Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never dreamt of owning a Targa...until now (waiting)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 09:09 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Never dreamt of owning a Targa...until now (waiting)

Update: Decided to withdraw my Targa build and get on the waitlist for a GT4/Spyder.

What I journey I've had ordering my first Porsche...

It all started 2 years ago trying to find a 718 GT4 build, I was on waitlist after waitlist and essentially grew out of wanting a GT4 that badly (for now...). I almost pulled the trigger on a Spyder, but my sensible side got the best of me. Finally decided to order a C2S for Summer 2021 build. Then, for some reason I decided I wanted to get a Cabriolet. And I'm sure everyone knows it is not that easy to just "get" a cabriolet. If you thought getting a C2S allocation was hard, a Cab allocation was next to impossible. However, my dealer off-hand mentioned an available Targa 4S build.

Now we obviously know the historical significance of the Targa, but it is one of those models I never even dreamt of owning. I mean, owning a C2S was already pretty out of this world. But the combination of unique styling, rarity, and fun factor got the better of me. My dealer was happy to swap my C2S order to a Targa 4S. My build below. I am still in shock I am going to be a proud owner of a Targa, which again was not my original intention whatsoever. Sure, it is not as "dynamic" as the C2S and not the pure 2WD layout. But you know what, sometimes you just want to own something quirky and a little out in left field.

This is my build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNT75XP1

Biggest first world problem I have is whether to reallocate the SD side skirts to the RS Spyder wheels. No doubt, the vast majority of Rennlisters love the RS wheels. But how would it look on a CWM Targa? Especially with silver accents. In some ways, the Carrera Classic wheels also look amazing...As much as I want to add additional items, this is going to be a pretty "basic" build (eg. no fancy exclusive manufacture touches, deviated stitching, etc). Fingers crossed I made the right choice and the Targa does not disappoint!

Here is my option of removing the side skirts and putting the funds to the RS Spyder wheels

Last edited by JCZ5; 04-21-2021 at 08:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCZ5:
Chris murphy (04-08-2021), oneof5 (04-20-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 09:44 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Beautiful. KEEP the side skirts they balance the car.

For a "minimalist" approach, DON'T TOUCH A THING (well maybe depending on age/physical condition etc.) perhaps swap the PDK for a manual. Other than that, sit back and join the waiting room! It's the only place that gets worse as the time to delivery gets nearer

siberian
Old 04-08-2021, 09:54 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Originally Posted by siberian
Beautiful. KEEP the side skirts they balance the car.

For a "minimalist" approach, DON'T TOUCH A THING (well maybe depending on age/physical condition etc.) perhaps swap the PDK for a manual. Other than that, sit back and join the waiting room! It's the only place that gets worse as the time to delivery gets nearer

siberian
I would totally go with the manual if it was just for me. But this car needs to be able to be driven by the family, and sadly, not everyone is as much of a 7-speed enthusiast as us...
Old 04-08-2021, 09:57 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The WHOLE family???????????? Nah, get the manual and one with a PDK for the family

siberian
Old 04-08-2021, 09:58 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 160 Posts

Buy a cheap NA Miata so they can learn to drive and MT and sell it after a few months. Don’t settle. You’re getting your dream car.
The following 3 users liked this post by wintershade:
RayC168 (04-08-2021), siberian (04-08-2021), txpackers (04-09-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:02 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

x2

As the saying goes, if life isn't giving you enough worries, you can always count on your family

siberian
Old 04-08-2021, 10:09 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Haha so not to bring a sappy story into the mix, but honestly this would be something my parents can also drive and share in the enjoyment. I travel often and if I can expand the use and share the pleasure, that's not necessary a bad thing. And don't get me wrong, I still will enjoy the PDK.
The following users liked this post:
Boulder Mike (04-19-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:37 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Someone was raised right... kudos

siberian
JCZ5 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 07:03 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by JCZ5
I would totally go with the manual if it was just for me. But this car needs to be able to be driven by the family, and sadly, not everyone is as much of a 7-speed enthusiast as us...
I've seen this soo many times before on the RL. Folks buy the cars and defer their preference for manuals so that can someone else can be able to drive the car. Nice touch but really if you look at how much that person will drive the car or currently has an intent to do so...then they come back with diminished results. Rule #1 on this type of purchase IMHO is never buy the car with hopes that someone may want/be able to drive it. If they don't now they likely won't in the future. I translate this into the fact that my wife knows how to drive a manual so could drive my car all day...but I know 99.9% of the time she doesn't touch it...despite the fact we all hang our keys on the same key rack..side by side. She just doesn't have the latitude to do so. Thus I buy the car for me the primary driver NOT for an imagined or proposed situation. Get the manual IF that is what you'd really prefer would be my recommendation!
Haha so not to bring a sappy story into the mix, but honestly this would be something my parents can also drive and share in the enjoyment. I travel often and if I can expand the use and share the pleasure, that's not necessary a bad thing. And don't get me wrong, I still will enjoy the PDK.
Will they drive it regularly while you are gone/traveling? Or just take it around the block and start it? Most of us don't buy these cars as a shared vehicle like some sort of Silver Car by Audi for example. I'd be very leary of buying a car in hopes that my parents or anyone in the family would want to share the experience and thus outfit it for them too in a custom build such as this at this cost unless this was something we specifically discussed in detail and even then I'd still be leary! Got the intent and great to want to share the fun but that can also be had with frequent trips and also honestly knowing you got the car you want and are happy. Just saying...especially at that price point for a Targa C4S!!
Old 04-19-2021, 08:34 AM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 304 Posts

