Sponsored by:

Lowering springs thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 06:59 PM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Lowering springs thoughts?

I know this has been posted before. I have seen a few posts but was wondering if there has been any updates.

I am debating on lowering my 992 c2s with spasm and pdcc by just using H&R springs.

Anyone running this set up have pics and feedback?

Any other spring set up's better or should we just avoid lowering springs all together?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2021, 07:02 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by ChalkThe911
I know this has been posted before. I have seen a few posts but was wondering if there has been any updates.

I am debating on lowering my 992 c2s with spasm and pdcc by just using H&R springs.

Anyone running this set up have pics and feedback?

Any other spring set up's better or should we just avoid lowering springs all together?

Thanks
Be prepared for a better look and a less compliant ride.
The following users liked this post:
drcollie (06-23-2022)
Old 04-28-2021, 07:09 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
Be prepared for a better look and a less compliant ride.
Or get coilovers and have a better look and a better ride.

If I was wanting to lower the 992, I'd look at the Bilstein EVO. I've never been happy with lowering springs, but coilovers are a different story.
STIGETTE (06-26-2022)
Old 04-28-2021, 07:13 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

IDK, the decision is your's not our's. Here is mine with H&R springs. I installed them the moment I got home from dealership so nothing to compare to. I have no issues with the ride. Car is lowered, scrapes on driveways and stuff, lower lip is replaceable so not too concerned, have not scraped anything with paint on it.

Had the BBi Swift springs been released when I bought my car, I would have probably went with them instead of H&R. Only because I know the guys at BBi and would have preferred to do business with them.

Attachment 1339791

Name:  58vurhl.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  2.83 MB
The following 2 users liked this post by Cheshi143:
blackreplica (05-11-2021), dhirm5 (05-03-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 07:20 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

I second rk-d's Bilstein EVO rec. I don't have my 992 yet, but I plan on lowering it w/ full coilovers. I've lowered every car I've ever owned and each time I went with springs only, it rode good for a few thousand miles, then the stock shocks wore out and it rode like crap until I eventually replaced the whole suspension w/ full coilovers. With respect to H&Rs, all the photos show it lowers the car too much IMO. This further exacerbates the wear on stock shocks and makes the ride quality worse. Some people just look at spring rates and want rates that are close to stock. Problem is, if your springs are too soft and the lowering is too extreme, the car bottoms out even more and makes the ride much harsher.

Of course, if the spring rates are too high, it just wears out the damping of the stock shocks even faster and, after a while, when you go over large bumps and undulating roads, the car will just pogo up and down repeatedly since the stock damping force has been worn out. For these reasons, it's always best to replace both shocks and springs w/ a matched coilover set up where the spring rates are matched to the damping characteristics of the shocks. Bilstein claims the OEM PASM set up is a Bilstein system so their EVO coilover is designed to integrate seamlessly into our cars. Sounds like the best of both worlds.

If you really want to stick w/ just springs, I would definitely get a height adjustable spring kit and run it with a very conservative drop... like no more than 15mm to prevent premature tire wear and preserve as much suspension travel as possible for both handling and ride quality. I think the TechArt HAS kit has less lowering than the K&W HAS kit so I'd go TechArt.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
Maitre_Absolut (05-09-2021), NigelPlays (05-05-2021), STIGETTE (06-26-2022)
Old 04-28-2021, 08:41 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
IDK, the decision is your's not our's. Here is mine with H&R springs. I installed them the moment I got home from dealership so nothing to compare to. I have no issues with the ride. Car is lowered, scrapes on driveways and stuff, lower lip is replaceable so not too concerned, have not scraped anything with paint on it.

Had the BBi Swift springs been released when I bought my car, I would have probably went with them instead of H&R. Only because I know the guys at BBi and would have preferred to do business with them.

Is this GR or CR? I still struggle to decide which one to choose.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:48 PM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Do you have PDCC, do the springs impact this?

Your ride def looks good.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:48 PM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I second rk-d's Bilstein EVO rec. I don't have my 992 yet, but I plan on lowering it w/ full coilovers. I've lowered every car I've ever owned and each time I went with springs only, it rode good for a few thousand miles, then the stock shocks wore out and it rode like crap until I eventually replaced the whole suspension w/ full coilovers. With respect to H&Rs, all the photos show it lowers the car too much IMO. This further exacerbates the wear on stock shocks and makes the ride quality worse. Some people just look at spring rates and want rates that are close to stock. Problem is, if your springs are too soft and the lowering is too extreme, the car bottoms out even more and makes the ride much harsher.

Of course, if the spring rates are too high, it just wears out the damping of the stock shocks even faster and, after a while, when you go over large bumps and undulating roads, the car will just pogo up and down repeatedly since the stock damping force has been worn out. For these reasons, it's always best to replace both shocks and springs w/ a matched coilover set up where the spring rates are matched to the damping characteristics of the shocks. Bilstein claims the OEM PASM set up is a Bilstein system so their EVO coilover is designed to integrate seamlessly into our cars. Sounds like the best of both worlds.

