Sponsored by:

Newbie 2022 992 C2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 08:52 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Can you remotely use a laser pointer to get it to chase the red dot around the garage too while you are gone? Oh wait, that would be a Jag feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_mJLlWRX1E
We don't have a cat. If we did, I'd certainly consider it a useful option.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:33 PM
2022_992
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
From what my C2S does, it seems like the same thing described with different words. I’d need to have someone show me the difference I suppose. My wife’s BMW allows you to remotely access the cameras at any time. Now THAT I’d pay extra for on my 911! Even better, if like her BMW it would capture and save video of any significant jolts to the car. Now THAT can be useful. I had to add Garmin Cameras front and rear to accomplish this feature on my C2S.
So I came across a video on the Taycan and looks like this is what they call 3D surround view. This is coming to the 2022 model, figured might be helpful for others too.
The following 4 users liked this post by 2022_992:
aggie57 (05-06-2021), Bluehighways (05-06-2021), Mark Nuanual (05-16-2021), OliverK68 (06-14-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 05:47 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by 2022_992
So I came across a video on the Taycan and looks like this is what they call 3D surround view. This is coming to the 2022 model, figured might be helpful for others too.
Thank you that really helps. What my 2021 C2S has, is what he refers to in the video as the "Conventional View". My 2021 does not have the 3D view that he shows in this video.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:04 PM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice job choosing the base Carrera! I'm of the "base is best" camp myself, along with a plethora of other automotive journalists.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...pecs-features/
Nope, at no point during the week did I need—or desire—more power or capability.

At every speed, in every gear, there's more potential forward momentum than anyone needs in any sports car, full stop.

Equipped with the Sport Chrono package like this tester, 0-60-mph takes a claimed 3.8 seconds, but from the way the digital speedo spins and my lower back compresses, mid-to-lowish 3s are more realistic.

​​
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/pors...l-first-drive/
This ain't no consolation prize. It's the prize you greet every morning in the garage, every evening on the way home from work, and twice on Sunday. There's no such thing as a "base" 911.
My build, if you're interested in the approach I took for a C2: http://www.porsche-code.com/PMVADYQ2
It's a full 14k cheeper than your budget and I even have a 4k interior: sport-tex with deviated chalk stitching and the required Sports Seats Plus (SSP)

To stay in the spirit of the base model and stay in your budget:
- Keep the 19/20s. They're one of the best parts of the C2.
- Keep the paint choice Solid or Metallic. Chalk is 4k.
- Option some sportiness. It's an "entry level" sports car and won't be quiet and elegant like a 992 Turbo. (Watch the Henry's Garage reviews on the 992s to see how loud they can be.)
- If InnoDrive is better than Lane Keep Assist (LKA) it might be worth spec-ing. Nick Murray on YouTube shows that LKA is pretty much worthless.
- These are small cars with great visibility. The fenders are visible even in low seating position and you can position the car pretty well without craning your neck. I wouldn't even consider a 360 camera system; the rear camera is more than enough. Also, the cameras the system adds on the mirrors are unsightly to my eyes.

A general note:
Avoid as much high-tech as you can if you don't want to end up in a 2023 car. Things like 18-way seats are pushing builds back by months. My car has 4-ways (likely lying around or less chips required) and it will be delivered a full month EARLY.

Your dealer will probably tell you the same.

Originally Posted by nyca
I am interested to hear people's opinion on the sport chrono. If you aren't really using it to time yourself, and you consider launch control to be something you just want to experience a few times but not use regularly - are any of the other pieces of that package, worth it?
You get dynamic engine mounts and complete SW remappings of the suspension, engine, and exhaust subsystems, for starters. It's also a Sports Car, so it's harmonious with the philosophy of the vehicle to include it. Resale is going to be better because of this.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:17 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 917 Likes on 512 Posts

Good analysis, thanks.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:35 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by 2022_992
Thanks. That's pretty fancy, and for the record I would never order a 992 without Surround view. I have a pretty lightly optioned 2S so have 3 diamond buttons, one of them is set to Surround. I use it all the time.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
gcurnew (05-08-2021), rob929 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 06:53 PM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

Received 428 Likes on 127 Posts

Some good thoughts so far, but one huge disagreement - don’t delete the sunroof. These are small vehicles, the interior needs a bit more light and space and the glass sunroof allows for that.

