Sponsored by:

[Janko Lind] REVIEW - Manual VS PDK Porsche 992 Carrera S | EP 133

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 05:06 PM
user 64927802
Banned

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Hormazd Dalal
If only the conditions were better. I'm surprised his own car was not spec'd with a MT. No insulating glass option in the CAB though. Oh well.
He purchased that car used that's why he doesn't have those options.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:16 PM
timjab
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
He "brake torqued" like an automatic against the dragging clutch - works but abusive.
Regarding this holy grail-like lightweight glass, I'm really not buying the sound reduction part. Normal "acoustic" glass is three layers and thicker then regular glass, Porsche was after light weight and probably also noted a minor reduction in transmitted noise so their marketing dept hyped it up to sell it on the non-GT cars!

hey WCE, im not trying to argue, i rewatched that video and at the 11:00 mark he does a launch with the rear perspective and it sure sounds like he hits the limiter like in a regular launch. I was just curious cause i saw in another thread someone launching without sport chrono in a 991.2. I have a C2 ordered without sport chrono, mostly cause i dont like the dial on the steering wheel and am leery of the complicated engine mounts. I been debating weather to add SC or not....
Old 02-27-2021, 11:28 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

After watching that, I want to go drive in snow. Fun video.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
Patriot (03-01-2021), timjab (02-28-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 11:31 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,077 Likes on 2,986 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
After watching that, I want to go drive in snow. Fun video.
I did my extended drive in the snow earlier this week on unplowed roads. It was tremendous fun. 👍
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
Dan Nagy (02-27-2021), Russian Mafia (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 11:57 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,940 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by timjab
Originally Posted by colegno
Harry is not the most empirical of reviewers, to say the least. He 'launched' the C2 which didn't have Sport Chrono.
I didn't think that was possible without SC.
I noticed that as well and was a bit confused by that. I didn’t see a clock on the dash of that car and it sure seemed like a launch control when he took off and if I recall he even said he was using launch control...
What gives?????
I assume he probably did it the old fashioned way... Left foot on brake hard, right foot on accelerator pedal partially up to whatever RPM you desire, then release brake pedal as you simultaneously floor the throttle. Voila! Launch control on any automatic car.

Didn't everybody try this in their mom and dad's automatic cars when you were young? I sure did.

Last edited by AlterZgo; 02-27-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:31 PM
timjab
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I assume he probably did it the old fashioned way... Left foot on brake hard, right foot on accelerator pedal partially up to whatever RPM you desire, then release brake pedal as you simultaneously floor the throttle. Voila! Launch control on any automatic car.

Didn't everybody try this in their mom and dad's automatic cars when you were young? I sure did.
yeah i was thinking about it like that, but then i had read that PDK doesnt use a torque converter like a regular automatic... it uses 2 computer controlled clutches to swap between driven shafts. It seems like they dont allow much slip in the clutches when gears are changed like you would have on a slipping torque converter, so i didnt think you could really get the revs to build much before taking off with pdk.
Ive only driven a pdk once so im not terribly familiar with the feel of any “slippage”
Old 02-28-2021, 06:18 PM
sweylo
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sweylo
I can take some highway readings this weekend and report back. Though my Goodyear F1s are quite noisy when cold so I may have to take more than one reading.
So I finally took some dB readings yesterday in my noise-insulated glass equipped C2S while driving 75mph on an asphalt (i.e. non-concrete) highway in 5th gear and normal driving mode, and they keep hovering between 64 and 70db with the average around 67-68 dB. I still have the Goodyear F1s slightly overinflated (34 psi front, 40 psi rear) so I'll try another reading in comfort pressure settings to see if that's even better. But overall not too bad, and nowhere near the 80 dB that was previously reported.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:59 PM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Porsches I've been in without Sports Chrono can still sort of launch control, it's just not optimized. It's not brake torque - the car is not in gear.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:26 PM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

For me, this was an invaluable video.
As I am purchasing mine to replace my DD, I am 100% convinced now to add the insulated glass.
Regretfully I will forgo the MT as I purchase a coffee nearly every day on my drive to work and knowing the holder is an issue helps.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:29 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdubl07
For me, this was an invaluable video.
As I am purchasing mine to replace my DD, I am 100% convinced now to add the insulated glass.
Regretfully I will forgo the MT as I purchase a coffee nearly every day on my drive to work and knowing the holder is an issue helps.
True, if you have a 64 ounce cup of coffee, it will be an issue. But listen, take a look at the "smokers package" and see the size of that cup. I use it for a wrist rest when driving my MT. I think that's about 16 ounces and definitely not in the way. I can't do a volume check of that cup as my car is at Soul Performance having some fun.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:43 PM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
True, if you have a 64 ounce cup of coffee, it will be an issue. But listen, take a look at the "smokers package" and see the size of that cup. I use it for a wrist rest when driving my MT. I think that's about 16 ounces and definitely not in the way. I can't do a volume check of that cup as my car is at Soul Performance having some fun.
Thanks Dan. Knowing how many times I tried to quickly get a coffee "over to" the flip out holder in my 991 and mostly failed, I think Im going to avoid!!
I'll just muck up the center console and I can just see those poorly fitted seams around the selector filling with junk.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:54 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,812 Likes on 1,486 Posts

All I can say is really?? If that's all it takes to drop the manual option then it wasn't for you anyway (spoiler - that 'issue' is overblown. It's not a perfect solution but it's not a deal breaker)
Old 03-01-2021, 03:06 PM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Originally Posted by aggie57
All I can say is really?? If that's all it takes to drop the manual option then it wasn't for you anyway (spoiler - that 'issue' is overblown. It's not a perfect solution but it's not a deal breaker)
I appreciate your opinion which as they say, is like something else we all have.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:59 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,812 Likes on 1,486 Posts

I appreciate your opinion which as they say, is like something else we all have.
For sure, opinions are just that.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:12 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 284 Posts

Really liked the color of the manual 992 he reviewed. I know its PTS - anyone remember the name of the color?

Quick Reply: [Janko Lind] REVIEW - Manual VS PDK Porsche 992 Carrera S | EP 133