Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time Porsche Buyer, excited and perplexed about the build.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 06:19 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 167 Posts

i) With the Manual Transmission the sport chrono package becomes standard. Does that include the Porsche Track Precision App? Or is this thing is only available with PDK?
That is not true. You can spec the manual without the sport package.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:28 PM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedster
That is not true. You can spec the manual without the sport package.
Interesting. That is a recent change to the configurator - it used to automatically select the sport package when you selected MT.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:12 PM
ritchieg
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 42 Posts

Since you are only going to the track 4 or 5 times a year what do you want out of these trips? The fastest time you can get to beat other people or just for the fun of driving on the track???? If you want the fastest time possible then PDK and an S or if you are really crazy then go for the 911 Turbo S. Any model will give you a thrill and unless you are a professional, people with much less capable cars will probably beat you, the driver not the car can be the most important item. You will be driving the car up to 365 days on normal roads so I wouldn't sacrifice items I wanted for a little thrill 4 or 5 times a year.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:09 AM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 87 Posts

I live in Alaska, the car is undriveable in the winter with standard tires. I did it once. Scary does not describe it.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:35 AM
jack_carls0n
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ritchieg
Since you are only going to the track 4 or 5 times a year what do you want out of these trips? The fastest time you can get to beat other people or just for the fun of driving on the track????
Good argument and I agree with you. On the track, I am not trying to get the fastest time or beat someone in race. More about what me as a driver can get the best out of it. For analogy purpose, as a pilot of a jetliner, getting rid of the automation and doing most of the stuff your self is more exciting then letting all the automation assist you.. I am not saying I want be a race driver on the road, but trying to find which option is more engaging on the road and the track...turbo S is out of my budget!
Old 03-20-2021, 04:40 AM
jack_carls0n
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim Wilke
I live in Alaska, the car is undriveable in the winter with standard tires. I did it once. Scary does not describe it.
My first RWD car I got was a MT BRZ/FRS in Anchorage. Currently in Anchorage.. love the place.. hope you are keeping her warm!!
I got Nokian Studded tires for the winter. It was a lotta fun and planted to the ground even on the icey roads and the snow.. But not planning to drive 992 in Snow. I was just wondering about the times when temperature drops to freezing. Does that impact the summer tires that they come with was what I was wondering about. I remember reading that when summer tires are good till 45F about 7C. But below that you will need winter tires.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:13 AM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

[QUOTE=jack_carls0n;17308889]My first RWD car I got was a MT BRZ/FRS in Anchorage. Currently in Anchorage.. love the place.. hope you are keeping her warm!!
I got Nokian Studded tires for the winter. It was a lotta fun and planted to the ground even on the icey roads and the snow.. But not planning to drive 992 in Snow. I was just wondering about the times when temperature drops to freezing. Does that impact the summer tires that they come with was what I was wondering about. I remember reading that when summer tires are good till 45F about 7C. But below that you will need winter tires.
OTE]

Absolutely. Summer tires not only lose grip, but become stiff and brittle and will fail in cold temperatures. If you're driving regularly below 45 degrees, and especially when it's nearing freezing, you need all season or winter tires.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:15 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,308 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Jim, where are you at? Jack a shame you won't or don't drive the 992 in winter. I'm driving down to Anchorage in a couple of weeks to pick up my 992C4S when it gets to the Port of Anchorage. We'll be doing the tire summer to winter swap there.

Alas, Nokian doesn't have anything for the 992s (do have the wife's Macan on Hakka 9 studded and my Touareg on Hakkas absolutely rock solid) so I opted for the Michelin Alpin for winter with Oz Leggera rims.

We're planning some drives in the interior with folks starting in Spring, once breakup happens. So if you're interested PM me. Mike Holzclaw, Porsche AK President, also organizes monthly events out of Anchorage. Best from 65 North

siberian
Old 04-24-2021, 12:06 PM
jack_carls0n
Racer

So made a deposit and wanted a allocation for next year. Dealer is happy to work it out and gave me the option to pick GTS/T/CS2, whichever is available by the end of the year. Works perfect. Excited and look forward.

Sticking with MT/Aerokit/ extended fuel tanks..rear wipers..quad exhaust.. and standard interior.

May add the premium package.. not sure.

And that is about it.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:23 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 707 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by jack_carls0n
So made a deposit and wanted a allocation for next year. Dealer is happy to work it out and gave me the option to pick GTS/T/CS2, whichever is available by the end of the year. Works perfect. Excited and look forward.

