Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time Porsche Buyer, excited and perplexed about the build.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 07:11 PM
jack_carls0n
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by atl1glf
I was in your shoes recently. I went with the manual over the PDK.... Any odd inclines, I just take at an angle. So far so good for a month.
Thanks for the information atl1gif.. My math comes to a difference of 7k or so. With PDK one would want to add the ACC the least plus the wheels, seats etc are at a higher premium or included when compared to the S.

Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
I will do my best to give this an honest go.......
Using the paddles works great in the PDK, but if you LOVE a manual.....you need to go with a manual....the performance will be significantly better on track.
Thank you for the insight jnkirk1974. I am inclined towards to the manual for now. I live in Tampa, most of the year temperature isn't an issue but lately 3 months of a year the temp is close to 50F throughout which may need winter tires (not snow tires, but winter tires). Most likely the tires shouldn't be an issue but was just wondering if for a car that has this much power, that it would make a difference or not. I actually got to see a car at the dealership that was lowered and aerokit installed on it. It definitely has more clearance than I would have thought off.
Surprisingly the SA mentioned that one can currently still opt for delivery in Germany but getting there is on your own. Plus you have to manage the lockdown. But again for me and my SO is not an issue to get there.

Originally Posted by seanhaus
If you are looking to keep......As for Aero Kit, you may be waiting a long while or it may not show back up at all.
Appreciate it seanhaus. True, even adding few options adds up the $$ pretty fast. So trying to keep it minimal and yet have the best suitable option is a challenge. I was down at the dealer. They had the exact same car. The couple were picking up their 992 C2S with manual, PASM 10MM, Manual with aerokit. Looked perfect! The aerokit will be delayed for sure, but as per the SA it will continue. But come 2022 it all depends! So will have to wait and see how the supply chain improves down the road.

Originally Posted by rk-d
If you are tracking a lot, PDK is really nice to have
Not a lot, but just enough, id say 80-20 ratio! Thus, manual choice. That is the biggest decision- MT or PDK!

Originally Posted by DrewTJ50
I will just address the MT vs PDK piece...

My first two cars were MT, .... Will report back
Thanks Drew, look forward to your report I feel the same. Somehow a MT adds a level of engagement that the automatic doesn't. July is just around the corner. I am sure you are excited.

Originally Posted by rdv
i) I like the manual mode in PDK. Shifts faster than any human possibly can...
Cheers,
Ross
Cool information. Thanks Ross. I am guessing Florida weather shouldn't be an issue for the tires. But again have to be careful when it does drop to almost freezing levels (rare but it does happen nowadays).

Originally Posted by 403portside
This was fun to read, as we have some similarities. Also an SF guy, also taking a leap on MT w/o driving, also have a Model S currently (though likely selling due to lack of parking).
Sometimes the gut feeling is the best way to do things!

Originally Posted by Zanotti
It's incredibly easy to rent any Porsche..
That is a good idea and I didn't know about it. The SA mentioned about it and it is an option. However, feels like taking your Porsche out in another country would be fun!

Originally Posted by detansinn
i) If you want a three pedal car, get the manual -- .
Guess the three pedals it is. Plus my SO knows how to drive a manual too!

Originally Posted by SamD
Go watch the Nick Murray vids on the options...
I did, wasn't sure if the 992 LKA was as bad as 991s! I would have thought they would have improved the LKA on 992.

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
For years...I'd lean into the manual.
Thanks OwingsMills. Just something about the engagment. For me getting from A to B the fastest is not as important as how I get there!

Originally Posted by phaser
C2S manual, basic build.

Originally Posted by Bluehighways

I like the PDK, but in the end it’s not really a practical decision
Good advise on the FAL and I somewhat agree with you about the PDK.

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
If they made a base Carrera with manual, I'd still rather get a Carrera S w/ manual due to the performance penalty of the manual.

