992 C2S newbie buying questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 05:51 PM
clooloss
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 992 C2S newbie buying questions

Hi all,

Looking to pull the trigger on a 911 and this will be the first new Porsche I’ve purchased (we got my wife’s Cayenne S used). I’m not in a rush to get this but don’t want to be waiting forever either. I did a search of the forums and read the last 10 pages on this particular forum and would love your input on the following.
  1. 992 C2S, if anyone is really interested in the spec, code is PN84JT17.
  2. Any options you feel are must-have or definitely-don’t-need?
  3. With current high demand, I’m not expecting any discount. Does this sound right?
  4. My dealer doesn’t appear to have an allocation, he said “he’s confident he’d be able to swap with another dealer and lead time is around 10 months”. If he isn’t able to and it pushes to the next model year, I’m assuming my pricing goes away and I’m subject to any price increases for the next model year?
  5. I’d really like to take delivery in December at the earliest to avoid some ST capital gains when I make this purchase – am I safe or is there a good chance that it comes in much sooner?
  6. Anything else I’m missing?

Thanks in advance,
-c.

Last edited by clooloss; 05-03-2021 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:57 PM
bkknight369
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

Welcome! Most noobs (myself included) started with similar posts. Best bet is to search the forum for specific options, otherwise your question #2 is too broad.

Finding an allocation will be challenging, especially at MSRP these days. Try looking on porsche finder for certified cars with low miles that have the options you want
The following users liked this post:
clooloss (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 06:26 PM
TJ74
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I was in the same boat as you about 8 months ago. I have never owned any Porsche product. I started reading the forum to get an idea about discounts, allocations, options, etc. I went to my local dealer and told the salesman that I was just starting the process and asked him about allocations and some other things I couldn’t find answers to here. I went back in January and said that I was ready, built a car and agreed on a price. I got 4% off, he said since I was local they wanted to keep me as a customer. YMMV of course. He did not have an allocation, but like your dealer said he was confident that if he didn’t get one in the next round he could trade for one and that he felt I would have a car June/July. He got me an allocation that just locked on 4/23 and the car is supposed to be delivered 6/18. Now if Porsche can give me access to Track Your Dream I’d be able see if my delivery is being affected by the chip shortage.

I’d say give your dealer a shot at trying to get you an allocation. Also call other dealers in your area or as far away as you are comfortable and see if you can do better. Any allocation that you will get now will be for a ‘22 so the $2000 price increase is already factored in. I don’t know how successful you will be in timing delivery for a specific month in this weird Covid world? Good luck.

Last edited by TJ74; 05-03-2021 at 06:30 PM.
clooloss (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 07:08 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,542 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Originally Posted by clooloss
Hi all,

Looking to pull the trigger on a 911 and this will be the first new Porsche I’ve purchased (we got my wife’s Cayenne S used). I’m not in a rush to get this but don’t want to be waiting forever either. I did a search of the forums and read the last 10 pages on this particular forum and would love your input on the following.
  1. 992 C2S, if anyone is really interested in the spec, code is PN84JT17.
  2. Any options you feel are must-have or definitely-don’t-need?
  3. With current high demand, I’m not expecting any discount. Does this sound right?
  4. My dealer doesn’t appear to have an allocation, he said “he’s confident he’d be able to swap with another dealer and lead time is around 10 months”. If he isn’t able to and it pushes to the next model year, I’m assuming my pricing goes away and I’m subject to any price increases for the next model year?
  5. I’d really like to take delivery in December at the earliest to avoid some ST capital gains when I make this purchase – am I safe or is there a good chance that it comes in much sooner?
  6. Anything else I’m missing?

Thanks in advance,
-c.
Some thoughts.

1. No additional leather, but you spec (an essentially useless) fire extinguisher? Interesting.
2. Consider getting the extended range fuel tank
3. Consider the Sports Chrono Pkg.
4. Yeah, discounts are going to be hard to come by, assuming you even get an allocation
5. December delivery may be quite ambitious, esp. considering the traditional August factory shutdown in Germany coupled with the chip shortage.

Enjoy the hunt, and the wait. It's half the fun.
clooloss (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 07:13 PM
clooloss
Instructor

Originally Posted by bkknight369
Welcome! Most noobs (myself included) started with similar posts. Best bet is to search the forum for specific options, otherwise your question #2 is too broad.

Finding an allocation will be challenging, especially at MSRP these days. Try looking on porsche finder for certified cars with low miles that have the options you want
Good point - I'll research the individual options.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:16 PM
clooloss
Instructor

Originally Posted by TJ74
I was in the same boat as you about 8 months ago. I have never owned any Porsche product. I started reading the forum to get an idea about discounts, allocations, options, etc. I went to my local dealer and told the salesman that I was just starting the process and asked him about allocations and some other things I couldn’t find answers to here. I went back in January and said that I was ready, built a car and agreed on a price. I got 4% off, he said since I was local they wanted to keep me as a customer. YMMV of course. He did not have an allocation, but like your dealer said he was confident that if he didn’t get one in the next round he could trade for one and that he felt I would have a car June/July. He got me an allocation that just locked on 4/23 and the car is supposed to be delivered 6/18. Now if Porsche can give me access to Track Your Dream I’d be able see if my delivery is being affected by the chip shortage.

I’d say give your dealer a shot at trying to get you an allocation. Also call other dealers in your area or as far away as you are comfortable and see if you can do better. Any allocation that you will get now will be for a ‘22 so the $2000 price increase is already factored in. I don’t know how successful you will be in timing delivery for a specific month in this weird Covid world? Good luck.
I'm prepared for not getting any discount - if I got 4% I'd be ecstatic. I appreciate the response - I may get the ball rolling with this sooner rather than later.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:20 PM
clooloss
Instructor

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Some thoughts.

