Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which insurer do you use for your cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 05:47 PM
992brian
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 45 Posts

Probably depends on your agent. I have had the same Farmers agent for 10+ years since I started driving. Now have homes+cars+umbrella insurance with them and prices were competitive. An interesting tidbit was that for my old Models S, the Tesla Insurance is way pricier than my 911. lol.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:15 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 997usa
I am making a gross generalization, but once you get into the higher end cars, most likely you have a higher end home, and a higher net worth. The 'retail' insurers won't protect you properly. Try looking into the Chubbs, AIG, Pure etc for a much better level of service. You'd be surprised to see that they are not even that much more expensive, but offer much better claim handling / coverage.
I've seen a version of this stated on Rennlist from time to time, but haven't seen an anecdote yet from a Porsche owner who has not received what they would deem proper coverage from the likes of reputable insurers like State Farm. I'm not denying the possibility, but can anyone substantiate this claim? Have you been screwed by your insurer on a claim for a modern C2S/C4S to the point you decided to go with any of the aforementioned insurers (Chubb, AIG, Pure, etc.)?
Old 05-05-2021, 06:16 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
PURE for my house and 993 with agreed value policy. Traveller's for my other cars.
Did you have your 992 C2S on Travelers or PURE?
Old 05-05-2021, 06:26 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 955 Likes on 531 Posts

Does anyone use Hagerty, or even National Corvette Museum insurance for these cars, as limited use pleasure cars? The policies have many restrictions, but how many people take a 911 grocery shopping or to the mall? And you have to park in a locked garage while the car is at your home, but many people do that anyway. NCM even has a rider you can add to take a car to work twice a week.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:41 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,952 Likes on 5,210 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Does anyone use Hagerty, or even National Corvette Museum insurance for these cars, as limited use pleasure cars? The policies have many restrictions, but how many people take a 911 grocery shopping or to the mall? And you have to park in a locked garage while the car is at your home, but many people do that anyway. NCM even has a rider you can add to take a car to work twice a week.
The problem with Hagerty is, as you mentioned, it limits what you can do with your car.

And, yes, for what it's worth I did and do take all my Porsche's grocery shopping, including Costco runs. Plus, I get to fill up on Costco gas at the same time. Win win.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:02 PM
bigmoney
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 for State Farm, reasonable rates, but no diminished value other than collision they will try to get from the other insurance policy
Old 05-05-2021, 07:22 PM
mathus7
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I have State Farm for my cars, home, and umbrella.

I don't necessarily price shop to the lowest denominator, but I do know that the one time I had to submit a claim to State Farm (when I was sideswiped merging onto the freeway and then T-Boned by oncoming traffic at freeway speeds and ended up in the ICU and a week's stay in the hospital), State Farm took care of everything. Paid me in full for my Porsche 991 911 C4S and even sent me flowers and gift baskets while I was in the hospital.

While State Farm may not be lowest in terms of price, they are low enough for me. More importantly, when the time comes I have to actually use my insurance, I know that the process will be as hassle-free and painless as possible.

YMMV of course.
Same here. I have four vehicles ( three Porsches and a Subaru) , home and umbrella policies all with State Farm. Have used State Farm and same local agent for two decades.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:26 PM
ChrisGT3
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonNY
So recently I was rear-ended in my Audi sedan and brought the car to an authorized body shop in Pompano Beach FL that is manuf authorized for several high end brands and is owned by Fort Lauderdale Ferrari. I have State Farm for my cars and the at-fault driver has Allstate. When I told the guy I had State Farm he flat out said they won't do business with them because they lowball the payments and ultimately the repair gets rejected. Normally you use your own insurance as an intermediary and they collect from the at-fault insurer. Shop said he wouldn't even deal with them at that level. If I wanted to call the at-fault drivers Allstate and make the claim directly that's the only way they would do business with me.

