Sponsored by:

The future of the 911

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 11:38 AM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
It's not Porsche doing this, its the western governments - elected by people to whom climate change is a religion now. That's where it has to be stopped. If it's not, then indeed its all over for cars like this. The pre-owned market for them will be strong forever.
My "religion" is staying alive and well and also leaving the planet no worse, and hopefully better than before for future generations. I also listen to scientists about technical issues such as global climate change more than talk show pundits and social media. The ICE has become a dead end and its total costs too high to sustain. I have confidence that Porsche will continue to build well engineered and capable cars to meet this challenge. I just do not want to have to take a bus so driving an EV "911" may be the best solution until fuel cells or another technology become better!
The following 5 users liked this post by Tedster:
DrewTJ50 (04-23-2021), marrast (04-23-2021), Noah Fect (04-23-2021), phaser (04-23-2021), Tupper (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 01:00 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

One of the reasons I got a 992 is while we know what the future will look like, we don’t know when. If you have one, rejoice, you’re locked in. How much better can they make it in its current quasi-traditional formulation? Enthusiasts have been freaking since before the conversion to water cooling. All of us driving a water cooled 911 missed that boat. Yet I went for the most exhilarating drive in my 992 this a.m., I savored every second. The world is changing faster than it ever has, I don’t need to point that out. Be nimble and adapt.

FWIW, I’m convinced we’ll approach the holy grail of 911–s in the future in hybrid form. I’ve been enjoying my E-Hybrid for months now. Nothing like getting pushed back in your seat when you breathe on the gas. Yet I get ICE sounds and function. Yes it’s heavier but there’s little if any handling penalty, it’s actually kind of amazing. As technology moves forward the weight issue will melt away, much like the penalty that once existed for having a rear engine. Evolving battery tech is prime time. But if that doesn’t happen, enjoy your 992 and keep it in good shape. It’s not a bad fallback.
The following 3 users liked this post by Russian Mafia:
AlexCeres (04-28-2021), gcurnew (04-23-2021), Ikiru (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 04:16 PM
r00t61
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
When I go to Cars and Coffee, I see so many young car photographers and enthusiasts that I think that the assertion “kids don’t care about cars anymore” isn’t reality. Add in the number of millennials that I see driving 996s and older BMWs, the future looks very bright.

There is no government take over of cars coming or mandate for autonomous vehicles. We may reach a point where autonomous vehicles are cheaper to insure, but drivers will not be disappearing in our lifetime. Tesla seems to be doing their best to make autonomous vehicles so highly scrutinized and regulated that Elon may have single handedly set things back a decade. So, I wouldn’t give this much worry.

As for the switch to EVs, it’s already happening. If more EVs on the road allow us to enjoy our ICE 911s, great. There is a lot of infrastructure to be addressed, but governments are putting the pressure and dollars in to make it all happen.

Gas stations aren’t closing anytime soon, but I won’t be surprised to be paying north of $10/gallon as demand drops and taxes increase. The increase in gas prices isn’t going affect 911 owners — would you stop driving your car paying $10/gallon? I suspect that most 911 owners will simply pay it. Of course, the increase in fuel cost will affect the poor and put ICE cars out of reach of many households, but it wouldn’t be the first thing priced out of the American experience.

Porsche is pushing eFuels, because the rising prices for gasoline will probably make synthetic fuels cost effective within the next 15-20 years. eFuels are all about allowing enthusiasts, to be clear affluent enthusiasts, to continue to enjoy their ICE cars. When Porsche branded eFuel lands at $100 for a 5 gallon can, remember this post back from 2021.
I'm sorry dude, but your post is so wrong and full of wishful thinking I could write a novel.

1. Thinking that the attitudes of Gen-Z can be ascertained by your experience at C&C and old E46 Beemers on the road is statistically irrelevant. If you want the data, go ask any driver's ed school what their 16-year old students think about driving. I'll give you this one bit of salient news - the majority of kids in driver's ed today are there because their parents made them go, not because they wanted to be there

2. The draft legislation to ban non-autonomous cars is already sitting on lobbyist desks. Look at how quickly the "ban all ICE sales after 2030" legislation is already gaining steam across the West. Banning the non-autonomous car outright will follow the same trajectory.

3. Thinking that your money will somehow insulate from annoyances like higher gas prices is unrealistic. The real hammer that government has here is registration fees. Suppose I told you that by year 202x, it will cost $1,000 to register your manned ICE car. Or $10,000. Or $50,000. They can make the number whatever they want, and sell it to the public as a "eat the rich supercar drivers that are killing the planet" initiative. What is your pain point for throwing in the towel and saying, "It just isn't worth it..."

4. eFuels, just lol. This technology is even further away than the oft-bandied, mythical "graphene battery" that every electric shill trots out to deflect criticism. Long before it's ready to come to market, the car will have become a third rail of politics, as divisive a topic as firearm ownership. They'll run stories every single night on the cable news networks about how some evil manned car driver killed somebody in yet another accident.

5. When we have to give up our ICE 911s in a government-mandated buyback scheme, remember this post from 2021.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:33 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,207 Likes on 728 Posts

^^^
The following 2 users liked this post by .2PDK:
macanspnw (04-23-2021), marrast (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 04:39 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 241 Likes on 147 Posts

The thing that bothers me the most about the move from ICE to “battery power” be that hybrid, super capacitor or full Duracell is the ethical impact.

ICE cars generally don’t require many rare materials, electric cars are full of them, light weight stuff and the power plant that gets its raw materials from dubious sources.

