Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never dreamt of owning a Targa...until now (waiting)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 02:24 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
Production allegedly is held up because of chipsets or something that covid caused. In the LA area I've spoken to just about every dealer. Waited on a list for 4 months to finally get an allocation for $10k ADM... had a second offer me a current allocation for $15k adm. Insane for a Targa but Bev Hills moved 5 allocations with the adm in the last couple of weeks so apparently plenty of people willing to pay. I'll wait. Curious to see what the GTS brings anyways and doubtful I'll get an MSRP allocation before then so I'll just patiently wait...
I’m first on my dealer’s list for the Targa GTS but, truth be told, I’m not sure if it makes sense over the Targa 4S for me. I don’t want the black targa bar, will spec 5 lug silver wheels and do a “regular’ leather interior. Yes, the car will have more power but by the time I make all the changes I’m not sure the GTS will be a good value over the 4S. I’m leasing it through my business and I think the GTS historically has a lower residual % than the 4S.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:38 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I’m first on my dealer’s list for the Targa GTS but, truth be told, I’m not sure if it makes sense over the Targa 4S for me. I don’t want the black targa bar, will spec 5 lug silver wheels and do a “regular’ leather interior. Yes, the car will have more power but by the time I make all the changes I’m not sure the GTS will be a good value over the 4S. I’m leasing it through my business and I think the GTS historically has a lower residual % than the 4S.
I get that sentiment. Blacked out targa band is not preferable and neither is the slightly lowered stance. Never cared for a lowered 911, looks like it has weak springs.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:55 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

This is OT but wouldn’t a Turbo S Targa be totally badass??
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
Boulder Mike (04-19-2021), Overdraft (04-20-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 03:29 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phaser
I get that sentiment. Blacked out targa band is not preferable and neither is the slightly lowered stance. Never cared for a lowered 911, looks like it has weak springs.
I don't think they lower the Targa GTS at all, just as they don't offer SPASM on the base or 4S Targa.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:45 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,830 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by JCZ5
What I journey I've had ordering my first Porsche...

It all started 2 years ago trying to find a 718 GT4 build, I was on waitlist after waitlist and essentially grew out of wanting a GT4 that badly (for now...). I almost pulled the trigger on a Spyder, but my sensible side got the best of me. Finally decided to order a C2S for Summer 2021 build. Then, for some reason I decided I wanted to get a Cabriolet. And I'm sure everyone knows it is not that easy to just "get" a cabriolet. If you thought getting a C2S allocation was hard, a Cab allocation was next to impossible. However, my dealer off-hand mentioned an available Targa 4S build.

Now we obviously know the historical significance of the Targa, but it is one of those models I never even dreamt of owning. I mean, owning a C2S was already pretty out of this world. But the combination of unique styling, rarity, and fun factor got the better of me. My dealer was happy to swap my C2S order to a Targa 4S. My build below. I am still in shock I am going to be a proud owner of a Targa, which again was not my original intention whatsoever. Sure, it is not as "dynamic" as the C2S and not the pure 2WD layout. But you know what, sometimes you just want to own something quirky and a little out in left field.

This is my build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNT75XP1

Biggest first world problem I have is whether to reallocate the SD side skirts to the RS Spyder wheels. No doubt, the vast majority of Rennlisters love the RS wheels. But how would it look on a CWM Targa? Especially with silver accents. In some ways, the Carrera Classic wheels also look amazing...As much as I want to add additional items, this is going to be a pretty "basic" build (eg. no fancy exclusive manufacture touches, deviated stitching, etc). Fingers crossed I made the right choice and the Targa does not disappoint!
My opinion. Great car. Leave the classics, or go with the Exclusives and have them painted in Satin Black (doesn't paint the face, just the center and inside, really makes it pop, and looks fantastic on white or chalk). Or stay with the classics. Lots and lots of folks get the Spyder wheels.
Of course get the manual. But stay with the 911. I wouldn't go for the GT4 over this car. Getting the manual saves you money on the Sport Chrono (for the Exclusive wheels if you want).
While I get that you are matching the roof to the interior, I say for a white car, get the black roof. The red roof makes the most sense on an Agate Grey.
I didn't spec side skirts but on a blue car, less of an issue, on the white, keep it.
Most people say the folding mirrors really aren't necessary. Two cents there.
PDLS+ doesn't change the lights, just gives you that cornering stuff. Again I left that off, a lot of folks do.
There is backup and sensors for warning. Do you need the surround view? Is this for the older folks not to hit stuff parking it? If so, your call.
LCA probably a good idea on a Targa.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN62RUR5