If you really want to stick w/ just springs, I would definitely get a height adjustable spring kit and run it with a very conservative drop... like no more than 15mm to prevent premature tire wear and preserve as much suspension travel as possible for both handling and ride quality. I think the TechArt HAS kit has less lowering than the K&W HAS kit so I'd go TechArt.
Thanks, I'll look into the Bilstein as well.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:07 AM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

FWIW the OEM shocks are Bilstein as well. The are virtually identical in technology to the EVO. The only real difference is the threaded body to make up the coilover. I'm sure it is a nice setup however.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:16 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 211 Posts

FWIW the OEM shocks are Bilstein as well. The are virtually identical in technology to the EVO. The only real difference is the threaded body to make up the coilover. I'm sure it is a nice setup however.

yes...I tend to agree with this statement. I tried to buy an EVO set for our Targa and swapped notes with the Bilstein rep in Germany after getting the run around for two months...and for our car, available in August or so was the message so an easy decision as I find the Targa too high out of the factory. Without asking specifically, I couldn’t get my head around what the real difference is between the OEM Bilstein set up and the EVO outside of height adjustment....and why the HAS from Techart coupled with the OEM Bilstein wouldn’t be equally satisfying. Don’t get me wrong, being the devoted purist that I am, I would have sucked up the five thousand euro cost (!!) to have in my mind the best solution that has been marketed to me......but I still didn’t understand if I was getting an ‘ah ha’ moment. I lower all my sports cars for vanity alone.....so not sharing an unbiased opinion...but I find the HAS from Techart a very nice product. This car is 20mm lower.

Last edited by Overdraft; 04-29-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:53 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
yes...I tend to agree with this statement. I tried to buy an EVO set for our Targa and swapped notes with the Bilstein rep in Germany after getting the run around for two months...and for our car, available in August or so was the message so an easy decision as I find the Targa too high out of the factory. Without asking specifically, I couldn’t get my head around what the real difference is between the OEM Bilstein set up and the EVO outside of height adjustment....and why the HAS from Techart coupled with the OEM Bilstein wouldn’t be equally satisfying. Don’t get me wrong, being the devoted purist that I am, I would have sucked up the five thousand euro cost (!!) to have in my mind the best solution that has been marketed to me......but I still didn’t understand if I was getting an ‘ah ha’ moment. I lower all my sports cars for vanity alone.....so not sharing an unbiased opinion...but I find the HAS from Techart a very nice product. This car is 20mm lower.
Car looks good.

Honestly, if the EVO product is simply a threaded OEM shock body I wouldn't get it either.

I have KW v3s on my 993 and the ability to dial in compression and rebound was really critical in getting the ride quality optimized with my suspension which was dropped down 50mm to RS standard.

Fully adjustable is the key point. A threaded shock body is fundamentally no different than HAS.

JRZ has an RS2 application for the 992. You'd have to use a PASM bypass or PIWIS to turn it off, but you'd get dual adjustable coilovers and the ability to totally dial in the performance.

For good size drops, there are always compromises. Just my experience, but adjustable coilovers are a game changer when it comes to that.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:07 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Just saw this video on another coilover set up available for 992s... The Ohlins Road & Track. The video is about his HRE rims but the 2nd half of the video is about his Ohlins coilover set up. He doesn't talk about whether they integrate with the stock PASM like the Bilstein EVO so not sure if they do or not:

Found the link on Ohlin's site. Since it talks about adjusting the dampers by turning the golden ****, they aren't integrated w/ PASM:
https://www.ohlins.com/product/road-...carrera-s-992/

Also, with respect to Bilstein EVO, there is no way those coilovers are just a sleeved spring kit over stock OEM Bilstein dampers. That would completely defeat the purpose of a matched spring/damper coilover set up. Those shocks have definitely been re-tuned and revalved to deal with the stiffer and lower springs.

Last edited by AlterZgo; 04-30-2021 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:01 PM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

This review isn’t very helpful with actual real world experience, but does review some of the technical specs/function of the PASM enabled shocks. It does suggest that there is a bigger delta between the normal and sport/stiff settings than the stock set up with PASM, maybe softer soft and stiffer stiff functionally. In an earlier post on this forum, it was stated that they wouldn’t be available in the US until June at the earliest. Lots of interest and speculation at this point, but the potential for a much better solution than shorter, stiffer springs or height adjustable springs alone.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...s-150298.html#

AlterZgo (04-30-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 02:12 AM
ChalkThe911
Racer

I assume if I just go oem and then techart or H&R the pdcc and everything will be ok?

I am kinda leaning towards springs in such that when the oem shocks blow then I can replace with a coil over set up..

Having said that. If the springs are already harsh when pdcc is on how much worse is it? Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 05-01-2021, 05:22 AM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ChalkThe911
I assume if I just go oem and then techart or H&R the pdcc and everything will be ok?

I am kinda leaning towards springs in such that when the oem shocks blow then I can replace with a coil over set up..

Having said that. If the springs are already harsh when pdcc is on how much worse is it? Anyone have any experience with this?
This we don’t know yet.

As for that pdcc button, it seems to do two things..... 1. Stiffens the decoupled anti roll bars and 2. Stiffens the dampers.

It’s probably worth a conversation (email or phone) with a couple of the aftermarket spring providers about how it would work. They may have more intel to help decide what’s best for a lower car / decent ride / not killing the dampers and antiroll bars
ChalkThe911 (05-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Lowering springs thoughts?