I use mine all the time, open and closed. At night it’s particularly nice in a city.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:35 PM
timjab
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

A general note:
Avoid as much high-tech as you can if you don't want to end up in a 2023 car. Things like 18-way seats are pushing builds back by months. My car has 4-ways (likely lying around or less chips required) and it will be

im in the same boat. Went with 4 ways. Limited options on my base I suspect, has moved up my initial delivery date from mid July to May 28
im at emden now getting ready to load on the car carrier.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:40 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,820 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by reloader-1
Some good thoughts so far, but one huge disagreement - don’t delete the sunroof. These are small vehicles, the interior needs a bit more light and space and the glass sunroof allows for that.

I use mine all the time, open and closed. At night it’s particularly nice in a city.
I was on the fence about the glass sunroof but unfortunately in my opinion it makes the top of the car quite ugly. So I opted not to get it.

I would have preferred if the strips between the windshield and the sunroof and between the sunroof and the back windshield had been body panels like on the solid sunroof, with only the glass square in the center. Instead, any 992 you see from the front that has a sunroof has a black stripe behind the top of the windshield, and an unappealing wield aesthetic where the top of the a pillars are not straight.

Glass Roof

Metal Roof

What they should have done

Here you can see the pillars.

But that's just my OCD.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
gcurnew (05-08-2021), ImpliedPlot712 (05-13-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 07:17 PM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

Received 428 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I was on the fence about the glass sunroof but unfortunately in my opinion it makes the top of the car quite ugly. So I opted not to get it.

I would have preferred if the strips between the windshield and the sunroof and between the sunroof and the back windshield had been body panels like on the solid sunroof, with only the glass square in the center. Instead, any 992 you see from the front that has a sunroof has a black stripe behind the top of the windshield, and an unappealing wield aesthetic where the top of the a pillars are not straight.

Glass Roof

Metal Roof

What they should have done

Here you can see the pillars.

But that's just my OCD.
The new 2022 992s are exactly as you describe.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,682 Likes on 5,112 Posts

How often does one have a birds-eye view of their car? So that the roofline and pillars become an eye-sore?
Old 05-11-2021, 07:25 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

If I go on the configurator the 2022 992s still have the black strip front and back of the glass sunroof, NOT the body strips like on the metal sunroof. The pic I posted of the blue car the way I would like to see it was from the configurator right after the 2022 config went live and had a ton of bugs. It is back to looking the way he 2020 and 2021 cars looked. My guess is they did not change it and that was just a temporary web render bug.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:29 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
How often does one have a birds-eye view of their car? So that the roofline and pillars become an eye-sore?
Like I said, maybe my OCD, but the car is 50-51" tall. So every time you walk up to it you are above the roofline. That was just an aesthetic I didn't care for.

I also never use the sunroofs in my vehicles. So getting it would have been for the lightening of the cabin, which I decided didn't outweigh the aesthetic aspects.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:50 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Daft Chief
- If InnoDrive is better than Lane Keep Assist (LKA) it might be worth spec-ing. Nick Murray on YouTube shows that LKA is pretty much worthless.
Though I don't think this feature meets the OP's criteria Innodrive is better than LKA. There appears to have been some major software up-grade between the early models (like the one Nick drove) and the latest 2021 models. My 2021 C4S certainly does not "bounce around in the lane" in my experience of it and consistently tracks around bends on the freeway with hands-off the wheel, if that is your thing. The main irritant is the nanny that tells you to put your hands back on the wheel every 10-12 seconds. There is a lot of misinformation on this feature based on out-of-date reviews.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:28 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by phila12180
As I said in my previous reply, I did not order Sport Chrono and the reasons you stated are basically the reasons that I didn't get it. I am 65 years old and just not interested in racing someone off the line, I would probably play with it a few times when I first got it then after the novelty would wear off I would hardly ever use it. The Sport Plus mode would be nice but again I can live without it. Not worth the $2500 or what ever it is. I know a lot of 911 owners disagree but that is my 2 cents.
It a thought I have yet to really drive my car in Sports PLUS really yet at all...too harsh for most street driving. But find that cars without are closely scrutinized at time for re-sale and that particular omission does not do well.
Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Try this combination: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN2PEIR8