Sticking with MT/Aerokit/ extended fuel tanks..rear wipers..quad exhaust.. and standard interior.

May add the premium package.. not sure.

And that is about it.
So what exactly is your down payment getting you? It’s not a discounted price I assume, not for a specific car and not for an actual allocation. The dealer holds all the cards. I would suggest you keep talking to other dealers as you get closer to your desired delivery date.

Last edited by SBAD; 04-24-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:38 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,308 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Please also read the Dealer Pitfalls thread for questions to ask or at least be aware. It's not all about the discount, to very briefly sum it up for you:

1) Allocation. If a dealer doesn't have that, move on
1a) Once you lock in and submit your deposit, the dealer should provide you with a Commission number within 24 hours

2) Deposit. This can vary greatly. Personally being (very) remote from the dealer ended up putting down $15k - normal should be about $5-8k

3) Taxes. Get IN WRITING specifically what taxes will be added to the cost of the vehicle. In certain cases either dealer or State fees will make you look elsewhere.

4) MSO. Unless you live in LA, Chicago or other large metropolis (and you don't want to stand in line at DMV) state that you want your MSO delivered with your vehicle. If they don't, walk away. It's too much hassle dealing with this not to mention people have had anywhere from $390 to over a grand added to the price - no doubt shared between the plate agent and the dealer. In my case 5 weeks after paying for the car I still don't have my tags or title. So no MSO, no deal.

The rest you can find in the thread. Don't be afraid to cast your net far and wide, the Force will be with you

siberian
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 12:48 PM
jack_carls0n
Racer

Originally Posted by SBAD
So what exactly is your down payment getting you? It’s not a discounted price I assume, not for a specific car and not for an actual allocation. The dealer holds all the cards. I would suggest you keep talking to other dealers as you get closer to your desired delivery date.
A small discount is agreed upon. The dealer has some cards, and I am in touch with another dealer. So keeping my options open. Plus the money is refundable. The only reason I made a deposit was for my self benefit of not having my wonder too much. Plus wasn't a huge amount.

I am working with 2 dealers in my area. Plus I have picked up a car (another brand) in past from another county about 3 hrs away. It isn't fun.

The 2 dealer I am working with have been pretty helpful. So no issue at all.

Just my thought process.
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 12:50 PM
jack_carls0n
Racer

Originally Posted by siberian
Please also read the Dealer Pitfalls thread for questions to ask or at least be aware. It's not all about the discount, to very briefly sum it up for you:

1) Allocation. If a dealer doesn't have that, move on
1a) Once you lock in and submit your deposit, the dealer should provide you with a Commission number within 24 hours

2) Deposit. This can vary greatly. Personally being (very) remote from the dealer ended up putting down $15k - normal should be about $5-8k

3) Taxes. Get IN WRITING specifically what taxes will be added to the cost of the vehicle. In certain cases either dealer or State fees will make you look elsewhere.

4) MSO. Unless you live in LA, Chicago or other large metropolis (and you don't want to stand in line at DMV) state that you want your MSO delivered with your vehicle. If they don't, walk away. It's too much hassle dealing with this not to mention people have had anywhere from $390 to over a grand added to the price - no doubt shared between the plate agent and the dealer. In my case 5 weeks after paying for the car I still don't have my tags or title. So no MSO, no deal.

The rest you can find in the thread. Don't be afraid to cast your net far and wide, the Force will be with you

siberian
thank you for the advise Siberian. Thanks to others for suggestion to.

Will discuss all this with my SA.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:38 PM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
I'm also curious about anything your SA said regarding the T by end of year. My timing is similar and I'm on the list for the T, but may add a deposit on the S soon if there's no new chatter on the T.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:43 PM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by seanhaus
If you are looking to keep things super simple and even debating PDK vs MT, I would opt to go for Carrera S with MT, click on one of the packages that comes with the creature comforts you are after and call it a day. It's easy to start clicking buttons and before you know it, you've tacked on 25k+ worth of options you may or may not need.

Most folks around here either fall in the camp of being big fans of FAL or don't see the use for it at all. For what it's worth, I live in the Bay Area and regularly drive through Potrero Hill and Bernal Heights in San Francisco and have never had an issue with scraping so as long as you are mindful. As for Aero Kit, you may be waiting a long while or it may not show back up at all.
I'm also in SF - do you have SPASM or the standard suspension?

Quick Reply: First time Porsche Buyer, excited and perplexed about the build.