looked at changing a few times. Each time the other company can beat them on the autos, but then everything else is higher so in the end my total is more. Guess I get a lot of extra discounts due to the length of time I’ve been with State Farm. Right now I have 4 vehicles insured (with 2 drivers under 25), home, $2MM personal liability, and $30,000 personal articles policy for my wife’s cameras. We pay just over $400/month. Maybe another company can be cheaper, but in the end the service provided when you make a claim can wipe out the feeling of that savings. I have a good long-term relationship with my agent which helps immensely.
Totally glad this is true for you AND I thought it was for me, until a couple of months ago when my house took a direct lightning strike. Since I'm still in the middle of this, I won't elaborate more except to completely agree with what a previous poster said: "State Farm (Snake Farm) - do anything possible to avoid paying claims."
Old 05-09-2021, 04:01 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Does anyone use Hagerty, or even National Corvette Museum insurance for these cars, as limited use pleasure cars? The policies have many restrictions, but how many people take a 911 grocery shopping or to the mall? And you have to park in a locked garage while the car is at your home, but many people do that anyway. NCM even has a rider you can add to take a car to work twice a week.
Why wouldn’t you take a 911 shopping or to Costco? It’s not that precious, hell I use Costco gas and often see Rollers and other far more expensive cars there. It’s just a car, a nice car but just a car.
The following 4 users liked this post by aggie57:
Cotechia (10-17-2021), detansinn (05-09-2021), josephr25 (05-10-2021), Tedster (05-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Which insurer do you use for your cars?