Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS to 992

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 06:08 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts
Default 991.2 GTS to 992

I currently have two 911's . One a garage queen modded 997 Turbo (manual) and the other is my daily 991.2 GTS (PDK) . Currently 992 production is very dry . The rumor on the internet was the "chip shortage" . I am hearing otherwise . Germany as most know is ahead of the US in Covid variants and a bit behind in vaccine rollout . I was told it's a factory level Covid issue. All this is informal discussion nonetheless the cars are not available I had been hoping by now a GTS might surface .

I have gone though a lot of ambivalence with the 992 . I am older and am not much of a technology guy . This would be my 17th Porsche and I loved and often miss the simplicity of the earlier cars . Plus the 991 was a huge departure from the smaller platform but over time I did adapt to it and love my GTS.

I am curious to hear views from those who made the jump . If anyone has even transitioned through generations of the 911 that's even better but my immediate swap would be 991.2 to 992.
I am about to go off warranty so I will be holding two out of warranty 911's at that point .

I have never driven the new car . Now that I am vaccinated I plan to do so soon . I just know that I will want a GTS or even dare I say a GT3 Touring . I know the Gt3 will be swarmed with "gottahaveit pay over MSRP buyers " but I am getting old and at 63 I question. if I miss it now would I be able at 70 or older to do it . The clock is ticking .

I already take it as a given that most who own the car love how it drives . What I dont see a lot of is discussion on the transition from the simple cars of the past into touch screen that beep when a leaf blows past it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-04-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:29 PM
kimbersm
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I am older than you, currently on my 4th Porsche and for me 992 C2 is the most engaging, fun car for daily driving.Driving in South Florida is limited between lights , police and speed limits and the traffic congestion on I-95 .So the GTS , Turbo or GT cars can be a lot of fun on the track but not on public roads .The touch screen is easy to learn and after the initial set up there is not much do or change ,it just repetitive actions like a smart phone.
The following 2 users liked this post by kimbersm:
detansinn (04-04-2021), G650 (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 07:19 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 304 Posts

OP- I made the switch from a 991.2 (C4S then TTS) to the 992 Targa 4S. Also have the "new" PCM in my Panamera and Macan. I'd say if you managed the transition from a flip phone to a smart phone, you can handle the change from the 991 to 992 PCM. Takes a little time to set up all your various options, home screen, and widget screen, but once you've done that you know the system well enough to operate it. And I've got you by a few years, too.
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 07:20 PM
tcbrown
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also older than you and currently own both a 992 C2s and a 911 50. I do find the tech on the 992 a bit of overkill at times, but also feel that you get comfortable once you get it set up. I use the 992 as a daily driver and in that regard find that all the widgets help make it great for daily driving and trips. The 992 is also much quicker than the 991 given the additional torque and 8 speed box. Handling is also superior with PDCC and RAS. Net net the positives greatly outweigh any frustrations with learning how to use the tech. Having said all that the 911 50 is still a keeper.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:50 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 716 Likes on 498 Posts

I'm 63 and had a 2017 991.2 purchased new in 2017. I found the car had a bit too much exhaust and road noise. I've driven a 992 and find it a bit better although with the 20/21" wheels teh ride is a bit firmer than the 991.2 I had. My biggest complaint with the 911 as I age is is road wise. With each generation, the cars seem to be moving more towards a GT from pure sports car. As we age, perhaps that is a good thing?
Old 04-04-2021, 07:53 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

I’m another 60 yr old and don’t have much “older” 911 experience as my first owned P-car was a 981B. That said, I just traded my 2018 GTS Cab for a 992 C2S. Decided that I’d take advantage of the crazy used car values while I can and was fortunate to get an allocation (car due early to mid June). The PDK GTS cab was an amazing car and certainly was better in most respects to the other 991.2 cars I had (PDK C2S highly optioned coupe and a Manual Targa 4). Having test driven the 992 C2S, there’s no doubt I will be happy with my incoming manual car. I’m not overly fussed about the PCM technology and expect to settle in to the changes over time. Speaking of the GT3T, I suspect that’s next in line for me assuming an allocation is made available.

Last edited by Stevelev; 04-04-2021 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:08 PM
jdanza22
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kimbersm
I am older than you, currently on my 4th Porsche and for me 992 C2 is the most engaging, fun car for daily driving.Driving in South Florida is limited between lights , police and speed limits and the traffic congestion on I-95 .So the GTS , Turbo or GT cars can be a lot of fun on the track but not on public roads .The touch screen is easy to learn and after the initial set up there is not much do or change ,it just repetitive actions like a smart phone.
where in south Florida do you live ?
I'm in Boca
Old 04-04-2021, 08:11 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Thanks folks.. I'll have to test drive this car . This BTW is the longest I have ever gone without driving the 'new" 911.

A few points --

1) Yes I did transition from flip phone to iPhone but I dont enjoy the phone . Some people are glued to them . Im am not . So in essence there isn't much on the new phone that I didn't use on the old one.

2) I know that RAS and PDCC are great performance nannies and deliver better numbers but PASM and sport chrono is my choice . If the car were NA and 6 speed I'd want a manual . The 7 in the turbo non turbo models is a disappointment . I test drove one . Although I do have a manual in my 997.1tt its only because I knew even then that tiptronic archaic and soon to vanish. Even though my GTS is more practical and sophisticated I must admit I am very emotionally attached to my 997 . It's the car I held onto the longest ever in my life . Technologically dated in every way I still love that car ,

3) I do look forward to the 8 speed PDK

Conclusion -- I will try to be open minded with the new car . I will be stopping by the dealership this week . I wonder if they even have a car . Inventory is that flat .

Thanks again .
Stevelev (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 08:14 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdanza22
where in south Florida do you live ?
I'm in Boca
Miami . I used to go to Delray Beach a lot . It's a nice Sunday drive (no traffic)and quite a nice place to relax . I haven't gone since this Covid thing though . Soon !!
Old 04-04-2021, 08:27 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stevelev
Speaking of the GT3T, I suspect that’s next in line for me assuming an allocation is made available.
I do know someone who has a slot (not in Miami and over MSRP) . I inquired for him (at MSRP) and they told me no car woud be sold over MSRP but every slot is going to someone who bought a lot of cars there . I do qualify but someone I refer does not. Porsche treats this car like its a magic cream puff . I used to think like that too. Now after decades of watching this patience can go a long way.

I am hoping the factory and overall health obstacles they have faced take a turn for the better . The cars will come at that time.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-04-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Stevelev (04-04-2021)

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS to 992