Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time Porsche Buyer, excited and perplexed about the build.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 01:54 PM
jack_carls0n
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts
Default First time Porsche Buyer, excited and perplexed about the build.

Hello everyone,

First time posting here, I am an enthusiast and really love the 911. Visited the local dealer for a test drive and was advised to go ahead and play with the build and send the SA few build codes and go from there. However, they are so many options that is fun and complicated at the same time. For most part I know what I like and want. I had few questions and wanted to get some suggestions and feedback from the crowd here.

I have very basic needs. I am trying to build a very basic 992 (Carrera S or Carrera) and try to keep the weight as low as possible. Will most likely be taking the car to the track 5-6 times a year and other times take it for drives around the country. The only must have for me is the AeroKit with the side skirts, other than that I am quite flexible. Upon reading seems like the Aerokit might take a while, but I am not in any kind of rush so can wait whenever they start offering that.

For my build the basic options/features I am looking for are: Standard Black/Mojave or Black interior, Sports tailpipes in black (quad tips), Extended Range Fuel Tank, Rear Wipers, Sports Plus 4-way seats, Porsche Crest on Headrest, GT Sports Steering wheel in Race-Tex. I am thinking to get the Night Blue Metallic option and get the wheels powder coated at a later stage.

My main doubt I am having is about PDK and the Manual Transmission and then the associated features that can be added with each. If I go with PDK, I would rather stick with the Base model (but might go with S, not sure about it). If it is the manual then I'll have to go with the S model. I did read that they will/might come up with the 992 T which would be most likely the base model with a Manual Transmission. I am guessing that would be same engine as the Base Version though?

Loved the manual transmission, it was butter smooth and was fun. Didn't get to try everything so had the following questions:

i) I read a lot of argument about the PDK and the Manual. I would love to get the manual, however, PDK is a pretty good. What do you guys think of the Manual Mode on the PDK and using the steering shifters? Does it give a similar experience of driving a manual or close? Or not really?

ii) With the Manual Transmission the sport chrono package becomes standard. Does that include the Porsche Track Precision App? Or is this thing is only available with PDK?

iii) Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep is only available with PDK. How good are those? I have driven Hondas and Subaru with them and they are pretty good, almost like being in a Tesla without the Autopilot. I am guessing ACC and ALK on 992 is alright but not as good as other cars or am I wrong. Saw the YouTube video about how disappointing ALK was.

iv) The car comes with Summer Tires, how do you guys cope when the temperature drop below the tire temp? Do you all keep a separate set? Also, is it recommended to drive with them in rain?

v) About the FAL. With the AeroKit, the SportDesign front fascia is installed, which reduces approach and departure angle. Not a lot of speed bumps in my area. But when you are driving, you do encounter them often now a days, plus you never know when you will be parking at one of those parking lots. If I am not getting the PASM Sport Suspension (10mm lowered), does FAL help in avoiding scrapes or taking it slow and coming at an angle is good enough?

vi) Lastly, I am thinking to go pick up the car in Germany. Covid makes it challenging but can be done (have to just wait for things to get normal). Just a tad bit easier for me though. How does Porsche Dealership feels about setting up that for you? or is it something that they try to push it off?

Thank you much. Appreciate it.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 02:16 PM
atl1glf
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts

I was in your shoes recently. I went with the manual over the PDK. For me, by the time I speced the base with the features and S with the same features (minus SPASM and HP from S) the price was about 10k and I just went with the S. I have been extremely happy so far. I wanted to do the European Delivery as well. Ended up doing PECATL and loved it. My dealership was helpful in providing info and answering questions. My sales agent had a chance to visit and experience the delivery centers in Europe and Atlanta. I can't tell you much about track use, acc, or alk. Changing tires will probably depend on the region of the country that you live in. Im in Atlanta, so the weather is not to crazy.

I do have the sport design bumper/SPASM and its not that too low where I felt that I have needed FAL. Any odd inclines, I just take at an angle. So far so good for a month.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:22 PM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 124 Posts

I will do my best to give this an honest go.......

i) I read a lot of argument about the PDK and the Manual. I would love to get the manual, however, PDK is a pretty good. What do you guys think of the Manual Mode on the PDK and using the steering shifters? Does it give a similar experience of driving a manual or close? Or not really?

Using the paddles works great in the PDK, but if you LOVE a manual.....you need to go with a manual. Merely shifting in manual mode on a PDK will not replicate the feeling of connectedness with the car. So, if you love manuals, go in that direction. I will address this issue again at the very end, where I completely contradict myself)

ii) With the Manual Transmission the sport chrono package becomes standard. Does that include the Porsche Track Precision App? Or is this thing is only available with PDK?

