Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not finding the 992s exciting. Am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 11:27 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

^ The OP did the right thing by selling, which is better than just letting it sit in the garage and hardly get used—which is far more tragic
The following 4 users liked this post by Tupper:
aggie57 (05-31-2021), detansinn (05-31-2021), russbert (06-01-2021), SamD (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 02:10 PM
Diane Garcia
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Mayers
Just wanted to come back to this thread for closure.

I did indeed sell the 992S to a member on PCA.org and the car is on a transporter on its way to a new home.

For now - given my life situation (only drive 20 miles a week) and given the price of the toy market - I'm going to sit on the sidelines. I've got another car I can drive for kid duty and such (Tesla). I was offered a GT4 with 2k miles on it for... wait for it. Only 17K OVER MSRP. I'm sorry - there's just no good reason to go out and purchase a luxury good / toy in this kind of market.

I ended up selling the car for what I paid for it back in December (not including taxes of course).

I hope the car can make the new owner happy - as I watched the transporter pull away - not a single regret in selling. I just never connected with the car. (and I did put over 3k miles on it in 6 months - mostly on spirited weekend drives - so I tried to get to like the car).

Best of luck - and if you're having any doubts about your commitment to YOUR car (be it a 992 or other P car) - now is definitely the time to sell. I doubt we will ever see a market like this again in our lifetime.
Someone got a great car!
The following users liked this post:
russbert (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 05:28 PM
John Tianqi Zhu
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

i think 992 is a good car, its just a lot of people have these high expectations where they think its going to be the best car at everything. it's just a pretty decent car thats all around good but not necessarily going to wow you
Old 05-31-2021, 06:47 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

^ Uh....it WOWed me

But I’m a sport car newbie. If I had owned high performance sports cars of various types for years, as many here have, I’m sure I’d have a different perspective. But even most of those people are impressed with this car. The people who publicly have stated they aren’t very happy with this car seem to be rather few and far between
Old 05-31-2021, 06:48 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by John Tianqi Zhu
i think 992 is a good car, its just a lot of people have these high expectations where they think its going to be the best car at everything. it's just a pretty decent car thats all around good but not necessarily going to wow you

No knock on the OP (everybody has their own bar), but he wrote the following to start the thread:

This is my second Porsche that looks to be a short timer. What is it about these cars that everyone gushes over. And I mean gush.”

This is his “2nd Porsche”. My thinking is he should have had a pretty good idea of the pro’s and con’s on the 992? God knows there are a TON of reviews from people that evaluate and review cars for a living. I reviewed (at least) 10 reviews on the 992 S, and drove the car multiple times before putting down a deposit. I like to think I did my homework BEFORE I jumped into the $$$ abyss....and was fully aware of the car’s shortcomings...which, by the way, IMO, are far and few between (I can list on one hand). Unless one is prepared to pay more, and move into super-car territory (which includes the 992 Turbo S), I can’t think of many cars in the $100-200K category that offer as much driving capability, as does the 992S....and I’m not just talking 0-60 or 1/4 mile times.

As far as your assessment, “ it’s a pretty decent car”. “”decent”? Wow. FYI - My other car is a M4, and I would classify that car as ‘pretty decent”. But the 992 and the M4, IMO, are two different animals.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 05-31-2021 at 06:56 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Diane Garcia (06-01-2021), Robash (05-31-2021), SBAD (06-01-2021), tez2013 (07-31-2021), Tupper (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 06:58 PM
WJ100
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I like to think I did my homework BEFORE I jumped into the $$$ abyss....and was fully aware of the car’s shortcomings...which, by the way, IMO, are far and few between (I can list on one hand).
Just curious, what do you view as the car's few shortcomings? I'm considering placing an order but haven't been able to get as much seat time as I'd like given the inventory... Umm... Situation. I'd like some more drive time prior to taking the plunge but in the meantime appreciate owners' real world feedback.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2021, 07:10 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by WJ100
Just curious, what do you view as the car's few shortcomings? I'm considering placing an order but haven't been able to get as much seat time as I'd like given the inventory... Umm... Situation. I'd like some more drive time prior to taking the plunge but in the meantime appreciate owners' real world feedback.

Thanks!

