Targa sports suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 01:16 AM
returnedto911
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Targa sports suspension

Any ideas why Targa doesn’t have sports suspended option? Too heavy 🤔

Was that same for 991.2? And what about Targa GTS...?
Old 04-29-2021, 02:02 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 839 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by returnedto911

I believe because of weight. Yes, the 991.1 and .2 Targas also didn’t offer SPASM either. The GTS got a 10mm lower ride height instead of the 20mm reduction of the coupe and cab.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 04-29-2021 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:51 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
I believe because of weight. Yes, the 991.1 and .2 Targas also didn’t offer SPASM either. The GTS got a 10mm lower ride height instead of the 20mm reduction of the coupe and cab.
i never knew this. I thought all SPASM lowering was 10mm across all platforms. I lowered our Targa with a HAS from Techart 20mm...and while I find I it perfect, I am surprised a manufacturer would sell a car at that height - particularly without FAL.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:05 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Wait somebody else just told me that the targa GTS on 991 didn't get any lower suspension.... I'm so confused about this. I've kind of been holding off to see the targa gts hoping that it gets slightly lower ride height vs t4s. (also allocations are 10k+MSRP minimum right now so I'm waiting it out anyways)
Old 04-29-2021, 02:41 PM
Jeremy Johnson
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am thinking about the targa also, but am interested in what GTS gets. But I find it hilarious that everybody considers the targa heavy. Yes its heavIER than the rest but at 3600 lbs its not THAT heavy. GT500 is 4k+, new M4 3800+, Mustangs 3900+. Its still medium lightweight vs other 2 door options. So I really think it would be fine if you dropped it on KW Height adjustable springs down to less ride height. If I do get the targa I wouldn't have an issue dropping spring in it. I also would not want PDCC, as I want actual anti-roll bars and less computer fidgetry. It's why I'd spec a manual and pccb dropping weight probably 100 lbs. If the GTS comes with center lock wheels though I'll have to pass, 400 ft lbs torque wrenches just do not sound fun and extra maintainence.
The following users liked this post:
Go Bruins (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 02:56 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Johnson
I am thinking about the targa also, but am interested in what GTS gets. But I find it hilarious that everybody considers the targa heavy. Yes its heavIER than the rest but at 3600 lbs its not THAT heavy. GT500 is 4k+, new M4 3800+, Mustangs 3900+. Its still medium lightweight vs other 2 door options. So I really think it would be fine if you dropped it on KW Height adjustable springs down to less ride height. If I do get the targa I wouldn't have an issue dropping spring in it. I also would not want PDCC, as I want actual anti-roll bars and less computer fidgetry. It's why I'd spec a manual and pccb dropping weight probably 100 lbs. If the GTS comes with center lock wheels though I'll have to pass, 400 ft lbs torque wrenches just do not sound fun and extra maintainence.
historically you can spec other wheels on the GTS. I'm with you, unless they are absolutely stunning I'd option them out. Especially because I think the 992 has some of the best wheel options of maybe any production car ever. They really did a nice job on the wheel options for this gen in my opinion.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:41 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

It's not just heavIER, as you say.

It's where that weight lies, and the decrease of structural rigidity due to that additional weight.

The Targa's additional weight is higher up, thereby increasing the CoG. If you're looking at the G80 M4 or GT500, those cars are no doubt heavy, but their mass is generally down low (or below the belt line of the car). It's not high up on the car, like the Tartga, to account for the Targa's retractable roof.

To compound the added weight is the lack of structural rigidity because of the Targa roof.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:45 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 756 Posts

Or maybe it's related to the driver profile. The 991.2 springs had the softest ratios with the targa. I'm not sure about the 992.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:54 PM
Jeremy Johnson
Track Day

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

It's where that weight lies, and the decrease of structural rigidity due to that additional weight.

The Targa's additional weight is higher up, thereby increasing the CoG. If you're looking at the G80 M4 or GT500, those cars are no doubt heavy, but their mass is generally down low (or below the belt line of the car). It's not high up on the car, like the Tartga, to account for the Targa's retractable roof.

To compound the added weight is the lack of structural rigidity because of the Targa roof.
The only weight above is the targa bar (could argue similar to a roll cage (GT3 clubsport) weight gain) and glass total of 85 lbs, its already a stiff chassis with a ton of reinforcement down low. A GT500's motor is way taller and fatter above the front wheels, it has a big blower on it with heat exchanger up top, like the M4 its also a tall motor. The targa isnt that high either it's still over 3 inches shorter than the Mustang. I understand its more than a coupe but its still less than other 2 door cars in weight bias and COG.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:02 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

The structural rigidity of the 992 Targa is apparently better than that of the 991 coupe.

With a higher center of gravity you would think that would make the argument for the option of lowering the suspension.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:30 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by returnedto911

It's too flexible. It's a boulevard cruiser.
The following users liked this post:
uter (05-01-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 04:41 PM
Jeremy Johnson
Track Day

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
It's too flexible. It's a boulevard cruiser.
The 991 Targa was NOT the same rigidity as the new 992 Targa. The new 992 targa is just as stiff in the chassis rigidity as the 991 Coupe.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:52 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Honestly I don't understand why Porsche doesn't make a removable/stowable roof like the original targas. I don't even want that crazy complicated machinery. That solves the weight issue and saves considerable cost.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:00 PM
Jeremy Johnson
Track Day

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Honestly I don't understand why Porsche doesn't make a removable/stowable roof like the original targas. I don't even want that crazy complicated machinery. That solves the weight issue and saves considerable cost.
I guess in a case study people didn't want to get out of the car and wanted a button to press. Porsche I guess decided a push button solution made people happy.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:27 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

I guess in a case study people didn't want to get out of the car and wanted a button to press. Porsche I guess decided a push button solution made people happy.
I had a 2016 Boxster Spyder and never thought the somewhat finicky roof was an issue. Maybe I'm not the target demographic for a Targa (even though I'm waiting for an allocation) but I would have had no problem taking the top off myself and stowing it.

Quick Reply: Targa sports suspension