I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer this question.

iv) The car comes with Summer Tires, how do you guys cope when the temperature drop below the tire temp? Do you all keep a separate set? Also, is it recommended to drive with them in rain?

I live in Texas, so I pretty much drive with summer tires all year. Totally depends on where you live. Rain is no issue at all for me. My summer tires work great (Sport Cup 2s).

v) About the FAL. With the AeroKit, the SportDesign front fascia is installed, which reduces approach and departure angle. Not a lot of speed bumps in my area. But when you are driving, you do encounter them often now a days, plus you never know when you will be parking at one of those parking lots. If I am not getting the PASM Sport Suspension (10mm lowered), does FAL help in avoiding scrapes or taking it slow and coming at an angle is good enough?

I never experience scraping while driving on the road and I have PASM. Aggressive angles when getting into certain driveways IS a problem for me. So, I angle the car a lot to give me the best chance to avoid scrapes (I still usually catch it a little bit though)

vi) Lastly, I am thinking to go pick up the car in Germany. Covid makes it challenging but can be done (have to just wait for things to get normal). Just a tad bit easier for me though. How does Porsche Dealership feels about setting up that for you? or is it something that they try to push it off?

Picking up the vehicle in Germany would be incredible. However, I would check with the dealership and make sure that this is even an option right now. I could be mistaken, but I thought all overseas pick ups were canceled for the foreseeable future, due to COVID-19 restrictions. If I am incorrect in this matter, The dealership should have no issue with you getting the vehicle in Germany. I say this, because you would still have to drive it to the port in Germany and have the vehicle shipped to the dealership nearest you. Again, someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this.

My main doubt I am having is about PDK and the Manual Transmission and then the associated features that can be added with each. If I go with PDK, I would rather stick with the Base model (but might go with S, not sure about it). If it is the manual then I'll have to go with the S model.

I'm a little confused on this one because I would have thought the exact opposite. If going with the base model, I figured you'd be more interested in the manual and choose the PDK for the Carrera S.

Lastly, take note that while the Aero Kit is currently listed on the website, Porsche is in the process of phasing its availability out as we speak. So, it would likely not be available for a build right now. The Sport Design package should still be available though.

Based on your needs to take the car on track (I do so as well), I'd go with the Carrera S and the PDK. The Base Model in a manual would be fine too, but if you are really tracking it that much, the performance will be significantly better on track.

Last edited by jnkirk1974; 03-15-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:25 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

If you are looking to keep things super simple and even debating PDK vs MT, I would opt to go for Carrera S with MT, click on one of the packages that comes with the creature comforts you are after and call it a day. It's easy to start clicking buttons and before you know it, you've tacked on 25k+ worth of options you may or may not need.

Most folks around here either fall in the camp of being big fans of FAL or don't see the use for it at all. For what it's worth, I live in the Bay Area and regularly drive through Potrero Hill and Bernal Heights in San Francisco and have never had an issue with scraping so as long as you are mindful. As for Aero Kit, you may be waiting a long while or it may not show back up at all.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:51 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

If you are tracking a lot, PDK is really nice to have
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
AlexCeres (03-15-2021), jnkirk1974 (03-15-2021), smiles11 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 03:00 PM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 54 Posts

I will just address the MT vs PDK piece...

My first two cars were MT, and I always loved the engagement it provided. Even slow cars were fun in their own way. I chose PDK for my first 911, which was a 2013 C2S, because I lived in San Francisco at the time and frequently drove in traffic. It was a great car and PDK is a wonderful transmission. But there was a level of engagement missing in everyday driving that always nagged at me. On twisty backroads or on the track it was a non issue, because PDK is so good and there are enough other elements to the driving experience to keep you on your toes. As a parent of small children, I just don't drive in those environments very often.

Given all this, I've spec'ed my 992 C2S with a MT. I never actually got to test drive a MT, so I'm taking a leap of faith it will solve the issue I described above. Arrives in July and it will share daily duties with my Model S. Will report back
Mikster (03-17-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 03:29 PM
rdv
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by jack_carls0n
Hello everyone,

iii) Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep is only available with PDK. How good are those? I have driven Hondas and Subaru with them and they are pretty good, almost like being in a Tesla without the Autopilot. I am guessing ACC and ALK on 992 is alright but not as good as other cars or am I wrong. Saw the YouTube video about how disappointing ALK was.