Another thing to be aware of on the manual - it only revs to 3500 RPM when stopped and in neutral so you won't be able to do any epic burnouts and even launching the car from a standstill seems a bit dodgy.
Good to know this bit. I agree, somehow the S feels to have the perfect sweet spot for me! But I guess no more revving engines when next to a muscle car at the stop let!

Thank you everyone. Very good information. I didn't reply back earlier. I went to another dealer to talk to the SA. Much better experience too. I will put a deposit for an allocation first. See how things work out with allocation and go from there. As mentioned, first time buyer so it is not like buying just another car. So learning various things as I go ahead.

That was the 992 S at the Dealership that was being delivered to a happy couple. Beautiful car

Old 03-16-2021, 07:50 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 718 Likes on 391 Posts

I have a 2019 gt3rs so obviously a pdk and I track cars. Get the manual 10000000%

There is nothing better than tracking a manual. The driver makes all the difference on a racetrack, NOT the pdk. Manual is 10000x as fun

GET A MANUAL!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by welikethetrack:
997usa (03-16-2021), txpackers (03-17-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 08:35 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,391 Posts

As most have said, the PDK vs manual debate is really a personal thing. Whether it's age/health/usage/demographics of where you live (ergo traffic) or other than sways you one way or another, it's really very personal.

For my C4S, at 70 y.o, the debate ended when TOWMBO asked me whether 5 years or so from now I would still want to press in a clutch. Went with the PDK. A last point on this issue of "engagement", F1 has ditched manuals decades ago; must be a reason they don't feel "engagements" are critical or help win races. As for me I drive in "manual" 100% of the time on a 7 speed PDK or 6 speed DSG Tiptronic (that wish I could swap out). The best of both worlds...Just saying...

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 03-16-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:07 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

F1 drivers do not race to have fun. They race to win-- and nobody is disputing the fact that a PDK car is faster than a manual. The question is whether the vast majority of us who drive exclusively on public roads have more fun with a manual than we would with a PDK. I'm not saying that PDK's aren't great, or that those who drive them don't thoroughly enjoy them. It just seems, though, that the consensus says the manual is the biggest thrill to drive on the kind of roads that a Porsche is bred for. If I had to slog for an hour or two each day in bumper to bumper traffic, there's no question that the PDK would be the better choice. For the recreational driver driving on sports car-tailored roads, I doubt most manual drivers would say, "Gee, I wish this car were an automatic".
The following users liked this post:
997usa (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 09:23 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think the day Lewis Hamilton et al no longer have fun, they go do something else. And yes, of course it is to win.

I don't really know what a "sports car tailored road is" as I don't have one within probably hundreds of miles around nor am I a "recreational driver" as I expect to drive my car every or near every day. But I will have no less fahrvergnugen (after a lifetime of MT) than MT owners. It's a personal decision either way doesn't make us more or less "engaged" IMHO of course

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 03-16-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:53 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 511 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by atl1glf
I was in your shoes recently. I went with the manual over the PDK. For me, by the time I speced the base with the features and S with the same features (minus SPASM and HP from S) the price was about 10k and I just went with the S. I have been extremely happy so far. I wanted to do the European Delivery as well. Ended up doing PECATL and loved it. My dealership was helpful in providing info and answering questions. My sales agent had a chance to visit and experience the delivery centers in Europe and Atlanta. I can't tell you much about track use, acc, or alk. Changing tires will probably depend on the region of the country that you live in. Im in Atlanta, so the weather is not to crazy.

I do have the sport design bumper/SPASM and its not that too low where I felt that I have needed FAL. Any odd inclines, I just take at an angle. So far so good for a month.
Several problems associated with European Delivery. One is the paint protection. The 992 is a chip magnet. So, you would have no choice but to tick the factory installed front wrap. This would protect the car until you get back to the States. But, then, you really need to have an installer remove the Factory wrap as it is poor quality. So you would be paying for a wrap, twice.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:02 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not to mention that given COVID, countries open and close their borders at random intervals which could last weeks. It may be the "EU" but Italy closes while some other country opens etc. Just something else to consider.

siberian
Old 03-16-2021, 10:45 PM
jack_carls0n
Racer

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
Get the manual 10000000%
GET A MANUAL!!!!
Another point in the Manual's Basket!

