Dead Battery Frunk - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 09:09 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

As and FYI, and a way that can open the Frunk...

Antigravity Batteries makes a wire harness kit for our MIcro-Start Jump Starter (one of our Mini Jump Starters) that connects to your battery directly, then you feed the harness to the edge of you hood so you can access it later, see the images below. So in the event that you did come back to a dead Porsche Lithium or Lead/Acid Battery you can at least get the frunk open, or just jump start the car without opening the frunk.

The difference with this approach is that the cars system is powered fully because the jump start is connected directly to the battery terminals so when you slide the Jump starter on to this Harness you actually have solid power to the entire car. So your frunk should open and also you should be able to get the key out of the ignition is needed, as well as Jump Start the Car. But keep in mind if it is a Porsche Lithium Battery you would want to open the frunk and make sure it is OUT of its sleep mode. We have not been able to get our hands on a new Porsche Lithium Battery to test to see at what voltage it wakes up, but is should wake up with a pulse from a 12v source, but we are trying to confirm that....

YOu can see the Harnes kit here... https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...s-msa10b-long/

And the Micro-Start XP-10 here.... https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...-starts/xp-10/

The following users liked this post:
Porsche0911 (05-21-2021)
Old 03-07-2022, 02:02 AM
gjarvie
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Connect a charge pack or jumper cable to the internal connector in the driver side fuse box in the footwell and hit the frunk button on the key.
This is key! It didn’t work until I used the trunk unlock on the key. The one on doorwell did not work.

I used a NOCO battery booster and it did not work. It wasn’t until I hooked it up to my car with jumper cables to driver side foot well that I could get trunk to open. (Also had a pair of brand new jumper cables shorting out because of split in line and wasn’t until I wrapped in electrical tape that it worked. That took me 12 hours to figure out). The car wouldn’t started until I hooked a booster to battery and negative terminal in trunk.

Thanks to everyone’s posts for helping me figure this out.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:46 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm quite surprised that the frunk lid cannot be opened with some sort of manual device.

One of my previous Porsches had a stainless steel pull-cord tucked under the driver's side wheel well that could be pulled to release the frunk. However, it appears that there is no such device on the 992---puzzling.

Jason
Old 03-07-2022, 11:32 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
As and FYI, and a way that can open the Frunk...

Antigravity Batteries makes a wire harness kit for our MIcro-Start Jump Starter (one of our Mini Jump Starters) that connects to your battery directly, then you feed the harness to the edge of you hood so you can access it later, see the images below. So in the event that you did come back to a dead Porsche Lithium or Lead/Acid Battery you can at least get the frunk open, or just jump start the car without opening the frunk.

The difference with this approach is that the cars system is powered fully because the jump start is connected directly to the battery terminals so when you slide the Jump starter on to this Harness you actually have solid power to the entire car. So your frunk should open and also you should be able to get the key out of the ignition is needed, as well as Jump Start the Car. But keep in mind if it is a Porsche Lithium Battery you would want to open the frunk and make sure it is OUT of its sleep mode. We have not been able to get our hands on a new Porsche Lithium Battery to test to see at what voltage it wakes up, but is should wake up with a pulse from a 12v source, but we are trying to confirm that....

YOu can see the Harnes kit here... https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...s-msa10b-long/

And the Micro-Start XP-10 here.... https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...-starts/xp-10/

I just ordered. Tired of having/reading about Porsche’s “frunk anxiety”. Also, wish you sold the 42” on Amazon, as a Prime member, I would get free shipping.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Antigravity (03-07-2022), por356 (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 12:37 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by BOPE
I'm quite surprised that the frunk lid cannot be opened with some sort of manual device.

One of my previous Porsches had a stainless steel pull-cord tucked under the driver's side wheel well that could be pulled to release the frunk. However, it appears that there is no such device on the 992---puzzling.

Jason
Add it to the list... lack of AM radio, HomeLink, shifter, non adjustable seat belt height, rear wiper with no H2O...it's all the little things that in the end make a BIG PITAs.

I already have a set of wires for my CTEK on the battery I wonder if mounting another set would in anyway interfere to a clean signal? I wonder also on the image they provide, whether it won't create yet a(nother) rattle against the windshield this time?

siberian
Old 03-08-2022, 10:46 AM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 243 Posts

I had similar problem. Connect the ground of the booster pack to the unpainted metal loop that latches the door to the body of the car , the door hinge itself is painted and may not be a good enough ground.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:56 AM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Add it to the list... lack of AM radio, HomeLink, shifter, non adjustable seat belt height, rear wiper with no H2O...it's all the little things that in the end make a BIG PITAs.

I already have a set of wires for my CTEK on the battery I wonder if mounting another set would in anyway interfere to a clean signal? I wonder also on the image they provide, whether it won't create yet a(nother) rattle against the windshield this time?

siberian
i have the NOCO wires leading from the battery posts in my 992tts to the base of the windshield, below the passenger-side wiper, with no additional mounting or fixing in place.
no problem or noise, at least up to ~120mph.

i don’t think it will be a problem to add CTEK wires - just haven’t gotten around to it.

