Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 05:31 PM
LAMANC
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
From a US spec configuration printout, under ‘standard equioment’:

Cool - one less grumble...

I also just checked the owners book and they are indeed turned on with the rear defrost.

The following users liked this post:
Moosedoc (02-25-2022)
Old 04-28-2021, 06:26 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

If you have a cab, you probably want a SmartTop anyway, just for the one-touch operation. It can be configured to deal with the windows at the same time.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:28 PM
LAMANC
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
If you have a cab, you probably want a SmartTop anyway, just for the one-touch operation. It can be configured to deal with the windows at the same time.
what is a SmartTop

Old 04-28-2021, 06:30 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Basically a way to make the top work the way it would work if engineers rather than trial lawyers ran the show.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:28 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 665 Posts

Have roughly 1000 miles. Mostly enjoying it although agree with many of the comments in this thread (especially cheap plasticky-looking interior trim).
Biggest issues:

- two completely false collision warnings. In one case the car jolted the brakes on. There were absolutely ZERO cars around me. I was in a residential area just leaving a stop sign and heading toward another at about 20 mph, entering a sweeping left turn. A woman was on the sidewalk at least 6 car lengths away and I believe the camera reacted to her. That was the ONLY thing I can think of. It was very startling to have the car “ding”, and see the warning on the dash, and have the brakes jolt me in my seat. The second time it was only the “ding” and warning on the dash (no brakes). I was in stop/go city traffic with cars all around. I drove in this traffic for 15 minutes but only once did it warn me even though the circumstances lasted for 15 minutes.

My computer completely froze. Started car as usual. After several moments went to disable stop/start (this is my usual pre-flight routine). The screen didn’t respond. Tried again. Nothing. Then thought I’d switch to a new screen (NAV) and then back - but the screen wouldn’t change, didn’t respond. Drove about 15 minutes. Parked. Turned off car completely (and removed key). Waited a couple minutes. Restarted. Screen still completely frozen.

Called my dealer and spoke to the “Porsche Tech Genius” who gave a couple possible reasons why it froze. He also walked me through a hard reboot if needed. I waited a couple hours and then restarted the car and it was fine (no need for hard reboot). Very annoying that the screen froze and hoping these things are flukes.

The dealer checked it for codes or updates and it needed nothing (showed no codes). We’ll see what happens. Otherwise it’s a nice car.

Last edited by needmoregarage; 05-17-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:19 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,357 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Same on the Macan, heated mirrors (as well as heated windshield - a total waste it turns out) are activated via Rear Defrost. But no light or other indication that it's actually doing any of those.

As to options that have been available for free as far back as the very early 60s... self dimming mirrors is prominently quoted! Wow!

siberian
Old 05-16-2021, 08:42 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Have roughly 1000 miles. Mostly enjoying it although agree with many of the comments in this thread (especially cheap plasticky-looking interior trim).
Biggest issues:

- two completely false collision warnings. In one case the car jolted the brakes on. There were absolutely ZERO cars around me. I was in a residential area just leaving a stop sign and heading toward another, entering a sweeping left turn. A woman was on the sidewalk at least 6 at lengths away and I believe the camera reacted to her. That was the ONLY thing I can think of. It was very startling to have the car “ding”, and see the warning on the dash, and have the brakes jolt me in my seat. The second time it was only the “ding” and warning on the dash (no brakes). I was in stop/go city traffic with cars all around. I drove in this traffic for 15 minutes but only once did it warn me even though the circumstances lasted for 15 minutes.

My computer completely froze. Started car as usual. After several moments went to disable stop/start (this is my usual pre-flight routine). The screen didn’t respond. Tried again. Nothing. Then thought I’d switch to a new screen (NAV) and then back - but the screen wouldn’t change, didn’t respond. Drove about 15 minutes. Parked. Turned off car completely (and removed key). Waited a couple minutes. Restarted. Screen still completely frozen.

Called my dealer and spoke to the “Porsche Tech Genius” who gave a couple possible reasons why it froze. He also walked me through a hard reboot if needed. I waited a couple hours and then restarted the car and it was fine (no need for hard reboot). Very annoying that the screen froze and hoping these things are flukes.

