Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not finding the 992s exciting. Am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 02:47 AM
La Carrera
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Scott, we live in strange times. I looked back at the photos of your car when you first got it. (https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1234...er-w-tint.html) That car is sick; It is BLEEPING amazing. Yes, you could sell it in a heartbeat. But if I were you, I wouldn't give up on it yet. I say give it a couple months. The stifling melancholy of the last year is getting ready to lift, and I find myself strangely unexcited by a lot of things just from the inability to travel freely and the mind numbing repetition of daily living that none of us have ever experienced before. I think it is all part of the equation. I suspect you'll feel better about things in time.

Last edited by La Carrera; 03-30-2021 at 03:11 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by La Carrera:
Flashart (04-24-2021), FlyJacket (04-11-2021), foodbiker (04-18-2021), Noah Fect (03-30-2021), Russian Mafia (05-05-2021), Scott Mayers (03-30-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-30-2021, 04:16 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,019 Posts

I’m not sure what job the OP needed a tool for. Sounds like he selected the wrong tool. But also not convinced OP knows what job he needs solved either …
Old 03-30-2021, 04:55 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts

Funny thread.
A European point of view and question:
Why is the Lancia Delta Integrale 215 HP ("Deltone") never mentioned a a "fun car to drive"?
I had three of them (185HP, 200HP an 215HP).
With Pirelli P Zeros I could stay ahead of the Porsche 911 Carreras on the windy roads of the Madrid Sierra mountain passes!
The cockpit felt like you were driving a "professional" sports car.
And the size was so compact that you thought you were driving a Kart!
..... Well, that was in the nineties, of course .....

Last edited by Joan Alcover; 03-30-2021 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Flashart (04-24-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 05:33 AM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 674 Likes on 366 Posts

I find it ABSOLUTELY CRAZY everyone apparently is so self absorbed here on Porsches, not one person mentioned the F80 M3...I LOVE my F82 M4, it is such a hooligan car that can drift on demand and the turbo spool is so much fun with all the nannies turned off. The 50-50 weight distro makes it just a blast, I feel like I am tanner foust in that thing. It is an absolutely AMAZING sports car and DD.

I actually had been DD my 991.2 GT3RS from delivery Jan 2019 to about 2 months ago as now I am DD my almost 7 year old M4 (with maybe 40 track days) and cant figure out for the life of me how I DD'd the RS for 2 full years. The M4 Is better in 98% of scenarios, it's just the can do everything but also comfy and flies under the radar machine. (also I have an e46 comp...about to sell its meh, and all 6 times I drove the e92....TRASH, heavy, numb turn in, sloppy on center, trash brakes....just a trash sports car with a good engine, F80/F82 tho AMAZING I'll run mine into the ground)

That being said, the 992 C2S is an amazing everyday sports car. It isn't supposed to be a racecar but that what makes it so good! My Gt3RS is kind of a joke at this point for driving around in 99% of situations, it will most definitely feel like the car is going to kill you tho, it is so fast traction control isn't remotely saving you, so you will definitely get that feeling back.

I actually felt the way you are talking about the 992 C2s with the 997.1 gt3 (kind of similarish on power to 992 c2s so I bring it up). it is just not that fast even back 13 years ago and it's handling was pretty bad, and it smelled terrible after every hard drive like burning metal lol. It was faster in a straight line than it could handle cornering which was annoying, like how I would imagine an old viper. Maybe it is the fact you couldn't slide the back around when you feel like it (without going off the road) and have more sloppy immature fun like you can in an F80....and for me I never want to grow up and just have nice mustang like fun Even my scuderia I can drift around town fairly easily which is a lot of fun. Porsches just aren't really like that.

I would suggest an 2021 M2 comp or M2 CS manual my friend and I think you will love it more than anything. I am torn between one of those and new 992 gt3/C2S schtick.....The less seriousness and attention really has me wanting the M2.