#1 is the lack of ease in getting into the frunk if the battery drops below 10v. For me, it’s a no brainer that the owner should be able to easily get into the frunk to jump the battery. It’s doable, but IMO, gaining access to the frunk seems unnecessarily complicated/difficult. My service adviser told me he thinks Porsche pourposely makes it a challenge, to see if you are smart enough to own a 911? Haha.

# 2 Per previous generations of 911’s, a number of the functions were located on buttons that one can easily select. Now, some of the functions have moved to the PCM. Again, not a deal breaker, but IMO, Porsche should have kept the buttons.

#3 The thing I miss most (from my BMW M4) is having a heads-up display.

Let me say, after 3 weeks of ownership...the 992 S is the best, most exciting to drive car I have ever owned....by a huge margin. It’s such a joy to drive. My service adviser recently asked if I wanted to sell my car back to the dealership...and he was willing to pay $20K MORE than what I paid. I didn’t think one second about his offer...there was zero chance that I would sell my 992 S.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 05-31-2021 at 07:12 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
bmclaurin (06-01-2021), Diane Garcia (06-01-2021), oneof5 (06-01-2021), Tupper (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 07:18 PM
WJ100
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the feedback and good to know that none of the shortcomings have anything to do with driving dynamics.

Being someone who went from an F82 M4 to an Alfa Giulia QV, I feel your pain on the lack of HUD. Also BMW does a nice job with so many more programmable shortcut buttons.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:53 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by WJ100
Thanks for the feedback and good to know that none of the shortcomings have anything to do with driving dynamics.

Being someone who went from an F82 M4 to an Alfa Giulia QV, I feel your pain on the lack of HUD. Also BMW does a nice job with so many more programmable shortcut buttons.

Appreciate your thoughts.
It’s taken me a bit to customize the PCM screen the way I want, but now that I’ve completed that task, it’s pretty cool, and have gotten to like the feature.

That said, since Porsche is a true drivers car...you would think that a HUD and buttons would be in easy reach, so the driver didn’t have to divert his/her attention from the road. One reason why I dislike the Tesla S...the large screen in the center of the console seems like an accident waiting to happen.

As
Old 05-31-2021, 08:44 PM
mashoutposse
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats on the sale.

Last edited by mashoutposse; 06-01-2021 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:02 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I had an F90 Comp.

It's fast, but the steering is REALLY numb. It's pretty isolated from the road. I got bored with it, but it's got tons of space and it will move.

It's technically faster than a 992, but it's a pretty subtle difference if you ask me. I really don't think this will scratch that itch.

Any car that you drive daily will get boring. Doesn't matter what it is. I used to daily drive a GT4. Same deal. At the end of the day, a daily driver becomes like an appliance. I think getting a "special car" as your weekend/track toy is the key.

My 992 is my daily driver and I keep a 993 as my weekend toy. This works for me.
Originally Posted by Scott Mayers
Just wanted to come back to this thread for closure.

I did indeed sell the 992S to a member on PCA.org and the car is on a transporter on its way to a new home.

For now - given my life situation (only drive 20 miles a week) and given the price of the toy market - I'm going to sit on the sidelines. I've got another car I can drive for kid duty and such (Tesla). I was offered a GT4 with 2k miles on it for... wait for it. Only 17K OVER MSRP. I'm sorry - there's just no good reason to go out and purchase a luxury good / toy in this kind of market.

I ended up selling the car for what I paid for it back in December (not including taxes of course).

I hope the car can make the new owner happy - as I watched the transporter pull away - not a single regret in selling. I just never connected with the car. (and I did put over 3k miles on it in 6 months - mostly on spirited weekend drives - so I tried to get to like the car).

Best of luck - and if you're having any doubts about your commitment to YOUR car (be it a 992 or other P car) - now is definitely the time to sell. I doubt we will ever see a market like this again in our lifetime.
Glad that you resolved your conflict and well the 992 was not the car for you obviously. There is one out there somewhere by some brand and hope you find it. Agree no need to pay ADM for any car out there so those who are doing so are just foolish in my opinion as money spent in those occasions just don't seem worth it....it is just a car not like the Ferrari from Ferris Bueller's Day Off or something. So glad I got my car last year and did my deal last summer before the madness and I did get a percentage off after initially being told by my dealer that they didn't have many customers getting any discounts off last summer on 992s. ADMs? No dayum way....would have kept my 991 Carrera S if that was the case.