Originally Posted by siberian
As most have said..
Very good and wise advise! I was advised the SA to go to Porsche Driving Center and try both. Even though it is not offered, I am sure I can make it work! Test out the Carrera(PDK) and the Carrera S (MT). This will be an individual choice and the best way to decide. Unless someone in Tampa Bay Area has a Base Carrera and a Carrera S. That would be willing to do some testing

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
F1 drivers do not race to have fun..... .
Watching countless documentaries, they had the most fun in the beginning of their careers! But yeah racing for winning and racing for pleasure would be different story! F1 racing is driven by different motives. Passion, Money, Points, Status... I am sure a lot on stake. For me on the track it is just me and the clock. 100s and 1000s of drivers are better and more experienced then me.. so not trying to beat them!

I think the day Lewis Hamilton ...
siberian
Who knows what will happen if they stop having fun, guess that is when their retire in their late thirties! But I guess the answer to fun is to keep bringing changes and have variations.

Originally Posted by malibu515
Several problems associated with European Delivery.....
good advise there. Some food for thought.

Not to mention that given COVID..
siberian
Yeah, lot of issues. But again things change every day, week or month. I am looking at the bright light in few months...

Thank you again for all the insight. I didn't want to start a PDK vs Manual discussion, but it is tough to avoid it. I guess the best way to know would be to go to Porsche Experience Center and try both the version and choose on my own. That should give me a pretty good gauge on the transmission and the cars themselves! Will keep posted.

Also, if anyone in Tampa Bay Area is keen on showing their cars (Carrera 2 Base and Carrera 2S). We can do a comparison video. I guess that is something not available yet...I have good editing and filming skills. Anyway, the journey is exciting...

How about the Porsche App on 992s with Manual Transmission. Is that something that works on MT too? The configurator only shows that info for the PDK with Sports Chrono but not with the MT. So just curios. Will drop a message to the SA to confirm too.

Thank you all.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:29 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

Keep in mind that the acceleration penalty of the MT versus PDK is a little misleading. Most people quote the 0-60 times as proof and suggest the base Carrera PDK is faster than the S MT. The truth is more nuanced because the real difference comes from PDK having LAUNCH CONTROL while the MT does not AND MT has an added disadvantage of limited RPM from a standing start. Remember, there is only ONE shift change in a 0-60 run, so its NOT all about the shift speed.

But so what? The 911 is not a dragster and stop-light racing on the street is stupid. The 992S MT will feel (and be) faster in REAL driving conditions because of the significant increase in torque and horsepower. Now on the track, Porsche racing greats like Vic Elford have said the latest PDK in full auto will be faster than an MT.
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (03-18-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 11:49 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 511 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by SamD
Go watch the Nick Murray vids on the options. It'll resolve a lot of this.
Nick demonstrates the Lane Keep Assist does not work well. You are halfway into the next lane before it kicks in.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:21 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,983 Likes on 805 Posts

I think the day Lewis Hamilton et al no longer have fun, they go do something else. And yes, of course it is to win.
When Lewis Hamilton ordered a Pagani Zonda, he got one with a custom built manual transmission. So for Lewis Hamilton, it's automatic for speed/winning and manual for fun.