Delete:
$2,000 Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass (The money you save here gets you a very nice leather interior. FWIW, folks that have a sunroof almost never use it.)
$280 Power Steering Plus (Not needed.)
$420 Central Tachometer in Racing Yellow (Yuck!)
$1,260 Interior Trim Inlays in Brushed Aluminum (You get this with the Interior Trim Inlays in Leather)
$6,950 Premium Package with Remote ParkAssist (Unless you absolutely need to have the car v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y move in and out of a very narrow parking slot this is a waste.)
$3,380 Sport Exhaust System incl. Exclusive Design Tailpipes in Silver (Save some $$$ and get the Tailpipes in Silver/chrome)
Total: $14,290

Add:
$4,530 Leather Interior / Leather Seats (Leather Seats. . . . and much more)
$5,350 Premium Package (Everything except the Park Assist)
$2,950 Sport Exhaust System incl. Exclusive Design Tailpipes in Silver (Chrome tips versus two two tone painted tips)
$0 Smoking Package (A must have, hidden treasure)
$1,260 Interior Trim Inlays in Leather (Gets the Silver Trim plus more leather)
$89 All-weather floor mats (in interior color: Black) (Less expensive than Weather-Tech and much nicer looking.)
Total: $14,179

New Car Price: $131,030 (Saves $101)
Saving money is great but IMHO sunroof is a good option and adds light into the car. Have it on my car and love it. Even just letting the light in without fully opening it is great. Park assist? Save it for a BMW sedan or something...car is so low and small that easy to park...same reasons don't want a self park and self driving/ACC version. Have stick also so that makes it simple for one of those options as unavail in the 7 spd manual. Premium package is okay...depending on what you want overall and agree Sport exhaust just stick with basic sport oval tips...no need for the special design ones at the added cost unless you just need to be special. Leather trim inlays...depends on your desires but I've always shied away from having more leather in my car than an executive desk...I mean its as sports car and IMHO outside the wheel itself and maybe seats just doesn't lend anything to the driving experience IMHO. Looks/Aesthetics only. I have basic leather and 4 way seats and car does fine and never notice it at speed!
Originally Posted by drcollie
Sport Chrono is one option you should get even if you don't think you will use it, cars without it get dinged at resale that don't have it. It comes with some added features depending on the 992 model and transmission. Even if you are not "racing" its nice to turn it on and get the firmed up suspension, the dynamic engine mounts and a more aggressive engine map. I'm 66 years old - I use it !
See above...without it some will not look at the car on resale or will drop in value. Not that you buy it for that but it does help tie things together a bit more.

Me too...use mine every drive...just even if just opening up sunshade to give more light into the interior (black for me over Chalk).
Originally Posted by timjab
A general note:
Avoid as much high-tech as you can if you don't want to end up in a 2023 car. Things like 18-way seats are pushing builds back by months. My car has 4-ways (likely lying around or less chips required) and it will be

im in the same boat. Went with 4 ways. Limited options on my base I suspect, has moved up my initial delivery date from mid July to May 28
im at emden now getting ready to load on the car carrier.
I got 4 ways not due to chip shortages although can see how that is playing out but cause I am the only one driving the car 99% of the time...so how many memory saved positions does ONE driver really need? Just sayin....
Yes so horrible...must go drive mine immediately!

Quick Reply: Newbie 2022 992 C2 Questions