Sponsored by:

OK Sorry I couldn't resist. 992C4S ARRIVED at the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 04:16 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,304 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Hi and thank you for your comments. Yes, it's a C4S, with RAS and PDCC....

I briefly outlined my initial thoughts on the first drive and especially the fact that the outmost gauges are not visible (they are for the copilot though I'm assured). I do have black wheels for the Michelin Alpin5 tires. They're OZ Leggera HT. No, not considering powder coating the Spyder.

I do wish they had a duck tail option; definitely not a fan of the aerokit so glad it was dropped from my initial build. I will be putting in a 4 post air jack system as the F1 had in the 80s (I'm so done lifting cars) when the bank account stabilizes. I would have liked another black single or dual stripe on the frunk rather than the Porsche banner. I miss the traditional Home Link, this minimalist approach of hiding everything behind the 11.5 inch screen is annoying. I detest the fact that it can't remember what my 2008 Touareg does namely heated seat and steering wheel setting. Thus start up harks of a plane pre-take off check list: release brake, move shaver to D/R, press M, press Sports Exhaust, Disable ***... A lot of these if not all should be configurable.

But love the drive and feel. I can't really remember what my 71 Porsche 911 Targa drove like and that's perhaps a good thing as I do remember it leaked like a sieve.

I hope you get your tire replaced soon! Aloha from 65 North

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 04-27-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:22 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Hi and thank you for your comments. Yes, it's a C4S, with RAS and PDCC....

I briefly outlined my initial thoughts on the first drive and especially the fact that the outmost gauges are not visible (they are for the copilot though I'm assured). I do have black wheels for the Michelin Alpin5 tires. They're OZ Leggera HT. No, not considering powder coating the Spyder.

I do wish they had a duck tail option; definitely not a fan of the aerokit so glad it was dropped from my initial build. I will be putting in a 4 post air jack system as the F1 had in the 80s (I'm so done lifting cars) when the bank account stabilizes. I would have liked another black single or dual stripe on the frunk rather than the Porsche banner. I miss the traditional Home Link, this minimalist approach of hiding everything behind the 11.5 inch screen is annoying. I detest the fact that it can't remember what my 2008 Touareg does namely heated seat and steering wheel setting. Thus start up harks of a plane pre-take off check list: release brake, move shaver the D, press M, press Sports Exhaust, Disable ***... A lot of these if not all should be configurable.

But love the drive and feel. I can't really remember what my 71 Porsche 911 Targa drove like and that's perhaps a good thing as I do remember it leaked like a sieve.

I hope you get your tire replaced soon! Aloha from 65 North

siberian
Ha. Yeah the HomeLink option is interesting on this car. Like how it remember location via GPS and pops up but would rather have a button too. Mine I got programmed but couldn't figure out the gate rolling code so it pops up to activate nothing! Will get around to fixing it at some point...probably when I hard wire my radar detector via the overhead mirror tap DITY on the forum. Have parts but been just been lazy on that account. Another thing from your review I do hate is *** as I call it...auto start/stop to some. That thing has cut off on my at lights and some of the most in-opportune times and sometimes have been difficult and slow to restart. I have a manual so I ask WTH do I need stop start on the dayum thing? If I could disable it and KEEP it disabled great but it resets back to the same ON after you turn it off every time. If Porsche is listening please fix that with a software update. There is a duck tail BTW made by some Chinese company I think...looks pretty good but hmm quality and fitment and overall long term nobody knows. In any event glad you loved the drive back and enjoy the car and weather!

As for my tire...swapped out my winters Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires back onto my RS5 as a new P4S tire has been ordered but won't get here till end of May! As for the one its replacing...pulled a 4-5" nail out of the mid tread on Sunday...so its done and $430 dollars later with shipping will see new rubber arrive. Gives me time to clean and coat the wheels with wheel guard to cut down on the brake dust I guess... they're supposed to be black satin so looking at the bright side. Yes a lift one day I will have too!

Old 04-27-2021, 09:28 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,844 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
this minimalist approach of hiding everything behind the 11.5 inch screen is annoying. I detest the fact that it can't remember what my 2008 Touareg does namely heated seat and steering wheel setting. Thus start up harks of a plane pre-take off check list: release brake, move shaver the D, press M, press Sports Exhaust, Disable ***... A lot of these if not all should be configurable.
I second that. I'm in Tech but really we humans need to think twice about how to apply it.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:03 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,304 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I'm/was a Tech 2, but some so called techie stuff is ridiculous. I was able to permanently disable *** on a friend's 2018 Q7 via VAG-COM, my wife's 2020 Macan fortunately has a button that once pressed keeps *** OFF. Alas, on the 992 it's part of the pre-flight take off check list.

And a last item I can't help but rant is the slow but inexorable journey towards an Audi view of the world where a minimalist approach means you need to know as little as possible. So while to date we still have the data available it's now located in menus deep inside the PCM and 11 inch display. I miss the 991.2/Macan console where selectors were clearly marked and ACCESSIBLE on the console.

The pre-flight check list I mentioned may be cute, but it's a car not a plane and I DO NOT want to have to reset the heated seat or steering wheel every time I start the car fercryinoutloud. These should be programmable and stored per driver.

And lastly a remote start. Let's move on from the "for heaven's sake don't idle the car at start"...

siberian

PS I wasn't talking about a lift, but incorporated air jacks in the car as on the old F1. They had a system where an air hose was connected to the chassis and it lifted the car by 4 pilons in the car. Another system, for about $4,500, actually has a small tank in the car and you can raise it from inside the cabin. I won't match the 1.8 second Red Bull tire changing team but will make working on the car easier.

Last edited by siberian; 04-27-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply: OK Sorry I couldn't resist. 992C4S ARRIVED at the dealer