Last edited by welikethetrack; 03-30-2021 at 05:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by welikethetrack:
AlterZgo (03-30-2021), SeanWRT (04-11-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:43 AM
Bparrott
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Outside the Box Option

Just bought an Audi RS6 Avant. It’s phenomenal. Not as raw as an M2/M3 or M4 but stupid fast. It is a bit of an occasion everywhere I go. Draws a crowd.
The following 8 users liked this post by Bparrott:
3uros (04-04-2021), AlterZgo (03-30-2021), Dan Nagy (03-30-2021), La Carrera (03-30-2021), msmacan (03-31-2021), Newusername (08-05-2021), Scott Mayers (03-30-2021), westcoastj (04-25-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:57 AM
Scott Mayers
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks all for the feedback - I can see where both sides of the coin come from.

There were a couple of questions raised - I wanted to answer. This is my DD. I live in central FL - so definitely very few "drivers" roads. Now my commute - that's part of the problem. I don't have one any more, having gone to 100 percent work from home even before COVID hit. I do use the car every single week day to drive my 8 year old to school (and during those drives we always try to get a 1-2 shift between 6-7k). But other than that, I just don't drive much any more. I had my F80 ZCP for 27 months and only had 14k miles on it and that wasn't because I was trying to save it, we just don't drive that much (pre COVID the car spent most of the time in the garage while I was on a plane elsewhere). I've done a few Sunday drives - and this is where the meh comes from. Knowing what is on tap in the car and only experiencing it in 3-4 second bursts doesn't do it for me. We've done the cars and coffee thing for years, and please don't take this the wrong way, but there are a hell of a lot of Porsche owners at C&C who are only there to say look at me, I drive a Porsche. Probably the best aspect of the car is the kids - I get so many young kids that give it the thumbs up waiting in car line and to be able to share that with the future generation is great (my own kid included).

I definitely don't have the 911 pedigree that many do here - but I certainly appreciate the racing heritage, lineage of the product, etc. I've owned plenty of fun cars (3 bmws, 2 porsches, 2 corvettes, etc). Sometimes I think maybe a better choice would be a totally mundane commuter car and then a purpose built obnoxious track toy.

I'm going to take the advice here and move on - I've already reached out to a couple of people who helped me source and secure this car. If anyone is interested in mine, please feel free to PM me here or at smayers70@gmail.com.
The following 5 users liked this post by Scott Mayers:
AlterZgo (03-30-2021), Boulder Mike (03-30-2021), detansinn (03-30-2021), gohawks23 (03-30-2021), oneof5 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:59 AM
Scott Mayers
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
I find it ABSOLUTELY CRAZY everyone apparently is so self absorbed here on Porsches, not one person mentioned the F80 M3...I LOVE my F82 M4, it is such a hooligan car that can drift on demand and the turbo spool is so much fun with all the nannies turned off. The 50-50 weight distro makes it just a blast, I feel like I am tanner foust in that thing. It is an absolutely AMAZING sports car and DD.

I actually had been DD my 991.2 GT3RS from delivery Jan 2019 to about 2 months ago as now I am DD my almost 7 year old M4 (with maybe 40 track days) and cant figure out for the life of me how I DD'd the RS for 2 full years. The M4 Is better in 98% of scenarios, it's just the can do everything but also comfy and flies under the radar machine. (also I have an e46 comp...about to sell its meh, and all 6 times I drove the e92....TRASH, heavy, numb turn in, sloppy on center, trash brakes....just a trash sports car with a good engine, F80/F82 tho AMAZING I'll run mine into the ground)

That being said, the 992 C2S is an amazing everyday sports car. It isn't supposed to be a racecar but that what makes it so good! My Gt3RS is kind of a joke at this point for driving around in 99% of situations, it will most definitely feel like the car is going to kill you tho, it is so fast traction control isn't remotely saving you, so you will definitely get that feeling back.