But I'm with you on some of the reasons to choose PDK over manual. I remember when I badly sprained my left ankle playing basketball and had to still drive home in my manual equipped car. It was the most painful 45 min drive ever. I've had other situations where I messed up my knee and couldn't push the clutch in for a week so in the back of my mind I always worry a bit about what I would do if I got injured and couldn't drive manual. But, I still come back to manuals over and over and over again. My last 3 cars have been manuals and, if I can get an allocation, I have a manual spec'd guards red 992 all ready to go.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:34 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,531 Posts

I remember when I badly sprained my left ankle playing basketball and had to still drive home in my manual equipped car. It was the most painful 45 min drive ever.
I once smacked my track car into a earth-backed tyre wall at a track 10 hours drive from home. Cracked 2 ribs, had to load the now 18" shorter car onto the trailer and drive home. Thankfully the tow vehicle was an auto truck but man that hurt. I don't laugh much even now.....
Old 03-18-2021, 09:46 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

When Lewis Hamilton ordered a Pagani Zonda, he got one with a custom built manual transmission. So for Lewis Hamilton, it's automatic for speed/winning and manual for fun.

But I'm with you on some of the reasons to choose PDK over manual. I remember when I badly sprained my left ankle playing basketball and had to still drive home in my manual equipped car. It was the most painful 45 min drive ever. I've had other situations where I messed up my knee and couldn't push the clutch in for a week so in the back of my mind I always worry a bit about what I would do if I got injured and couldn't drive manual. But, I still come back to manuals over and over and over again. My last 3 cars have been manuals and, if I can get an allocation, I have a manual spec'd guards red 992 all ready to go.
​​​​​​​The only time I have ever regretted having a manual transmission was when I ruptured my Achilles playing squash and then had to drive home in my M5 through downtown Boston to the burbs. Try pushing a clutch without using your calf...
Old 03-18-2021, 12:54 PM
jack_carls0n
Racer

Originally Posted by SBAD
Keep in mind that the acceleration penalty of the MT versus PDK is a little misleading...
I agree on that with you. The 0-60 number on a Tesla S is much lower but driving that thing is no fun, is it? Yeah track performance is a different story. But again comes down to me. Thanks for the input SBAD.

Originally Posted by malibu515
Nick demonstrates the Lane Keep Assist does not work well. You are halfway into the next lane before it kicks in.
I looked at the video. I believe it was a 991 that he drove. I wanted to check if anything improved with the 992.

When Lewis Hamilton ordered a Pagani Zonda....
For sure. I had a broken arm, and I could still drive an Automatic car. With a manual, i'd be stuck. But the 992 would be our second car. The other one (daily driver) has all the creature comforts.

Originally Posted by aggie57
I once smacked my track car into a earth-backed tyre wall at a track 10 hours drive from home. Cracked 2 ribs, had to load the now 18" shorter car onto the trailer and drive home. Thankfully the tow vehicle was an auto truck but man that hurt. I don't laugh much even now.....
OUCH!!

Originally Posted by chong0
The only time I have ever regretted having a manual transmission was when I ruptured my Achilles playing squash and then had to drive home in my M5 through downtown Boston to the burbs. Try pushing a clutch without using your calf...
Oh yeah, that wouldn't be fun at all!

So from all the input here and talking to the SA, I thought I will try the PDK vs Manual at the Porsche Experience Center. I remember seeing a week ago that there was a Manual vs PDK experience on the 911. But now they don't have that and all the 911 they have is with PDK! Such a bummer...wonder what is the reason the experience center to get rid of their MT 911s!
So will have to figure it out. But no rush, have all the time in the world to do that.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:18 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,830 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by jack_carls0n
I agree on that with you. The 0-60 number on a Tesla S is much lower but driving that thing is no fun, is it? Yeah track performance is a different story.
I've ridden a few times in my friend's Model 3 with the performance package or whatever it is. When he floors it, it is ridiculously quick. And makes you feel a bit sick due to that much instant acceleration.

I drive a car to drive it and enjoy that connected aspect. Not to put my stomach in the back seat. And the 0-60 on the new Plaid S coming out, not sure I want to experience that.

Quick Reply: First time Porsche Buyer, excited and perplexed about the build.