Last edited by peterdouglas; 03-08-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:45 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 854 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
i have the NOCO wires leading from the battery posts in my 992tts to the base of the windshield, below the passenger-side wiper, with no additional mounting or fixing in place.
no problem or noise, at least up to ~120mph.

i don’t think it will be a problem to add CTEK wires - just haven’t gotten around to it.
Here my pigtail to attach a NOCO charger with the the frunk closed

Last edited by audi4t; 03-08-2022 at 11:49 AM.
peterdouglas (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 11:47 AM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by audi4t
Here my pigtail to attach a NOCO charger with the the frunk closed

same arrangement as I have 👌
audi4t (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 04:14 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

I connect an AGM-compatible battery charger/maintainer, Schumacher 3A microprocessor controlled, from Walmart, directly to the battery with the fused pigtail that came with the charger.
I leave the charger in the frunk and run the extension cord there, leaving the frunk slightly open. The interior light goes out after a while.
The 3A charger won't charge a dead battery but it's fine for maintenance.
This way the frunk is not left locked so if something does go wrong you can still get to the battery.
I don't see why you would need to consider adding a plug under the bumper or plugging inside the car. (The car is not parked outside).
The pigtail exits between the lower edge of the cowl trim/battery cover and the frunk surround. It was just long enough as supplied.

No issues so far and the charger was $7 on clearance (normally $48).

Last edited by garthg; 03-08-2022 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:57 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by rhr992c4s
I had similar problem. Connect the ground of the booster pack to the unpainted metal loop that latches the door to the body of the car , the door hinge itself is painted and may not be a good enough ground.
Yes! I found the same exact thing. I couldn't use the hinge and had to use the latch. Then the switch on the door sill worked perfectly to open the frunk.
Old 03-11-2022, 03:54 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For Cody Big dog.... oddly I got and email of a Private message but don't see it in our private messages...

You had asked...

I ordered the starter harness from Antigravity, and it’s connected directly to the battery. Can I use this harness to:

(1) Use the Porsche (for Lithium battery) tender to trickle charge the battery? If so, can you recommend an interface to connec t the harness to the tender?

We have a Diode in line on the Clampless Harnes Kit, it was designed to prevent a back charge to the Jump Starter that would be attached to the battery via our harness in the event the Customer forgot to take off the Jump Starter from the Harness. The reason is safety because the Jump Starters use a different type of Lithium Chemistry that can be over-charged by the cars system if the Jump Starter is left attached to the Car after jump starting. So this Diode would also interfere with the Charging coming from a Charger when trying to use it with a charger. So that won't really work unfortunately.

(2) Jump start a Porsache Lithium battery using the XP-10 Micro jump start? Suitable for the Porsche Lithium battery?

Well I can say we have done this with our battery and it was fine... there are a couple issues with the Porsche Battery so let me try to explain. First IF the Porsche Battery is still AWAKE and not in SLEEP PROTECTION MODE then all should be perfectly fine to jump start the vehicle since the XP-10 would only be put on to supplement the Power from the overly discharged Lithium Battery. And since is is hard wire and actually at a lower voltage than a standard Battery then the system would not see any sparks or oddities and would work fine. You would just always want to remove the Jump Starter withing 30 seconds of starting your car even though we have a diode in line on the clampless harness.

The second scenario is that your Lithium Battery is in its SLEEP/PROTECTION MODE. In that case you can attempt to use the XP-10 as a method of AWAKENING the Battery. In that case you would slip the the XP-10 onto the harness and see if the Porsche Lithium Battery Wakes up first. So in effect the XP-10s voltage should awaken the Lithium Battery first ( we have seen this work in Cheyennes Lithium Batteries) Then once you know you have awakened the Porsche Lithium Battery you can jump start the Car. The reason I say this is because the XP-10 could deliver enough energy to make it seem the Car is actually ON, but perhaps the actual Porsche Lithium Battery is still asleep... and in that case you don't want to start the car and have the Alternator going but not re-charging the Porsche Lithium Battery because it didn't wake up.... Let me know if I said that clear enough, but my point is to make sure the Porshe Lithium battery is awake first.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you don't understand what I'm saying.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:03 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Antigravity
For Cody Big dog.... oddly I got and email of a Private message but don't see it in our private messages...

You had asked...

I ordered the starter harness from Antigravity, and it’s connected directly to the battery. Can I use this harness to:

(1) Use the Porsche (for Lithium battery) tender to trickle charge the battery? If so, can you recommend an interface to connec t the harness to the tender?

We have a Diode in line on the Clampless Harnes Kit, it was designed to prevent a back charge to the Jump Starter that would be attached to the battery via our harness in the event the Customer forgot to take off the Jump Starter from the Harness. The reason is safety because the Jump Starters use a different type of Lithium Chemistry that can be over-charged by the cars system if the Jump Starter is left attached to the Car after jump starting. So this Diode would also interfere with the Charging coming from a Charger when trying to use it with a charger. So that won't really work unfortunately.