I actually felt the way you are talking about the 992 C2s with the 997.1 gt3 (kind of similarish on power to 992 c2s so I bring it up). it is just not that fast even back 13 years ago and it's handling was pretty bad, and it smelled terrible after every hard drive like burning metal lol. It was faster in a straight line than it could handle cornering which was annoying, like how I would imagine an old viper. Maybe it is the fact you couldn't slide the back around when you feel like it (without going off the road) and have more sloppy immature fun like you can in an F80....and for me I never want to grow up and just have nice mustang like fun Even my scuderia I can drift around town fairly easily which is a lot of fun. Porsches just aren't really like that.

I would suggest an 2021 M2 comp or M2 CS manual my friend and I think you will love it more than anything. I am torn between one of those and new 992 gt3/C2S schtick.....The less seriousness and attention really has me wanting the M2.
I notice you stayed away from recommending the G80.
What about the F90 Comp? (I know, luxo barge)
Old 03-30-2021, 09:01 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

If you're not feeling your 992, you couldn't find a more perfect time to unload it -- demand is through the roof and dealers have no cars to sell. You'll be able to transact quickly and get a great price for it. Don't wait. Do it now.

How you feel or get excited about a car is really a very personal thing. For me, I am a "driving" enthusiast. My weekend mornings are all about spirited exploration of back roads and mountain roads. I've already driven my 992 C4S 16k miles and it's been through 15 states. The adventures that I have had in this car are what defines it for me -- all of those memorable moments are just fantastic. If it just sat in the car undriven, I would feel miserable about it. Yes, people buy these cars for many reasons, but I bought mine to drive it.

The following 9 users liked this post by detansinn:
cherudim9 (06-18-2021), Frank Abe (04-15-2021), Glerald (04-15-2021), Hdizzle (05-31-2021), inastrangeland (04-13-2021), oneof5 (03-30-2021), PlatapusRex (03-30-2021), Tupper (03-30-2021), XLR82XS (03-31-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-30-2021, 09:29 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Mayers
Thanks all for the feedback - I can see where both sides of the coin come from.

There were a couple of questions raised - I wanted to answer. This is my DD. I live in central FL - so definitely very few "drivers" roads. Now my commute - that's part of the problem. I don't have one any more, having gone to 100 percent work from home even before COVID hit. I do use the car every single week day to drive my 8 year old to school (and during those drives we always try to get a 1-2 shift between 6-7k). But other than that, I just don't drive much any more. I had my F80 ZCP for 27 months and only had 14k miles on it and that wasn't because I was trying to save it, we just don't drive that much (pre COVID the car spent most of the time in the garage while I was on a plane elsewhere). I've done a few Sunday drives - and this is where the meh comes from. Knowing what is on tap in the car and only experiencing it in 3-4 second bursts doesn't do it for me. We've done the cars and coffee thing for years, and please don't take this the wrong way, but there are a hell of a lot of Porsche owners at C&C who are only there to say look at me, I drive a Porsche. Probably the best aspect of the car is the kids - I get so many young kids that give it the thumbs up waiting in car line and to be able to share that with the future generation is great (my own kid included).

I definitely don't have the 911 pedigree that many do here - but I certainly appreciate the racing heritage, lineage of the product, etc. I've owned plenty of fun cars (3 bmws, 2 porsches, 2 corvettes, etc). Sometimes I think maybe a better choice would be a totally mundane commuter car and then a purpose built obnoxious track toy.

I'm going to take the advice here and move on - I've already reached out to a couple of people who helped me source and secure this car. If anyone is interested in mine, please feel free to PM me here or at smayers70@gmail.com.
Email sent.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:18 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

I have the F90 non-comp. You'd be very surprised at the handling capability of the car. Definitely does not drive like a luxo barge. The Grand Tour sent it around their track and... well, it had the same lap time as one of our favorites: https://www.topgearbox.com/the-grand...ome-lap-times/
Old 03-30-2021, 10:27 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

