Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car got a chip in the screen on its visit to the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2021 | 02:54 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Default Car got a chip in the screen on its visit to the dealer

Annoyed, these things happen, but the dealer took it away yesterday, brought it back today.

Got in to put it in the garage, small chip right in front of the driver.... grrrrrrr!

Have emailed the dealer to let them know, but with the potential lack of lightweight glass I’m pretty sure I’ll have to live with it for now.
Old 04-01-2021 | 03:51 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This is why I keep windshield repair kits on hand. You can fix it before it becomes a thing.
Old 04-01-2021 | 11:38 PM
py0413
Racer

Bought and used the $10 amazon windshield repair kit.

Got one last month on a Saturday morning cruise on hwy.

After the quick repair.

Had to fix a chip on my 991.2 before and a few others in the past. I always bought and kept an extra kit in the garage. They come handy quite often in the area where I live.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (04-01-2021)
Old 04-02-2021 | 01:44 AM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Originally Posted by py0413

Bought and used the $10 amazon windshield repair kit.

Got one last month on a Saturday morning cruise on hwy.

After the quick repair.

Had to fix a chip on my 991.2 before and a few others in the past. I always bought and kept an extra kit in the garage. They come handy quite often in the area where I live.

I’ve never seen the “home brew” repair kits before.... pretty impressive results!

My beef with this is the dealer takes the car away, it comes back with three little chips in the screen, two right in front of the driver.

I will get them to acknowledge it was them, nothing else to do at the moment. Plus they washed the car with a bucket of slurry by the look of it. Specifically asked them not to wash the car.

edit - NOT wash the car... fat fingered fool

Last edited by mrmichaelsankey; 04-02-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2021 | 01:25 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrmichaelsankey
I’ve never seen the “home brew” repair kits before.... pretty impressive results!

My beef with this is the dealer takes the car away, it comes back with three little chips in the screen, two right in front of the driver.

I will get them to acknowledge it was them, nothing else to do at the moment. Plus they washed the car with a bucket of slurry by the look of it. Specifically asked them to to wash the car.
The home kits are super easy and the results are equal to or better than the results of some so-called professionals.
I never let a dealer wash my car -- no good comes from it.

Very annoying to have your car returned to you with chips. If you asked them not to wash it and they washed it anyway, that's also a flag.
Old 04-02-2021 | 01:32 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
The home kits are super easy and the results are equal to or better than the results of some so-called professionals.
I never let a dealer wash my car -- no good comes from it.

Very annoying to have your car returned to you with chips. If you asked them not to wash it and they washed it anyway, that's also a flag.
I don’t often go to the dealer - but when I do. I prefer Dos Equis.

Seriously though - I make sure to place a hang tag on the rear view mirror + add service notes to make sure the dealer does NOT wash my car.

Luckily - I do most of my own maintenance. So dealership visits will be few & far between - if I don’t go indy...
detansinn (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021 | 04:22 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrmichaelsankey
Annoyed, these things happen, but the dealer took it away yesterday, brought it back today.

Got in to put it in the garage, small chip right in front of the driver.... grrrrrrr!

Have emailed the dealer to let them know, but with the potential lack of lightweight glass I’m pretty sure I’ll have to live with it for now.

Going forward, may want to look into windshield protection film:

Last edited by colnagoG60; 04-02-2021 at 04:25 PM.
WCGhost (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021 | 04:29 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm trying to understand how on earth the dealer managed to chip your windshield?

I mean, I know that they washed your car when you asked them not to, but I have a hard time believing that that is what caused the chip, unless throwing rocks very hard is a part of the washing process
Old 04-02-2021 | 04:33 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Going forward, may want to look into windshield protection film:

https://youtu.be/gJQ_nvWLbYY

https://youtu.be/5YdtvntPgTI
Hard pass on windshield protection film if you use the wipers on your car.
It's much cheaper to keep a few chip repair kits on hand.
Old 04-02-2021 | 04:37 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper
I'm trying to understand how on earth the dealer managed to chip your windshield?

I mean, I know that they washed your car when you asked them not to, but I have a hard time believing that that is what caused the chip, unless throwing rocks very hard is a part of the washing process
I suspect that someone took the OP's 911 for a ride, got it dirty, and then washed the car to cover up the joyride under the presumption that an accidental wash would be treated like less of a big deal that the car being suspiciously dirty. Unfortunately, in their haste, they failed to notice that they also chipped the windshield.
That would be my theory.
Old 04-02-2021 | 04:57 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

I suspect that someone took the OP's 911 for a ride, got it dirty, and then washed the car to cover up the joyride under the presumption that an accidental wash would be treated like less of a big deal that the car being suspiciously dirty. Unfortunately, in their haste, they failed to notice that they also chipped the windshield.
That would be my theory.

So, they sent a chap to pick it up......

had the car overnight, in pieces apparently......

Called to say it’s “done and been washed”. “But I told you not to wash it, it was spotless when you took it!”

Car turns up, guy leaves, I move it to garage and notice straight away the windscreen chips.

Pictures were taken before the car was taken away and can prove after returning I didn’t take the car out until the next morning post chip pictures, cctv on the drive and garage the whole time.

dealership just mess to take some ownership, “we had a stone run across the screen when brining it back”.
Old 04-02-2021 | 05:16 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Hard pass on windshield protection film if you use the wipers on your car.
It's much cheaper to keep a few chip repair kits on hand.
Fair enough, but wipers can be used without damage...not just on this brand/type, but others. Repair kits won't do anything for pitting that occurs over time.
WCGhost (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021 | 05:35 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Windshield chips/pits are an annoying and frustrating fact of life.

Some time ago, the windshield of my Merc SUV took a hit while on the interstate. A cold front came through and the chip turned into crack. Long story short, replaced (no cost) via insurance with factory glass. The glass repair was done with no ill after effects.

There several small nicks on the 911 windshield, annoying as shi*t, but what can you do, not drive?

Where I live we have dump trucks hauling rock materials constantly on the main roads and interstate and stuff flies off them all the time. If it doesn't hit you then, it gets picked up by traffic and thrown up by the tires.

I'm resigned to replacing the glass later on if it gets really bad.

As to protective glass film, it may help with small stuff, but a sharp hit will go through the film, same as the paint film has shown to me.

Last edited by BSO; 04-02-2021 at 05:38 PM.
detansinn (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021 | 05:36 PM
WCGhost
Instructor

Depending on the impact, the repair kits may be able to only seal the windshield from further damage/cracking, cosmetically it may not resolve the issue, it seems like it is luck when it comes to the formation of the impact and whether it can be both structurally and cosmetically fixed with a repair kit.
Old 04-02-2021 | 06:46 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

I'm curious to know if replacement lightweight noise insulated glass is more challenging to obtain.
Because windshield damage is a fact of life.
Here's what I wound up dealing with on one of my previous 911s - it clearly required a full OEM replacement (and I can recommend Euroglass if you're in the Seattle area).

chip happens

Quick Reply: Car got a chip in the screen on its visit to the dealer