The following users liked this post:
Boulder Mike (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 06:36 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 256 Posts

Production allegedly is held up because of chipsets or something that covid caused. In the LA area I've spoken to just about every dealer. Waited on a list for 4 months to finally get an allocation for $10k ADM... had a second offer me a current allocation for $15k adm. Insane for a Targa but Bev Hills moved 5 allocations with the adm in the last couple of weeks so apparently plenty of people willing to pay. I'll wait. Curious to see what the GTS brings anyways and doubtful I'll get an MSRP allocation before then so I'll just patiently wait...
I'm in the same situation and dealership. I reached out to several L.A. dealers, and none have any allocation. However, a guy I was working with at Beverly Hills Porsche said he could find a Targa 4 or 4s, but it would be $15k ADM. He said that the dealer is actually reaching out to 2020 Targa buyers, offering to buy back their cars for what they paid, plus taxes and a little premium. That's saying something about the market. I told them I would wait until the 2022 allocations later this summer. If it is still a markup then, I'll switch to a 911 or 911s.

In that same conversation, he said they are getting $50k over sticker for the 911 GTS, and even over MSRP for the base 911.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:52 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
I'm in the same situation and dealership. I reached out to several L.A. dealers, and none have any allocation. However, a guy I was working with at Beverly Hills Porsche said he could find a Targa 4 or 4s, but it would be $15k ADM. He said that the dealer is actually reaching out to 2020 Targa buyers, offering to buy back their cars for what they paid, plus taxes and a little premium. That's saying something about the market. I told them I would wait until the 2022 allocations later this summer. If it is still a markup then, I'll switch to a 911 or 911s.

In that same conversation, he said they are getting $50k over sticker for the 911 GTS, and even over MSRP for the base 911.
I still feel like an idiot. I had the opportunity to grab an allocation for a Targa 4S a few weeks ago and my business partner was giving me hard time about the lease. I told my dealer I wasn't going to take it and then decided about an hour later to just do it because it was the car I really wanted and I would figure out a way to work it out within the business. Of course it was gone by the time I called him back.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:13 PM
MustangTornado
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
depends on the color. chalk for example looks terrible with the standard targa bar. gotta factor in both car color and rim color when deciding on the targa bar.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:28 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MustangTornado
depends on the color. chalk for example looks terrible with the standard targa bar. gotta factor in both car color and rim color when deciding on the targa bar.
I definitely agree with that, but right now I'm thinking either Aventurine Green or Shark Blue (yes, two very different colors). Black bar and wheels would work with Shark Blue but I just prefer the look of the blue/silver combination.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:33 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 858 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by JCZ5
First off, you are incredibly lucky - finding an allocation on one of these is next to impossible. While I personally didn't want a Targa, I think if my dealer said "i have an allocation, I might have just gone with it!"

Second off, have you thought of adding the premium package? For an additional $1,200 you get Ambient lighting, ventilated seats, and Bose...

Old 04-19-2021, 11:42 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,283 Likes on 649 Posts

Generally I agree that the silver targa bar is better and that’s what I’ll order... but this pic came very close to changing my mind:

Gables (04-20-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 11:45 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Another great black bar spec
The following 2 users liked this post by slc4s:
Gables (04-20-2021), Tupper (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 12:47 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,830 Likes on 954 Posts

Not a targa fan but that does look good. Especially those wheels. Not a fan of the black stone guards. What color is that, chalk? The black targa bar does look better but probably also only works with the right color combos.
Tupper (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 02:24 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

This car is PTS China Grey.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:00 PM
Gables
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Do you know if the rims are painted satin black or high gloss black?

Quick Reply: Never dreamt of owning a Targa...until now (waiting)