Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connect problems: many online things not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021 | 06:14 PM
zmansbr
Intermediate

Default Connect problems: many online things not working

Yet another Porsche connect problem thread... there seems to be hundreds.

For over a week now, using the built-in sim connection, here's what I observe:
- connected to Porsche Connect app no problem
- can beep horn, lock/unlock car, locate car just fine
- can add addresses to My Destinations using online web portal and they show up in car

But...
- real time traffic data is busted - nothing (tapping "Nav > Traffic" displays "Porsche Connect not available"
- online music services just sit there "loading..." forever
- InnoDrive won't engage - something like "InnoDrive unavilable, temporary condition".

When I switch from internal SIM to using my phone's hotspot or home wifi (when in garage):
- online music starts working
- but no traffic data and no InnoDrive

I'm wondering if I have a victim of two problems 1) a bad or flakey internal SIM and 2) Porsche traffic data server is down?

I've:
- Verified that my online account is correct, has my VIN and can actually control my car
- "Purchased" all 16 service online and they show up as green online.
- Verified my Porsche ID is active in the car and is bound to my profile.
- Tried deleted Porsche ID and re-adding it and reconnecting everything.

Called Porsche support and rep says they've been trying to update the servers for over a week. Useless.
Anybody else seeing any of this?

Side note: I'm switching to CarPlay for awhile while waiting for this to fix. Really bad design that this disconnects you from BT on your phone which, if you have the recommended Porsche Connect setting using a phone, prevents Connect from activating next time you get in the car so other services are useless too.

Old 02-27-2021 | 06:44 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

My Connect has been only partly functional for weeks. I've spoken to two Porsche agents, both saying their operating blind due to working remotely and so can't fix problem.
Old 02-27-2021 | 08:06 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Mine has been working like a champ. I use an external SIM (GoogleFi).

Old 02-27-2021 | 08:25 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by detansinn
Mine has been working like a champ. I use an external SIM (GoogleFi).

Do you need a data plan to improve functionality?
Old 02-27-2021 | 08:33 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
Do you need a data plan to improve functionality?
In the United States, Vodafone is an MVNO and it appears the plan that Porsche provides for the embedded SIM is both low QoS and throughput. The PCM and Porsche Connect became dramatically more reliable when I started using my own SIM. Unfortunately, Porsche’s Connect package doesn’t provide a discount if you’re bringing your own SIM, which is annoying.
Old 02-27-2021 | 09:03 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

My external SIM is with AT&T and it works pretty well, about $20/month unlimited data.
Old 02-28-2021 | 05:13 PM
zmansbr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by detansinn
In the United States, Vodafone is an MVNO and it appears the plan that Porsche provides for the embedded SIM is both low QoS and throughput. The PCM and Porsche Connect became dramatically more reliable when I started using my own SIM. Unfortunately, Porsche’s Connect package doesn’t provide a discount if you’re bringing your own SIM, which is annoying.
even with an external Sim are you able to get traffic data? When I switch to using my phones hotspot I still didn’t get traffic data though other things started working.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021 | 05:52 PM
zmansbr
Intermediate

Also, do you use a sim card adapter? The user manual says to avoid this but can't figure out how to get a standard SIM from Google Fi.
Old 02-28-2021 | 06:17 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zmansbr
Also, do you use a sim card adapter? The user manual says to avoid this but can't figure out how to get a standard SIM from Google Fi.
Yes, I used a high quality adapter that uses tape/adhesive to hold the SIM in place. Friction fit doesn’t cut it.

SIM Card Adapter, Helect 5-in-1...
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-02-2021 | 10:50 PM
zmansbr
Intermediate

Hmm, tried using my Fi SIM in my secondary phone. Didn't work. It prompted me to pick an Access Point and listed out:
T-Mobile US 260
Metro PCS 260
Simple
TFWAP
Consumer Cellular

I picked T-Mobile and waited. Data connection didn't happen. I tried all of the other ones with a full car power off and on and none connected.
Do I need to enter some custom APN for Fi? I read about "h2g2" with no username or password.

Interestingly, in this state, "Online" radio reports "No Data Connection" and none of the Apps are available. With the internal SIM, t his doesn't happen so its like there is a connection but it can't reach the services.
Old 03-03-2021 | 01:31 AM
zmansbr
Intermediate

Found the answer somewhere else: must set the name, username and password all blank. Data connection happens (apps work and online music starts playing).

BUT - no real time traffic data! Damn they suck.
Old 03-03-2021 | 07:32 PM
zmansbr
Intermediate

Default SOLVED:

This turned out to be multiple problems.

- real time traffic data is busted - nothing (tapping "Nav > Traffic" displays "Porsche Connect not available"
Somehow, under SET > Porsche Connect > "Private mode for selected services", the *only* service that was *unchecked* was "Online nav and product improvements" (or similar - can't remember exact spelling).
When I checked this, traffic came up immediately. The Globe with two cars showed in the top banner. And I was offered a map update.
To me the phrasing of "Private mode for selected services" is backwards. It implies that by checking things, you will turn them off. Not true.
I have no idea how that one item became unchecked.

- online music services just sit there "loading..." forever
Online radio just doesn't seem to work with my embedded SIM ever. It thinks there is a connect (because there is no "No data connection" message), but just spins forever. Don't care- don't use it.

- InnoDrive won't engage - something like "InnoDrive unavilable, temporary condition".
This was due to the speed limit in Assistance Settings > InnoDrive was set to 20mph. I set it to max and it started working.

Thanks goes to:
- Porsche customer support (Brittany) who found troubleshooting tips from a previous case!
- This thread.
The following users liked this post:
mikey94025 (03-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Connect problems: many online things not working