Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not finding the 992s exciting. Am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 11:19 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
Maybe the OP would like a C7 Z06. I had one and found it very exciting. Very visceral. They can be had pretty cheaply, and if you don't like it you aren't out a bunch of money. As far as 991.1 GTS vs 992 base, I can say that I personally find the .1 more entertaining. That is the only comparison I can make since I haven't driven all the other variants.
Maybe you could try it out but I would recommend a long test drive first. I bought a brand new 19Z and did not like it. The throttle modulation on tip in was absolutely horrendous and would be different every time you went to take off. Became extremely frustrating as it was my DD. That and for me the power was just to much for a street car. Yes it was fun when you could get on it but you were in take me to jail speeds by the time you got proper traction. As a track car I would highly recommend it. I would not as a street car at least if you have any respect for the rules of the road and the safety of others.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:31 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

IMHO. Finding the 992s is more exciting than “Not finding the 992s”.
The following 4 users liked this post by detansinn:
AlexCeres (04-17-2021), Diane Garcia (05-31-2021), Patriot (06-01-2021), tez2013 (07-30-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 12:53 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Maybe you could try it out but I would recommend a long test drive first. I bought a brand new 19Z and did not like it. The throttle modulation on tip in was absolutely horrendous and would be different every time you went to take off. Became extremely frustrating as it was my DD. That and for me the power was just to much for a street car. Yes it was fun when you could get on it but you were in take me to jail speeds by the time you got proper traction. As a track car I would highly recommend it. I would not as a street car at least if you have any respect for the rules of the road and the safety of others.
Z06s are great cars period but you need to temper the throttle on public streets as you do in any car with such a high power to weight ratio. If a 4 cylinder Boxster or Miata type vehicle floats your boat then a C7Z is not likely to be a good choice. I just loved the massive low end torque that mine had, so much fun.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:22 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
It was corrected when they made the switch to full line TT engines.

Now we can get a TT Carrera - without having to spend TT money.

Thx. Good to know.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:14 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,255 Likes on 756 Posts
Default C7 Z06 transmission issues overview...

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...-transmission/
Old 04-17-2021, 05:30 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Yes, we must be listening to different experts. The 992 GT3 is 4.0 liter, not 3.0. 😳. Non turbo, developing 510 hp.
Reading comprehension. If you’d read the previous post. He’s owned numerous 911s. The 991.2 has a 3.0t.

I’m always more interested in the views of people who have a breadth of experience. I generally listen to them more. As opposed to those who’ve owned one.

How about you ? No ? Though not.

Every car that I’ve owned since the mid-80’s has been a turbo...and every one of them I have been able to easily “tune” to give me substantial boosts in HP. Key word is “easily”. Now, I don’t anticipate having to attempt that with my 992 S, as I think the 443 hp will keep me entertained for quite some time....not to mention, I’m not tuning anything while under warranty.

As for personal tastes - for me, unless I do the majority of driving on the track (which I won’t), the huge wing on the back does nothing for me, and in fact, detracts from the 992’s beautifully designed hind quarters. Driving the winged GT3 through my neighborhood would scream, “boy racer”, or at least, “midlife crisis”. Not my thing. As it is, just having a Porsche, any Porsche, is going to bring attention, which I don’t crave.
There’s been a non winged GT3 for a number of years, and there will be again. For those that don’t want the “boy racer/midlife crisis” idea. Like a string of tuned BMWs. Ahem. 🧐
Old 04-17-2021, 06:15 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Benedict14
Reading comprehension. If you’d read the previous post. He’s owned numerous 911s. The 991.2 has a 3.0t.
Yes, I read. He said: “I have a 991.2 TTS but still yearn for a .1. Anytime I see one I can't stop looking and I smile. Hence my future 992 GT3 purchase... It's that engine. I love the tuning capabilites of the 3.0.....”

“Reading comprehension”. Why the insult? Is this personal for you?

I get that he prefers the normally aspirated 991.1, to his 992.2TT...and that is why he’s getting the GT3. But what confused me was when he then said, “It’s the engine. I love the tuning capabilities of the 3.0”.

So, maybe it was clear to you, but it wasn’t to me. If I read his comment wrong, then I’m sure he is quite capable of pointing that out on his own.