(2) Jump start a Porsache Lithium battery using the XP-10 Micro jump start? Suitable for the Porsche Lithium battery?

Well I can say we have done this with our battery and it was fine... there are a couple issues with the Porsche Battery so let me try to explain. First IF the Porsche Battery is still AWAKE and not in SLEEP PROTECTION MODE then all should be perfectly fine to jump start the vehicle since the XP-10 would only be put on to supplement the Power from the overly discharged Lithium Battery. And since is is hard wire and actually at a lower voltage than a standard Battery then the system would not see any sparks or oddities and would work fine. You would just always want to remove the Jump Starter withing 30 seconds of starting your car even though we have a diode in line on the clampless harness.

The second scenario is that your Lithium Battery is in its SLEEP/PROTECTION MODE. In that case you can attempt to use the XP-10 as a method of AWAKENING the Battery. In that case you would slip the the XP-10 onto the harness and see if the Porsche Lithium Battery Wakes up first. So in effect the XP-10s voltage should awaken the Lithium Battery first ( we have seen this work in Cheyennes Lithium Batteries) Then once you know you have awakened the Porsche Lithium Battery you can jump start the Car. The reason I say this is because the XP-10 could deliver enough energy to make it seem the Car is actually ON, but perhaps the actual Porsche Lithium Battery is still asleep... and in that case you don't want to start the car and have the Alternator going but not re-charging the Porsche Lithium Battery because it didn't wake up.... Let me know if I said that clear enough, but my point is to make sure the Porshe Lithium battery is awake first.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you don't understand what I'm saying.
Thank you very much to alert me about the diode….that would have driven me crazy trying to figure out why it didn’t work.

If I understand the Porsche Li battery, it has to drop below about 10% of capacity before it goes into “sleep mode”? Is that also your understanding? If I were to use the XP-10 to try and waken the battery, how do I know it’s now ready to be started/ or charged? Is there a light somewhere that indicates this?

Thx
Old 03-11-2022, 06:34 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Thank you very much to alert me about the diode….that would have driven me crazy trying to figure out why it didn’t work.

If I understand the Porsche Li battery, it has to drop below about 10% of capacity before it goes into “sleep mode”? Is that also your understanding? If I were to use the XP-10 to try and waken the battery, how do I know it’s now ready to be started/ or charged? Is there a light somewhere that indicates this?

Thx
Being blunt I don't know what they exactly mean by 10% of capacity... and by that I mean its hard to understand what 10% of capacity means exactly because different Battery Cell manufacturers use different voltage values as zero percent for their Lifepo4 Cells when in 4 in Series. Some use 10v others use 8v, or diffrerent ways to determine this value. So I can only say... "yes, that is what Porsche claims for their Sleep/Protection Mode to kick in.." but I don't know what they consider is 10% and the Voltage number related to that. It would be easier if they just said "The battery goes into protection at roughly 11v, or 10v or whatever" then we would have a better understanding of what that means. But I digress....

So the point is lets say the battery goes to sleep in the 10 to 11v range, then you connect the the XP-10 to your Harness... that will provide voltage to the Porshe Lithium Battery it is connected to and the Cars system, so hopefully the 11v that the XP-10 is providing at the Jump Start Port will be enough to RE-SET or AWAKEN the Porsche Lithium Battery, and it should be actually, but I have not tested this, but have heard it works on the Cayenne's Lithium Battery. So, to make sure the battery is awakened you would simply pull the XP-10 off the harness and see if the Cars System stays ON. It will stay on a short time at least if it is awakened. The BMS should have a Timer on it that keeps it awake for about 30 seconds to a minute or more IF the battery voltage is even below its Protection threshold. So if this works then you can re-attache the MICRO-START XP-10 to give the Porsche Battery some support and then start the car... and remember to remove the XP-10 once you get it started. Then drive or recharge the Battery on a Charger immediately. Also note a charger does not have sufficient Power to awaken these batteries in most cases. So you have to make sure the battery is awake then put it on the charger or the charger won't have enough OOMPH to get the battery awake by itself. I mentioned in another post that Optimate makes a Charger that does re-set most all BMSs that have gone to sleep. It has a BMS button you press to get a nice pulse of energy to awaken the BMS that goes to sleep.

Hope what I'm saying made sense.

Last edited by Antigravity; 03-11-2022 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:56 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Thanks. I’m getting a headache reading about all this, there is a very lengthy thread on the Porsche Li battery used on the 992. It’s from the British Porsche Club. The comments are all very entertaining and some of the descriptions sound a lot like what I am feeling….ie, it’s a mess, with many conflicting opinions/thoughts/recommendations. Why Porsche can’t just issue a press release confirming or denying all these different rumors, is beyond me?

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Frunk - Help!