I’m generalising a bit, but I feel the fuel changes/advancements could be the way forward, plus it might start hurting that OPEC monopoly which isn’t a bad thing.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:56 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
When I go to Cars and Coffee, I see so many young car photographers and enthusiasts that I think that the assertion “kids don’t care about cars anymore” isn’t reality. Add in the number of millennials that I see driving 996s and older BMWs, the future looks very bright.

There is no government take over of cars coming or mandate for autonomous vehicles. We may reach a point where autonomous vehicles are cheaper to insure, but drivers will not be disappearing in our lifetime. Tesla seems to be doing their best to make autonomous vehicles so highly scrutinized and regulated that Elon may have single handedly set things back a decade. So, I wouldn’t give this much worry.

As for the switch to EVs, it’s already happening. If more EVs on the road allow us to enjoy our ICE 911s, great. There is a lot of infrastructure to be addressed, but governments are putting the pressure and dollars in to make it all happen.

Gas stations aren’t closing anytime soon, but I won’t be surprised to be paying north of $10/gallon as demand drops and taxes increase. The increase in gas prices isn’t going affect 911 owners — would you stop driving your car paying $10/gallon? I suspect that most 911 owners will simply pay it. Of course, the increase in fuel cost will affect the poor and put ICE cars out of reach of many households, but it wouldn’t be the first thing priced out of the American experience.

Porsche is pushing eFuels, because the rising prices for gasoline will probably make synthetic fuels cost effective within the next 15-20 years. eFuels are all about allowing enthusiasts, to be clear affluent enthusiasts, to continue to enjoy their ICE cars. When Porsche branded eFuel lands at $100 for a 5 gallon can, remember this post back from 2021.
Exactly, anybody who thinks Americans in their 20s and 30s aren't interested in cars needs to come out of their cave. This just not true. Sure, you can find thirty year olds who ride their bicycles to work and honestly believe they are saving the planet but this is a definite minority. Good looking vehicles are as popular as ever.
The following 4 users liked this post by phaser:
detansinn (04-23-2021), macanspnw (04-23-2021), Russian Mafia (04-23-2021), timjab (04-28-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 05:46 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by r00t61
I'm sorry dude, but your post is so wrong and full of wishful thinking I could write a novel.

1. Thinking that the attitudes of Gen-Z can be ascertained by your experience at C&C and old E46 Beemers on the road is statistically irrelevant. If you want the data, go ask any driver's ed school what their 16-year old students think about driving. I'll give you this one bit of salient news - the majority of kids in driver's ed today are there because their parents made them go, not because they wanted to be there
Huh? Feedback from a few drivers ed school is as anecdotal as C&C. Statiscally irrelevant and a fallacy. It's no different to people saying that Millennials are fine with paying rent downtown and not buying houses in the suburbs... and we are now in a housing boom fueled by them.

In much of the USA outside of metros, you can't have an independent life without a car. It will be no different for Gen-Z
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 05:57 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

Since coffee is verboten behind the Zion Curtain, it’s more like Cars and Soda here.

I promise you they’ll be running ICE cars in Utah long after we’re gone. We still have an abundance of homes heated with coal and wood. If I’m wrong, there are really nice places in Russia, plenty of room for tracks too. Find something else to worry about.
The following 2 users liked this post by Russian Mafia:
marrast (04-23-2021), oneof5 (04-24-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 07:37 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,550 Likes on 954 Posts

Even in California, we're not going to ban anything before 2035. And even then, there will still be a long tail of classic / used cars and restomods for years to come. It's going to be okay.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
detansinn (04-23-2021), Noah Fect (04-23-2021), oneof5 (04-24-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 10:33 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 772 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by r00t61

2. The draft legislation to ban non-autonomous cars is already sitting on lobbyist desks. Look at how quickly the "ban all ICE sales after 2030" legislation is already gaining steam across the West. Banning the non-autonomous car outright will follow the same trajectory.

3. Thinking that your money will somehow insulate from annoyances like higher gas prices is unrealistic. The real hammer that government has here is registration fees. Suppose I told you that by year 202x, it will cost $1,000 to register your manned ICE car. Or $10,000. Or $50,000. They can make the number whatever they want, and sell it to the public as a "eat the rich supercar drivers that are killing the planet" initiative. What is your pain point for throwing in the towel and saying, "It just isn't worth it..."

4. eFuels, just lol. This technology is even further away than the oft-bandied, mythical "graphene battery" that every electric shill trots out to deflect criticism. Long before it's ready to come to market, the car will have become a third rail of politics, as divisive a topic as firearm ownership. They'll run stories every single night on the cable news networks about how some evil manned car driver killed somebody in yet another accident.

5. When we have to give up our ICE 911s in a government-mandated buyback scheme, remember this post from 2021.
Indeed, this is all political. There is no science behind any of it. The electric grid is no where near capable of charging a mostly EV fleet by 2030, even Musk says that. And the same "green energy" people want natural gas and nuclear electric plants shutdown also, not just coal. A breaking point will come, and soon. Everyone who wants an EV, wants a Tesla for the most part. It's a cult, not a market for a car. Once these manufacturers bring their EVs to market, and see that they do not sell past the initial demand bubble in years 1 & 2, they will wake up fast or be out of business faster. Watch the VW EVs in the US market, tank in sales almost immediately. General Motors makes almost all of their profits off the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade line, the pickups, and the Corvette. This is the same company that is going "all EV" in 9 years - its a joke.
The following users liked this post:
Adr (04-28-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 07:10 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,770 Likes on 2,897 Posts

Donut did a nice eFuel rundown...

Old 04-27-2021, 09:02 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member