I’m always more interested in the views of people who have a breadth of experience. I generally listen to them more. As opposed to those who’ve owned one.How about you ? No ? Though not.
Cool. Very impressive response. 😂

There’s been a non winged GT3 for a number of years, and there will be again. For those that don’t want the “boy racer/midlife crisis” idea. Like a string of tuned BMWs. Ahem. 🧐
Great! Although what’s more troubling is you seem to take someone’s opinion (eg, about a wing) as some kind of personal attack. It’s my opinion. Wow.

As far as a “string of tuned BMW’s” . Now who’s reading comprehension is in question? Never said anything about tuning a BMW, but if I had (as I have with other underpowered vehicles), doing an engine mod (turbo/waste gate) has zero effect on the car’s looks/ascetics, unlike a big *** wing hanging off a very beautiful bootie. But that’s just my opinion.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-17-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:32 PM
leaf345
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

For driving around the city, a car's exhaust note is really the only thing that differentiates an exciting car from a boring one. The 992 really doesn't sound like anything until you get close to 4000 RPM. The car is a lot of fun to drive around twisty mountain roads and (presumably) on the track, but for anything within urban limits it's tame affair. Perhaps that's by design? There are plenty of twin turbo 6 cylinder engines on the market that sound a lot better than this car.

I have thought about selling the C2S and getting back into a NA Cayman/Boxster GTS/Spyder, or perhaps moving away from Porsche altogether. I'm not wealthy enough to play the dealership games necessary to get a GT3, and even if I was I don't think I would want to - the new car is ugly to my eyes, probably the first time in Porsche's history where the Carrera looks better than a GT car for me. Perhaps a used 991.2 GT3, but I think those will only continue to get more expensive with time.

Last edited by leaf345; 04-17-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:39 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by leaf345
For driving around the city, a car's exhaust note is really the only thing that differentiates an exciting car from a boring one. The 992 really doesn't sound like anything until you get close to 4000 RPM. The car is a lot of fun to drive around twisty mountain roads and (presumably) on the track, but for anything within urban limits it's tame affair. Perhaps that's by design? There are plenty of twin turbo 6 cylinder engines on the market that sound a lot better than this car.

I have thought about selling the C2S and getting back into a NA Cayman/Boxster GTS/Spyder, or perhaps moving away from Porsche altogether. I'm not wealthy enough to play the dealership games necessary to get a GT3, and even if I was I don't think I would want to - the new car is ugly to my eyes, probably the first time in Porsche's history where the Carrera looks better than a GT car for me. Perhaps a used 991.2 GT3, but I think those will only continue to get more expensive with time.
Plenty?

Which ones?

The 992 sounds pretty good for a turbo.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:11 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,228 Likes on 705 Posts

Yes, I read. He said: “I have a 991.2 TTS but still yearn for a .1. Anytime I see one I can't stop looking and I smile. Hence my future 992 GT3 purchase... It's that engine. I love the tuning capabilites of the 3.0.....”

“Reading comprehension”. Why the insult? Is this personal for you?

I get that he prefers the normally aspirated 991.1, to his 992.2TT...and that is why he’s getting the GT3. But what confused me was when he then said, “It’s the engine. I love the tuning capabilities of the 3.0”.

So, maybe it was clear to you, but it wasn’t to me. If I read his comment wrong, then I’m sure he is quite capable of pointing that out on his own.

Cool. Very impressive response. 😂

Great! Although what’s more troubling is you seem to take someone’s opinion (eg, about a wing) as some kind of personal attack. It’s my opinion. Wow.

As far as a “string of tuned BMW’s” . Now who’s reading comprehension is in question? Never said anything about tuning a BMW, but if I had (as I have with other underpowered vehicles), doing an engine mod (turbo/waste gate) has zero effect on the car’s looks/ascetics, unlike a big *** wing hanging off a very beautiful bootie. But that’s just my opinion.
I'm touching on all bases in my posts.. Yeah I'm jumping around, but those with experience can follow. You are unable.

Chris Harris, AP, Jason Cammisa, Janko Lind, Matt Farah, Lieberman, Pobst, Vittel, and many many many more unnamed all prefer the NA variants to the Turbo variants.. Your answer as to which experts is "pretty much all of them".. Okay bud, nice answer. Name some. You're getting lost in in the Porsche lingo.