1. No additional leather, but you spec (an essentially useless) fire extinguisher? Interesting.
2. Consider getting the extended range fuel tank
3. Consider the Sports Chrono Pkg.
4. Yeah, discounts are going to be hard to come by, assuming you even get an allocation
5. December delivery may be quite ambitious, esp. considering the traditional August factory shutdown in Germany coupled with the chip shortage.

Enjoy the hunt, and the wait. It's half the fun.
  1. I did spec a fire extinguisher. This is from personal experience and may be purely psychological comfort but I will never drive another car without a fire extinguisher within easy reach. As far as additional leather goes, what would you recommend? There's just so many options.
  2. Great point on the extended range fuel tank.
  3. As far as I can see, the manual comes equipped with the sports chrono package.
  4. Yes, ready and willing to pay retail on this one.
  5. If it's probably delivery would be after December, that gives me the comfort and confidence to put an order in now.
Thanks very much for your input.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:23 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

1. I did spec a fire extinguisher. This is from personal experience and may be purely psychological comfort but I will never drive another car without a fire extinguisher within easy reach. As far as additional leather goes, what would you recommend? There's just so many options.
  2. Great point on the extended range fuel tank.
  3. As far as I can see, the manual comes equipped with the sports chrono package.
  4. Yes, ready and willing to pay retail on this one.
  5. If it's probably delivery would be after December, that gives me the comfort and confidence to put an order in now.
Thanks very much for your input.
You're right, my bad. Missed that you had 7MT.
clooloss (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 07:55 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

Don’t get hung up on the additional leather. It depends on what you are trying to achieve. I wanted a car that evokes the history of the 911 as a SPORTS CAR. The interiors of 911 were never luxury environments. I skipped the leather and don’t care, less maintenance as far as I’m concerned. But if you want “luxury” then go for it. Since you won’t be touching most of those surfaces, to me it’s just an affectation.
The following 2 users liked this post by SBAD:
clooloss (05-03-2021), Tedster (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 08:36 PM
clooloss
Instructor

Originally Posted by SBAD
Don’t get hung up on the additional leather. It depends on what you are trying to achieve. I wanted a car that evokes the history of the 911 as a SPORTS CAR. The interiors of 911 were never luxury environments. I skipped the leather and don’t care, less maintenance as far as I’m concerned. But if you want “luxury” then go for it. Since you won’t be touching most of those surfaces, to me it’s just an affectation.
Very good point. With all the options, it's way too easy to lose my head. I'm shooting for the driving experience - not so much for luxury so I'll probably go with my original gut feeling.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:42 PM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

I just placed a deposit to be on the list for allocation for a C2S from my dealership today as well. I live in a city full of rich people where people are asking for above MSRP for used Porsches...my SA told me roughly 4 to 8 months for an allocation plus 3 to 4 months for build time, so realistically about a year. I went for an enthusiast spec and the only options I got were MT with sport chrono, sport exhaust, and premium package.
clooloss (05-06-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 08:46 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 947 Posts

My build came in around your price point but with some interior options, quite a few actually, b/c for me, that is where I spend all the time when I drive, and also a fair amount of performance related. So a fair mix.

You can see my options here in this post - https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1249...l#post17408108

I like the color choice but that is preference, and I'm not a fan of black wheels, but that is also preference. I think the best look on Chalk is the Classics or the Exclusives with the Satin or Gloss Black painted on the parts that get it, which is not the whole wheel. IT LOOKS AMAZING against that color. But that is opinion.

I wouldn't get the premium but pick and choose. I don't see Surround, Power Folding or PDLS+ as worth it. Surround if you really think you need it, but the car has LIDAR sensors all over it and will give you proximity warnings and has a rear camera. LCA isn't something I spec'd but a good option.
I did go PASM Sport w/ PSE as well in the Sport Package. There is a lot of debate on the lift system. I said, it is still going to get scrapped, so unless you have some severe spots where you know you will need it, use entry and departure angle to avoid killing your front lip, and be prepared to swap out the lip at some point. And yes, get a Leather Interior. The $3,830 Leather in Black or Slate or Black or Slate w/ the Chalk Stitching are all nice. If you like the Slate have you considered the Slate / Chalk interior for $4,260 with the all Chalk seats. I would have done that if the Chalk went with Black. I didn't want the Slate steering wheel and dash myself.
clooloss (05-06-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 01:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Very good point. With all the options, it's way too easy to lose my head. I'm shooting for the driving experience - not so much for luxury so I'll probably go with my original gut feeling.
If driving experience, then get the CF roof. And add the PCCBs.
clooloss (05-06-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 01:35 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
Gee, I don't know. I've had several 356's and every one had a leather interior; Seats and Door Panels. It's only when the 911 series came along that a lot of interiors became what they called at the time "Leatherette" . . . . which was/is plastic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
clooloss (05-06-2021), rk-d (05-06-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 03:46 AM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Gee, I don't know. I've had several 356's and every one had a leather interior; Seats and Door Panels. It's only when the 911 series came along that a lot of interiors became what they called at the time "Leatherette" . . . . which was/is plastic.
Good point, but I think that during the time of the 356, artificial leather had not yet been invented/perfected. So it was either cloth or leather to line the interior of cars at that time. I know many will disagree, but leather is becoming an anachronism for car interiors, and even motorcycles. I just went recently to buy a new riding jacket and most of the choices were high performance synthetic weaves - unless you wanted to pay 3X. And perhaps that is the real question - when choosing options does one have a budget? If not, sure, throw in the leather, it won’t detract in any way, but if you have a budget, $4K can go a long way to other performance oriented options.
clooloss (05-06-2021)

Quick Reply: 992 C2S newbie buying questions