i) I like the manual mode in PDK. Shifts faster than any human possibly can if shift speed is important to you. It's not the same as a manual tranny, you'll never have the same level of control over clutch engagement, but it's fine for many people.
ii) No idea, you're best served by asking your dealer.
iii) ACC is fine, works like the others, very similar to our Mercedes. Effective. I recommend it. LKA - fuggidaboutit. Hate it. Tugs on the steering wheel at the worst possible moments. Have it on my 2018 Ford F150 KR, and I always disable it. It's weird to be driving along and suddenly the wheel is tugging on your hands.
iv) I don't drive our 911 in winter, she get's parked in warm garage. I would never routinely drive in winter on summer tires - rubber compound, tread, wall stiffness, etc are optimized for warm weather. Buy a set of winter tires/rims if you plan to drive in inclement weather. Rain (not freezing rain) perfectly fine to drive it.
v) I have FAL and love it. It's worth every freaking penny to me. It has GPS and automatically remembers where to lift. Even with the base suspension I would add FAL if you can afford it. I put lowered springs on our 997 and regretted it every day until we sold it to our friend (now it's his problem).
vi) No idea. I did tourist delivery for my very first Porsche - a 1983 944. Had a fantastic trip and highly recommend it. Who cares whether the dealer is happy about it or not, you're the customer. You're spending a whole lotta coin - do what you want.
Cheers,
Ross

Old 03-15-2021, 04:06 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewTJ50
I will just address the MT vs PDK piece...

My first two cars were MT, and I always loved the engagement it provided. Even slow cars were fun in their own way. I chose PDK for my first 911, which was a 2013 C2S, because I lived in San Francisco at the time and frequently drove in traffic. It was a great car and PDK is a wonderful transmission. But there was a level of engagement missing in everyday driving that always nagged at me. On twisty backroads or on the track it was a non issue, because PDK is so good and there are enough other elements to the driving experience to keep you on your toes. As a parent of small children, I just don't drive in those environments very often.

Given all this, I've spec'ed my 992 C2S with a MT. I never actually got to test drive a MT, so I'm taking a leap of faith it will solve the issue I described above. Arrives in July and it will share daily duties with my Model S. Will report back
This was fun to read, as we have some similarities. Also an SF guy, also taking a leap on MT w/o driving, also have a Model S currently (though likely selling due to lack of parking).

Old 03-15-2021, 04:24 PM
Zanotti
Racer

Received 336 Likes on 127 Posts

It's incredibly easy to rent any Porsche, in almost any color, at the Porsche Museum in Zuffenhausen.

Why hassle with delivery and return, when you can fly to Germany, get to Stuttgart, rent want you want, give it back and go home?

Also, IDK about all that other stuff, but if unless you live in the flatlands where there are no hills, get FAL - it will save your bacon. It also helps off roading, just in case you have to do it!

Old 03-15-2021, 05:03 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,136 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Originally Posted by jack_carls0n
Hello everyone,

First time posting here, I am an enthusiast and really love the 911. Visited the local dealer for a test drive and was advised to go ahead and play with the build and send the SA few build codes and go from there. However, they are so many options that is fun and complicated at the same time. For most part I know what I like and want. I had few questions and wanted to get some suggestions and feedback from the crowd here.

I have very basic needs. I am trying to build a very basic 992 (Carrera S or Carrera) and try to keep the weight as low as possible. Will most likely be taking the car to the track 5-6 times a year and other times take it for drives around the country. The only must have for me is the AeroKit with the side skirts, other than that I am quite flexible. Upon reading seems like the Aerokit might take a while, but I am not in any kind of rush so can wait whenever they start offering that.

For my build the basic options/features I am looking for are: Standard Black/Mojave or Black interior, Sports tailpipes in black (quad tips), Extended Range Fuel Tank, Rear Wipers, Sports Plus 4-way seats, Porsche Crest on Headrest, GT Sports Steering wheel in Race-Tex. I am thinking to get the Night Blue Metallic option and get the wheels powder coated at a later stage.

My main doubt I am having is about PDK and the Manual Transmission and then the associated features that can be added with each. If I go with PDK, I would rather stick with the Base model (but might go with S, not sure about it). If it is the manual then I'll have to go with the S model. I did read that they will/might come up with the 992 T which would be most likely the base model with a Manual Transmission. I am guessing that would be same engine as the Base Version though?

Loved the manual transmission, it was butter smooth and was fun. Didn't get to try everything so had the following questions:

i) If you want a three pedal car, get the manual -- just watch out for those over-revs, because Porsche electronically logs and counts all of the excursions near and into the redline. If you're fine with two pedals, get the PDK and the enjoy the flexibility. Personally, I find the paddles and the manual gearbox to be distinct experiences that are equally engaging. I like that the PDK gives me the option of being lazy when I am driving through some place boring. When I am "on it", I can fire off gear changes faster than I could with a three pedal setup.

ii) I am pretty sure that it's a Sport Chrono thing, not something coupled to the type of transmission that you have.

iii) Porsche's Adaptive Cruise Control is outstanding and even it does full stop/start. I regularly use it if I am stuck in stop-and-go traffic. Lane Keep Assist isn't going to keep it in lane for you without driver intervention -- you'll still have to steer unless you go with InnoDrive.

