Sponsored by:

Bedding-in brakes in new 992

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 01:50 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Bedding-in brakes in new 992

My car will soon be delivered, and I was wondering how many people bedded in their brakes in the way that is often described in various websites-- multiple slow-downs from 60 to 20, no complete braking when rotors are hot, etc. I believe the owners manual is silent on a bedding-in ritual, other than to say that hard braking should be avoided for the first few hundred miles.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:44 PM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
My car will soon be delivered, and I was wondering how many people bedded in their brakes in the way that is often described in various websites-- multiple slow-downs from 60 to 20, no complete braking when rotors are hot, etc. I believe the owners manual is silent on a bedding-in ritual, other than to say that hard braking should be avoided for the first few hundred miles.
If the manual is silent when it comes to the bedding process of the brake pads, it’s probably due to the fact that it is not of the upmost importance for the standard brake pad on the car. Now, if you plan on doing significant track time and you have installed a set of Pagid brake pads (or other brand), it is far more important to follow the bedding process.

In my previous cars, I’ve done a few high speed stops and called it a day. Never put too much value into the bedding process. Now, if I was getting brake squeal, I’d do it just to help eliminate some noise.

Again, if you have racing brake pads, follow the process given in the manufactures instructions. Higher quality brake fluid is also vital in this situation.

Last edited by jnkirk1974; 03-11-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:00 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks. I'm not going to ever track the car or abuse the brakes. I was just wondering whether the bedding-in process, described so often on the web, is recommended for a new 992 to assure optimal performance. It sounds like it's not.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

You don’t need to bed in the Porsche brakes.

You can, but not necessary.

The OEM pads are not aggressive enough to require bedding-in, and in fact are cured/bedded-in at the factory.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 03-11-2021 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:42 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You don’t need to bed in the Porsche brakes.

You can, but not necessary.

The OEM pads are not aggressive enough to require bedding-in, and in fact are cured/bedded-in at the factory.
is this still true for 992s? i seem to recall something about it in the owners manual. i just avoid hard braking and really try to ease into the peddle ... all while keeping below 4K.

Old 01-16-2024, 05:30 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Show of Hands:

1) Who here has ever had a brake failure or pre-mature replacement issues from failure to bed in the brakes?

2) Who here has ever had to replace or repair an engine due to wear from running over 4K RPM's when new?

<pindrop>

....didn't think so.

(My break in procedures for all my cars, trucks and motorcycles is pretty much 1) Look Left, 2) Look Right, 3) Nail it.
The following 3 users liked this post by drcollie:
911therapy (01-16-2024), shack993 (01-16-2024), txpackers (01-17-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 05:42 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Show of Hands:

1) Who here has ever had a brake failure or pre-mature replacement issues from failure to bed in the brakes?

2) Who here has ever had to replace or repair an engine due to wear from running over 4K RPM's when new?

<pindrop>

....didn't think so.

(My break in procedures for all my cars, trucks and motorcycles is pretty much 1) Look Left, 2) Look Right, 3) Nail it.
I once witnessed a new race engine self-destructing on it's 1st lap out of the pits because the driver failed to follow instructions to warm it up before nailing the gas. Not quite the same thing I know but something you don't forget in a hurry, And yes, the engine was built properly and it was totally failure to listen on the numbskull drivers part.
Old 01-16-2024, 06:16 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 314 Posts

Bedding gets more and more important as your pad compound gets more and more extreme. You have to burnish the brakes to get good braking performance on track pads. Conversely if you street drive your track pads with light braking applications you actually end up un-bedding because at low temperature, the pads are super abrasive and you are scraping pad material off the rotor, and you have to re-bed them at high temperatures to get pad material to transfer to the rotors again. In the case of stock pad material, they are beyond mellow and you don't have to worry about it.

Last edited by VarTheVar; 01-16-2024 at 06:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eagle1960 (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 06:17 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Show of Hands:

<pindrop>

....didn't think so.

Agree, but at least with respect to brakes, the failure to properly bed-in your pads isn't about premature wear (or replacement) or much less failure, but more about optimal performance. In the case of brakes, its about initial bite, consistency in brake feel, etc. Bedding helps with the performance of the brakes, not so much the longevity.

Quick Reply: Bedding-in brakes in new 992