As for the market...yeah its bananas right now in more than just the car game...lots driven my emotion not necessity or need or reason it seems. Folks pent up demand and 12+ mos of not being able to spend freely by those who were not economically affected by the COVID19 crisis more likely causes of those buying cars at any price and supply production issues. IMHO
The following users liked this post:
oneof5 (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:54 AM
Diane Garcia
Intermediate

No knock on the OP (everybody has their own bar), but he wrote the following to start the thread:

This is my second Porsche that looks to be a short timer. What is it about these cars that everyone gushes over. And I mean gush.”

This is his “2nd Porsche”. My thinking is he should have had a pretty good idea of the pro’s and con’s on the 992? God knows there are a TON of reviews from people that evaluate and review cars for a living. I reviewed (at least) 10 reviews on the 992 S, and drove the car multiple times before putting down a deposit. I like to think I did my homework BEFORE I jumped into the $$$ abyss....and was fully aware of the car’s shortcomings...which, by the way, IMO, are far and few between (I can list on one hand). Unless one is prepared to pay more, and move into super-car territory (which includes the 992 Turbo S), I can’t think of many cars in the $100-200K category that offer as much driving capability, as does the 992S....and I’m not just talking 0-60 or 1/4 mile times.

As far as your assessment, “ it’s a pretty decent car”. “”decent”? Wow. FYI - My other car is a M4, and I would classify that car as ‘pretty decent”. But the 992 and the M4, IMO, are two different animals.
Totally agree. Why buy a 992 if you are not totally wowed. To each his own but got to say, I think this gentleman is in the minority, considering you can't even get your hands on a 992 now, they are so scarce. I love my 2021 992S cabriolet that I waited almost 6 months for. Wouldn't sell it for 10k over sticker. There are a few options I wish I would have added (but didn't because price was getting crazy). But certainly NO REGRETS. Here she is...

The following 5 users liked this post by Diane Garcia:
bmclaurin (06-01-2021), oneof5 (06-01-2021), Patriot (06-01-2021), Skarz (06-02-2021), timjab (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 11:21 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Most Porsche sports cars will not be as exciting as some of the other marques.

Before anyone calls me out on that, let me clarify. They are incredibly capable cars that will keep you safe while enjoying them - but watch some of the "supercar fails" videos on YouTube and you won't see many Porsches. If you want a car that rides on the edge of control at times, will snap oversteer or just get away from you if you don't properly apply power there are plenty of other cars out there that will do that. A 992 will, for the most part, be relatively easy to control or recover if things start to go awry. It can still be made to do the things some other cars can do, albeit with less drama.

The most exciting car I have owned was an Aston Martin Vantage S. My heart would pound every time I put the "emotional control unit" in the ignition.

But it was mostly because you legitimately never knew if it was going to start. Seriously. I was stranded more times in that car than one would think was possible. Exciting, just in a different way.

Last edited by Dr. G; 06-01-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:17 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Diane Garcia
Totally agree. Why buy a 992 if you are not totally wowed. To each his own but got to say, I think this gentleman is in the minority, considering you can't even get your hands on a 992 now, they are so scarce. I love my 2021 992S cabriolet that I waited almost 6 months for. Wouldn't sell it for 10k over sticker. There are a few options I wish I would have added (but didn't because price was getting crazy). But certainly NO REGRETS. Here she is...

Really nice!! What options didn’t u get that you were considering? I got most of the options, and can let u know if I think they are worth it?
Old 06-01-2021, 03:27 PM
Diane Garcia
Intermediate

Really nice!! What options didn’t u get that you were considering? I got most of the options, and can let u know if I think they are worth it?
Probably my biggest regret is not having gotten the Porsche Exclusive design wheels. Honestly it wasn't so much about the money but that my husband's Traverse has wheels that look just like them! Still I love the way they look on the 992. I also wanted deviated red stitching on the black leather but that was around 5k extra so opted for the black leather with chalk stitiching and it looks really nice. I am OK with that decision. But wheels are something you cannot change. So many choices on the Porsche build site! But I am really happy with it overall. Thank you so much!!!

Quick Reply: Not finding the 992s exciting. Am I the only one?