Porsche makes each generation of 911 more refined and capable. Unfortunately for some the gap between refinement and performance also grows with each generation requiring the driver to push the envelope more in order to start feeling the car start to work. For some it’s what makes the current 911’s dual personality the best so far while for others who were expecting GT3 excitement are disappointed. It’s also what’s driving the early 911 market to stratospheric demand. The need for that raw 911 feeling.
I love the my current 992 but also have a 991 tts and recently sold my GT3. One 911 is never enough 😎
consider a GT3, might satisfy your personal needs.
The following 2 users liked this post by ohniner:
oneof5 (03-30-2021), Scott Mayers (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 10:41 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Hi Scott,

Unfortunately, Porsche and many others are stuck in a paradox. They are tasked with creating cars that are more and more capable on track, and need to impress the automotive magazines with ever better 0-60, 1/4, skidpad, 70-0, Nurburgring times, etc and as a result, sacrifice the experience off track quite a bit. These cars have become so capable, that to really stretch their legs, will cost you your driver’s license or worse. So yes, in more suburban environments, these cars are almost boring. On track, it’s a totally different story. The other issue is that as soon as you start going to the track, driving ANYTHING on public roads no longer becomes “exciting”. If you want a car that is more engaging off track, get one that is less capable. I recommend driving the new Cayman GTS 4.0. Still extremely capable on track but a bit more fun to flog “around town”. There’s also something to be said about driving a slower car fast, like a Miata. Maybe also look at used 981s with the 3.4 flat six.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 03-30-2021 at 10:45 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ryandarr1979:
Hdizzle (05-31-2021), Tedster (03-30-2021), Tupper (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 10:54 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by La Carrera
Scott, we live in strange times. I looked back at the photos of your car when you first got it. (https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1234...er-w-tint.html) That car is sick; It is BLEEPING amazing. Yes, you could sell it in a heartbeat. But if I were you, I wouldn't give up on it yet. I say give it a couple months. The stifling melancholy of the last year is getting ready to lift, and I find myself strangely unexcited by a lot of things just from the inability to travel freely and the mind numbing repetition of daily living that none of us have ever experienced before. I think it is all part of the equation. I suspect you'll feel better about things in time.
Scott is a FL resident as am I.
There is no "stifling melancholy" here what so ever, not even close. We had very brief bar, restaurant, etc. closures for about 6 weeks at this time last year. The winter season here has been glorious with great weather, boating, pool barbecues, bars rocking, restaurants operating normally. New construction exploding everywhere accompanied by a very positive across the board attitude and mindset.
Elections certainly have consequences.
The only real downside to owning sports cars here is the flat straight roads. Almost no twisties other than the sweeping highway off ramps. Probably more fun for some guys to own a Hellcat Red Eye here than a 911.
The following 6 users liked this post by phaser:
fastforddriver (04-03-2021), josephr25 (03-30-2021), La Carrera (03-30-2021), Rich_Jenkins (03-30-2021), TimD (03-30-2021), Tupper (03-30-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-30-2021, 11:01 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I had an F90 Comp.

It's fast, but the steering is REALLY numb. It's pretty isolated from the road. I got bored with it, but it's got tons of space and it will move.

It's technically faster than a 992, but it's a pretty subtle difference if you ask me. I really don't think this will scratch that itch.

Any car that you drive daily will get boring. Doesn't matter what it is. I used to daily drive a GT4. Same deal. At the end of the day, a daily driver becomes like an appliance. I think getting a "special car" as your weekend/track toy is the key.

My 992 is my daily driver and I keep a 993 as my weekend toy. This works for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
AlexCeres (03-30-2021), Marantz2270 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 11:03 AM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

I had posted something similar to OP on another thread a few weeks ago...a little over 400 miles on my manual 21 GT silver/black/bordeaux red C2S Cab and after the first few drives I'm just 'blah' about it...not specifically related to the 992 but overall just more 'car bored' than anything I think...turning out it was a 'pandemic boredom' purchase for me...I also live in a 100% walkable city and rarely need to drive it (pretty much only when I go golf which is a pain in this car)...no burning or urgent need to sell but I put mine on CarGurus last week...please PM if interested...it really would make best sense as a sale to IL resident who would save substantially on sales taxes.
The following users liked this post:
Scott Mayers (03-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Not finding the 992s exciting. Am I the only one?