iv) If you live where it gets cold, you should purchase a set of winter wheels/tires. They'll give you much better cold weather grip and you'll actually be able to enjoy the car through winter. Do not drive on the summer tires below 40 degrees. Not only will your traction and grip be limited, but you can damage the tires to the point that they will develop visible and invisible cracks. If you're not going to invest in the right rubber, park the car over the winter, because it's dumb and unsafe to drive on summer tires in freezing temperatures.

v) Unless you've got a particularly bad driveway situation at home or the office, I don't think that a 911 needs FAL. These aren't low cars and you can solve most challenges with the right approach angle.

vi) I am pretty sure that European delivery is still suspended. While things in the states are moving briskly, it's going to be a while before the EU gets back to anything resembling normal. If you plan on waiting, the 992.2s will likely be here before European delivery resumes. The dealer doesn't care where you pick up the car.

Last edited by detansinn; 03-15-2021 at 05:04 PM.
aggie57 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 05:06 PM
SamD
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 141 Posts

Go watch the Nick Murray vids on the options. It'll resolve a lot of this.
The following 5 users liked this post by SamD:
aggie57 (03-15-2021), AlexCeres (03-15-2021), AlterZgo (03-16-2021), Bluehighways (03-15-2021), MustangTornado (03-20-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 06:54 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

For years I have had two Porsches in my garage. My wife drives a Boxster with PDK, and I've had 911's and a Cayman GTS, all with manuals. Both cars are wonderful to drive. PDK is a marvel of engineering, and I'm fascinated by how quickly and smoothly it works. However, it just doesn't give the same feeling of engagement that the manual car gives. There's something about arm/leg/accelerator coordination that is deeply satisfying on some level. You feel like you become one with the car. And, I've found that a manual is more fun just puttering around urban and suburban streets. In that type of driving, the PDK doesn't feel much different than any other automatic, which is to say it is less than exciting. Yes, the paddle shifters can give you the illusion that you are shifting a manual, but they are really just buttons to push, and I think after playing with them for a while, most people just leave their cars in automatic mode. As others have said, the PDK will get you from point A to B faster than a manual, so if tracking is important to you, go with the PDK. I have a 992 C2S manual being delivered next month, and I confess that I thought long and hard about ordering the manual given the rave reviews the PDK has received-- but in the final analysis, I don't know anyone--Porsche owners and others--who bought a manual and later wished they had gotten an automatic. I'm sure there are a few out there, but I think they are rare. Bottom line: either a manual or PDK 992 is going to be superb, but if you want the ultimate sports car experience, I'd lean into the manual.
gohawks23 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 07:10 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

C2S manual, basic build.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:21 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,256 Posts

A.) I like the PDK, but in the end it’s not really a practical decision. It’s subjective and personal. Buy what you’ll like best. If like me, you live in an urban area you may prefer what I call the Zen of a Manual but the reality of traffic density and the proliferation of stop lights sways the balance in favor of the PDK, if it wasn’t already your preference.

B.) I believe the Porsche Track Precision App is not dependent on the transmission selection. But I have the PDK, so what do I know?

C.) I absolutely love the ACC and wouldn’t want a car without it. As for the ALK (not to be confused with LCA) I specifically ordered mine without it. Tesla does this feature really, really well. Porsche not so good, in fact, I found it to be more of a nuisance that a help.

D.) Not a problem in Southern California.

E.) I have to negotiate five speed bumps in my neighborhood every time I come or go. I do not have FAL and I do not need it. Even IF you do scrape something it’s the front spoiler lip and in a very un-Porsche pricing strategy, another can be had for less than $200. Even then they do not wear very much or very fast.

F.) I have no idea. My best guess is that they probably don’t care one way or another.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:46 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,952 Likes on 792 Posts

I'm a manual die hard and for me, it's manual or bust. But, if I were going to track the car 5-6x/yr then I would not hesitate to get a PDK. The PDK is amazing... it felt almost telepathic in knowing what gear to be in, what gears to hold depending on how you are driving the car and the shifts are amazingly smooth and instantaneous.

In terms of performance, a PDK equipped base carrera is about as quick as a manual Carrera S. If they made a base Carrera with manual, I'd still rather get a Carrera S w/ manual due to the performance penalty of the manual.

Another thing to be aware of on the manual - it only revs to 3500 RPM when stopped and in neutral so you won't be able to do any epic burnouts and even launching the car from a standstill seems a bit dodgy. Too bad Porche won't let you rev it up to at least 5K RPMs like with the PDK's launch control. This bothered me a bit... until I realized I haven't actually launched any of my manual cars hard off the line in over 15 yrs.

Quick Reply: First time Porsche Buyer, excited and perplexed about the build.