The dealer checked it for codes or updates and it needed nothing (showed no codes). We’ll see what happens. Otherwise it’s a nice car.
Can you share the hard reboot process of the pcm (perhaps in a separate thread) - I had to do that a few times in my 958 cayenne which cleared out some gremlins
Old 05-16-2021, 09:04 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chong0
Can you share the hard reboot process of the pcm (perhaps in a separate thread) - I had to do that a few times in my 958 cayenne which cleared out some gremlins
I did not do a hard reboot but the instructions were as follows:

- Simultaneously hold down the two “*****” on the console (volume and “seek” *****)
- It could take at least 30 seconds
- The PCM screen will go black
- Continue simultaneously pressing down both ***** until the word “PORSCHE” appears on the screen
- Release the ***** and allow the computer to complete the reboot.
- I was told taking this action would have no effect on saved driver preferences or settings.
chong0 (05-16-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 09:14 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Whenever anyone buys a new model car there are always plenty of things to complain about.
Not able to put power to the ground
Too much under steer
Too much over steer
Braking is weak not confident
Steering is not precise and no feel
Unable to drive on the track, handling at speed unstable
Car is not reliable
Suspension is a wreck, not confident cornering
Wish it had a cigarette lighter so I could singe the wild hairs in my mustache

I’m sure that a lot of the nit picky issues mentioned in this thread would be unimportant if the list above was correct. But I do understand some of the call out. But 911’s although bigger and heavier than early version are still supposed to be “Sports Cars” (you don’t get light weight glass options on a Caddy). More buttons, more sound deadening , just more stuff adds weight, and more to break and go wrong. They are already complicated.

I don’t own a 992 (will be looking at a 992 TTS at some point) but from the cars I’ve seen and the driving experiences I’ve read about it seems like quite a machine. And you can drive it every day if you choose. I drive mine daily and with my mods the car is a confidence inspiring “rocket ship” that I haven’t had one major repair on other than regular maintenance since I bought it. So in most years that’s the cost of an oil change to run it. And I do have a cigarette lighter to singe my wild mustache hairs. But I understand the griping.

Last edited by Penn4S; 05-16-2021 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:41 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

For the cost of these cars the technology should be better. Porsche simply isn’t great at technology compared to competition. Obviously they excel at the driving experience so one must accept the other shortcomings.

We had several Mercedes that were far superior in technology. The adaptive cruise and collision avoidance worked flawlessly and that was 10+ years ago. My C6 Z06 had HUD along with our former BMW 3 series wagons, all at a fraction of the price. It’s a bit frustrating to own a car of this category and have it fail at collision avoidance. I’ll probably disable it every time now that it’s given me two false events. But Porsche excels at other things and we choose Porsche for how they handle. We accept the rest. And if it becomes unacceptable we will “vote” by spending elsewhere.
German1967 (05-16-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 10:40 AM
German1967
Pro

Received 604 Likes on 270 Posts
Default PCM

It seems PCM is about 5 years behind what Mercedes and BMW offer. BMW’s iDrive 7 with corresponding assistance systems is excellent and offers regular OTA software updates. The UI still offers a **** and does not solely rely on touch input. The unit boots up super fast and the garage opener is where it belongs: integrated into the mirror.

I am driving right now a 2020 Z4 fully loaded for originally $70k. The C2S Cab I put together comes in at $150+.

Between the current environment - no cars - and Porsche needing a few years to get their electronics worked out I may hold off a few more years…
Old 02-23-2022, 09:23 AM
BenjaminElias
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LAMANC
Picked up my 992 last Friday and have been exploring it and a few things that seem like a miss or a bit odd and cheap...

1) Why put a phone shaped pad in the center console that is not a charge pad
2) Why are the electric folding mirrors not heated
3) Why is there not a button that moves ALL the windows up or down (my cab has for windows) - there is even a blank where it could go
4) Why have some of the metal from the hood exposed in front trunk where it could get dented from the inside - a bit of cladding would cost minimal $$
5) Why put piano black plastic in the most exposed and scratch prone area - and you can't even option in something else
6) Why not have both a skip track forward and skip track back button on the steering wheel

I am sure I will find others - but would be interested to hear other thoughts...
Just bringing this thread back from the dead to say you absolutely nailed every one of these. Why the hell does this car not have heated mirrors?
Old 02-23-2022, 09:33 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
No heated mirrors? That’s going to suck. Is that only with the folding mirrors?
I have never heard of heated folding mirrors.

I learn some thing new every day
Old 02-23-2022, 10:24 AM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 90 Posts

Last edited by Mb111; 02-23-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:50 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Gentian21
I wonder if any other automobile in the world can undergo this level of scrutiny and come out unscathed. Granted, the car isn't 100 percent flawless, but I think that this deep dive into every conceivable shortcoming, no matter how minor, impinges on one's ability to enjoy the car as much as it deserves to be. And yes, Porsche charges a lot for things that come standard on much cheaper cars, but it might make sense to think of the 911 as a $150,000 car that can be de-optioned to meet a constrained budget. In terms of quality and performance, the 911 is at least the equal of the Aston, the AMG and the Audi R8, and all of those cars are pricier. Perfection is a pretty tough standard to apply to any car.
Of all the cars I’ve owned over the years, I’ve found the 911 to have the most rattles of any car I’ve ever owned. If it weren’t for the engine noises (which I love) and a blaring stereo, the rattles would drive me insane, But, the 911 is also the most exciting car I have ever owned. So, maybe the two are mutually exclusive?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-23-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Tupper (02-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Things that seem like a miss!