Quite a story that led you to a Targa. You won't be disappointed. Regarding the manual vs PDK, get what you really want. You can't go wrong with either but the "buyer's remorse" if you compromise there would be significant. And I agree with keeping the side skirts and the Carrera Classics.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:17 AM
JCZ5
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
I've seen this soo many times before on the RL. Folks buy the cars and defer their preference for manuals so that can someone else can be able to drive the car. Nice touch but really if you look at how much that person will drive the car or currently has an intent to do so...then they come back with diminished results. Rule #1 on this type of purchase IMHO is never buy the car with hopes that someone may want/be able to drive it. If they don't now they likely won't in the future. I translate this into the fact that my wife knows how to drive a manual so could drive my car all day...but I know 99.9% of the time she doesn't touch it...despite the fact we all hang our keys on the same key rack..side by side. She just doesn't have the latitude to do so. Thus I buy the car for me the primary driver NOT for an imagined or proposed situation. Get the manual IF that is what you'd really prefer would be my recommendation!

Will they drive it regularly while you are gone/traveling? Or just take it around the block and start it? Most of us don't buy these cars as a shared vehicle like some sort of Silver Car by Audi for example. I'd be very leary of buying a car in hopes that my parents or anyone in the family would want to share the experience and thus outfit it for them too in a custom build such as this at this cost unless this was something we specifically discussed in detail and even then I'd still be leary! Got the intent and great to want to share the fun but that can also be had with frequent trips and also honestly knowing you got the car you want and are happy. Just saying...especially at that price point for a Targa C4S!!
Very good points and actually I was thinking of about it this past weekend. You're absolutely right, I will be switching it to a manual. But even more of an update, I actually originally wanted a GT4/Spyder, but again, thought it made more sense of getting a Targa for greater usability. I will now be reconsidering and asking my dealer to see if I can get on that endless waitlist.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:43 AM
VT Skier
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

Out of curiosity (and ignorance), why are allocations for a cabriolet or a targa so hard to find? Don't the vast majority of buyers prefer hard tops?
Old 04-19-2021, 10:47 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by VT Skier
Out of curiosity (and ignorance), why are allocations for a cabriolet or a targa so hard to find? Don't the vast majority of buyers prefer hard tops?
I have no idea, but I've been looking for a Targa allocation and have called many dealers. No luck at all.

Last edited by Dr. G; 04-19-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:52 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

What I journey I've had ordering my first Porsche...

It all started 2 years ago trying to find a 718 GT4 build, I was on waitlist after waitlist and essentially grew out of wanting a GT4 that badly (for now...). I almost pulled the trigger on a Spyder, but my sensible side got the best of me. Finally decided to order a C2S for Summer 2021 build. Then, for some reason I decided I wanted to get a Cabriolet. And I'm sure everyone knows it is not that easy to just "get" a cabriolet. If you thought getting a C2S allocation was hard, a Cab allocation was next to impossible. However, my dealer off-hand mentioned an available Targa 4S build.

Now we obviously know the historical significance of the Targa, but it is one of those models I never even dreamt of owning. I mean, owning a C2S was already pretty out of this world. But the combination of unique styling, rarity, and fun factor got the better of me. My dealer was happy to swap my C2S order to a Targa 4S. My build below. I am still in shock I am going to be a proud owner of a Targa, which again was not my original intention whatsoever. Sure, it is not as "dynamic" as the C2S and not the pure 2WD layout. But you know what, sometimes you just want to own something quirky and a little out in left field.

This is my build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNT75XP1

Biggest first world problem I have is whether to reallocate the SD side skirts to the RS Spyder wheels. No doubt, the vast majority of Rennlisters love the RS wheels. But how would it look on a CWM Targa? Especially with silver accents. In some ways, the Carrera Classic wheels also look amazing...As much as I want to add additional items, this is going to be a pretty "basic" build (eg. no fancy exclusive manufacture touches, deviated stitching, etc). Fingers crossed I made the right choice and the Targa does not disappoint!

Here is my option of removing the side skirts and putting the funds to the RS Spyder wheels
This just plain gorgeous. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 04-19-2021, 02:16 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,283 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I have no idea, but I've been looking for a Targa allocation and have called many dealers. No luck at all.
Production allegedly is held up because of chipsets or something that covid caused. In the LA area I've spoken to just about every dealer. Waited on a list for 4 months to finally get an allocation for $10k ADM... had a second offer me a current allocation for $15k adm. Insane for a Targa but Bev Hills moved 5 allocations with the adm in the last couple of weeks so apparently plenty of people willing to pay. I'll wait. Curious to see what the GTS brings anyways and doubtful I'll get an MSRP allocation before then so I'll just patiently wait...
Booth9999 (04-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Never dreamt of owning a Targa...until now (waiting)