I'll lay it out again. My 991.2 TTS is worth more than your 992 (excluding 992 TTS), it will hold it's value stronger to your 992, it's faster than your 992. It sounds like crap, just like your 992. A 991.1 Carrera and Boxster/Cayman sound better AND is much more exhilarating to drive. My ownership experience, not my ignorance has shown me this. I don't cry and blindly defend my purchase as I'm at peace with myself. I like to taste ALL the flavors. The TTS is legendary in it's own respect. The 992 is great in it's own respect. 992 owners that bash the older cars are full of cope~ Not trolling... I'll let it rest here, I'm getting tired of repeating myself and sounding like a jackass which can result in my account getting banned. I value my membership here and mean no disrespect. Just sharing knowledge and experience within the confines of this appropriate thread.

Take care.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:36 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by 911dude41
I'm touching on all bases in my posts.. Yeah I'm jumping around, but those with experience can follow. You are unable.

Chris Harris, AP, Jason Cammisa, Janko Lind, Matt Farah, Lieberman, Pobst, Vittel, and many many many more unnamed all prefer the NA variants to the Turbo variants.. Your answer as to which experts is "pretty much all of them".. Okay bud, nice answer. Name some. You're getting lost in in the Porsche lingo.

I'll lay it out again. My 991.2 TTS is worth more than your 992 (excluding 992 TTS), it will hold it's value stronger to your 992, it's faster than your 992. It sounds like crap, just like your 992. A 991.1 Carrera and Boxster/Cayman sound better AND is much more exhilarating to drive. My ownership experience, not my ignorance has shown me this. I don't cry and blindly defend my purchase as I'm at peace with myself. I like to taste ALL the flavors. The TTS is legendary in it's own respect. The 992 is great in it's own respect. 992 owners that bash the older cars are full of cope~ Not trolling... I'll let it rest here, I'm getting tired of repeating myself and sounding like a jackass which can result in my account getting banned. I value my membership here and mean no disrespect. Just sharing knowledge and experience within the confines of this appropriate thread.

Take care.
Mr Dude,

I hope you find what you are looking for. I have. Oh, and to be perfectly clear, you diatribe means jack to me. Zero. But thanks for the good laugh.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-17-2021 at 10:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (06-01-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 11:14 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,484 Posts

I think it just comes down to what kind of history someone has with cars. I’ve had more NA cars than I can count. Hell - even my Chevy truck is NA lol... For most past CS owners - the TT/S cars were put on a pedestal for their TT engine. Now we actually have one in the base cars! I personally found that pretty exciting. I mean - we get a TT 911 w/o paying TT money! Let’s go! 🙃

Last edited by smiles11; 04-17-2021 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:10 PM
Csquared-
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 59 Posts

Surprised to see the lack of NA Cayman recommendations based on some of the OPs feedback. Most fun I've had in a road car, quite "accessible" performance.

Good luck, interested to hear what you end up in!
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (04-25-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 09:49 AM
Scott Mayers
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 17 Posts

Just wanted to come back to this thread for closure.

I did indeed sell the 992S to a member on PCA.org and the car is on a transporter on its way to a new home.

For now - given my life situation (only drive 20 miles a week) and given the price of the toy market - I'm going to sit on the sidelines. I've got another car I can drive for kid duty and such (Tesla). I was offered a GT4 with 2k miles on it for... wait for it. Only 17K OVER MSRP. I'm sorry - there's just no good reason to go out and purchase a luxury good / toy in this kind of market.

I ended up selling the car for what I paid for it back in December (not including taxes of course).

I hope the car can make the new owner happy - as I watched the transporter pull away - not a single regret in selling. I just never connected with the car. (and I did put over 3k miles on it in 6 months - mostly on spirited weekend drives - so I tried to get to like the car).

Best of luck - and if you're having any doubts about your commitment to YOUR car (be it a 992 or other P car) - now is definitely the time to sell. I doubt we will ever see a market like this again in our lifetime.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:10 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

To each their own.

I LOVE my 992. Not only for the sheer enjoyment, but the looks and comments I get no matter where I am...yes, affirmation is a good feeling.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Diane Garcia (05-31-2021), Tupper (05-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Not finding the 992s exciting. Am I the only one?