Obviously I'm now concerned I have a crap insurer on my cars and if I have to make a claim with State Farm where I'm at fault or an uninsured motorist situation I will have a hard time getting a quality shop to work on my expensive cars. What's everyone else using for insurance and your experience? Thanks
Did the body shop say which insurance company they prefer to work with?
I have State Farm
Old 05-05-2021, 07:41 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChrisGT3
Did the body shop say which insurance company they prefer to work with?
I have State Farm
Literally anyone but State Farm. He said even Geico pays better than SF 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 05-05-2021, 07:50 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 762 Likes on 431 Posts

I have Geico because the Mechanical Breakdown Coverage has been great in the past..they have paid for repairs at the dealership without question on multiple occasions. I have never had a problem with them eventually paying the body shop I use an agreed upon rate...obviously initially they under ball the repair but eventually they pay the auto body shop for the proper repair.

The OP may have different experiences with State Farm than others because Florida is the capital of insurance fraud, and many insurers are also trying to claw back massive insurance losses in that particular market from fraud and from huge property losses.

Last edited by malba2366; 05-05-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:56 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I have and am happy with USAA, but I really don't think you have an insurance company problem. Frankly, it sounds like you may need/want to seek out another repair facility. Some years ago I had a different high end car and was T-Boned when the other driver ran a red light. I took the car to a facility that does restoration work for cars that win prizes in Pebble Beach. The other fellows insurance company representative took a deep breath, but they paid the bill.

Ditto. Lifelong USAA person.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:03 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
Did you have your 992 C2S on Travelers or PURE?
992 is on Travelers
Old 05-05-2021, 08:07 PM
WellDressedCar
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

So recently I was rear-ended in my Audi sedan and brought the car to an authorized body shop in Pompano Beach FL that is manuf authorized for several high end brands and is owned by Fort Lauderdale Ferrari. I have State Farm for my cars and the at-fault driver has Allstate. When I told the guy I had State Farm he flat out said they won't do business with them because they lowball the payments and ultimately the repair gets rejected. Normally you use your own insurance as an intermediary and they collect from the at-fault insurer. Shop said he wouldn't even deal with them at that level. If I wanted to call the at-fault drivers Allstate and make the claim directly that's the only way they would do business with me.

Obviously I'm now concerned I have a crap insurer on my cars and if I have to make a claim with State Farm where I'm at fault or an uninsured motorist situation I will have a hard time getting a quality shop to work on my expensive cars. What's everyone else using for insurance and your experience? Thanks
I've heard from neighbors and friends over the years that State Farm is a joke. All shared horror stories about them. They don't want to pay out on claims and are a PITA. This goes for home and auto insurance.

I've been a USAA since I was 16. Always treated me well, even when things were my fault. Never have had an issue. Plus, if you ever live overseas, they'll insure your car(s) even if they have a lien on them. They'll also finance your cars, unlike most US banks who want your car to stay on US soil.

I'd look elsewhere for insurance if I were you.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:13 PM
WellDressedCar
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

I've heard from neighbors and friends over the years that State Farm is a joke. All shared horror stories about them. They don't want to pay out on claims and are a PITA. This goes for home and auto insurance.

I've been a USAA since I was 16. Always treated me well, even when things were my fault. Never have had an issue. Plus, if you ever live overseas, they'll insure your car(s) even if they have a lien on them. They'll also finance your cars, unlike most US banks who want your car to stay on US soil.

I'd look elsewhere for insurance if I were you.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:17 PM
PJSD
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 60 Posts

I use AIG Private Client. Chubb is great, Amica is great. These cost more, but worth it if you need to use your insurance. I am an accident/injury attorney, I deal with them all the time. And every claim is different, but they all can be difficult. USAA is great for their members. AAA is pretty good. Liberty Mutual is ok. Here are the worst, in no particular order:

1. GEICO (horrible to deal with and focus only on selling cheap premiums, no customer service when sh** hits fan)
2. Mercury
3. State Farm (Snake Farm) - do anything possible to avoid paying claims.
4. Allstate (Allsnake) - do anything to avoid paying claims.
5. Progressive
6. 21st Century (part of Farmers)
7. Wawanesa
8. Kemper

Quick Reply: Which insurer do you use for your cars?