[Janko Lind] REVIEW - Manual VS PDK Porsche 992 Carrera S | EP 133

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 12:33 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,790 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by colegno
Hi aggie57,
The worth of noise cancelling glass is, for me, still up for debate because sound is a very subjective experience. Janko should have provided empirical data by doing what Harry, from Harry's Garage, did in his 992 videos and showed the decibel levels, with and without the special glass, on his smart phone. That would have clinched it for me.
What did Harry conclude?
Old 02-26-2021, 12:42 PM
colegno
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Harry didn't do a comparison back to back. He compared a C2S on one day and a C2 on another and found them both to have decibel levels near 80.
He also did the same test with a TTS and found it to be much quieter but I don't remember if he gave levels for that.
Some folks suspect there might be sound insulation in the TTS that is missing from the rest of the lineup.
We also don't know what tires were on the cars, their levels of inflation or if the TTS had the LW glass.
Harry is not the most empirical of reviewers, to say the least. He 'launched' the C2 which didn't have Sport Chrono.
I didn't think that was possible without SC.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:48 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

My concern is that while there might be a benefit from the glass, the replacement/repair of the front windshield may be harder/more costly due to the glass and that it adds complications in tinting, both of which seems to potentially outweigh the advantage(s). It simply may be more trouble in the long run than it is worth.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:38 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

Even though the car has a sound symposer to pipe sound into the cabin, it seems that insulated glass and sports exhaust work against each other. I think a lot of the exhaust noise comes from sound bouncing off surfaces outside the car, and contributes to the PSE experience. I've concluded that noise insulated glass makes the most sense for those who regularly drive long distances on interstates, rather than for those who primarily drive on secondary roads.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:53 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Interestingly in the Manual provided by Porsche, Janko mentions it is the Exclusive Manufaktur interior. However, if you go into the config and select any of the 4 options - and obviously he has a black interior w/ chalk stitching and deviated centers in chalk along with the 930 leather package - none of those options have deviated centers. In fact if you choose one of those 4 Exclusive Manufaktur Leather Interiors, and then attempt to add deviated centers, it says you have to take the full standard interior and remove the Exclusive Manufaktur Leather Interior.

I actually currently have my build spec'd with the Black Leather w/ Chalk Stitching and the Chalk Centers with 930 quilting so I believe I would have the look of that interior less any Exclusive Manufaktur components that might not be immediately recognizable on that car, if it indeed did have a $15k interior.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:25 PM
colegno
Advanced

I wish someone with the LW Glass would take a decibel reading on the highway at 70 mph.
We'd get another data point to compare to Harry's 80db readings, which seems extreme.
Also, I just read that the 992 TTS comes standard with the LW Glass.

Last edited by colegno; 02-26-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:47 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

PTS Brewster Green with silver chrome window trim is beautiful spec ..
Old 02-26-2021, 02:58 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 703 Likes on 352 Posts

I have it and would not get another car without it. My car has 30% tint and I live a mile high with lots of sun. No issues so far. If you have concerns, then just don't get it. It's an option.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:40 PM
sweylo
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 32 Posts

I wish someone with the LW Glass would take a decibel reading on the highway at 70 mph.
We'd get another data point to compare to Harry's 80db readings, which seems extreme.
I can take some highway readings this weekend and report back. Though my Goodyear F1s are quite noisy when cold so I may have to take more than one reading.
The following users liked this post:
colegno (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 03:55 PM
colegno
Advanced

Harry mentioned that it was a 'grotty' day and that the first order of business for him was turning on the heated seat and cranking up the heater.
Your test should replicate those conditions quite well.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:25 PM
Blackfield
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I just checked, 992 TTS in US and UK does not come standard with LW glass, it's an option.

I am giving Harry the benefit of the doubt, if his 992 TTS tester comes with LW glass, he would have mention it as it's important info in the sound/noise comparison.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:26 PM
timjab
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Harry didn't do a comparison back to back. He compared a C2S on one day and a C2 on another and found them both to have decibel levels near 80.
He also did the same test with a TTS and found it to be much quieter but I don't remember if he gave levels for that.
Some folks suspect there might be sound insulation in the TTS that is missing from the rest of the lineup.
We also don't know what tires were on the cars, their levels of inflation or if the TTS had the LW glass.
Harry is not the most empirical of reviewers, to say the least. He 'launched' the C2 which didn't have Sport Chrono.
I didn't think that was possible without SC.
I noticed that as well and was a bit confused by that. I didn’t see a clock on the dash of that car and it sure seemed like a launch control when he took off and if I recall he even said he was using launch control...
What gives?????
Old 02-26-2021, 04:44 PM
colegno
Advanced

I stand corrected, it is an option. Good catch!
Odd that a couple of articles I came across said it came with it.
Here's the first one that caught my eye:
2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S Review: A New ... - Bloomberg.com
www.bloomberg.com&t=osx][/url]https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...or-sports-cars
Apr 7, 2020The Turbo S has been given lightweight noise-insulating glass, and it shows. The interior patterns on the leather of the seats are reminiscent of the 930 Turbos from the 1970s.

Old 02-26-2021, 04:48 PM
colegno
Advanced

I'm thinking he put his foot on the brake, gave it the gas, then let off the brake thereby thinking he was doing a SC launch.
I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that you need Sport Chrono to do what Porsche refers to as 'Launch Control'.
The following users liked this post:
timjab (02-28-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 04:51 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Exclamation

He "brake torqued" like an automatic against the dragging clutch - works but abusive.
Regarding this holy grail-like lightweight glass, I'm really not buying the sound reduction part. Normal "acoustic" glass is three layers and thicker then regular glass, Porsche was after light weight and probably also noted a minor reduction in transmitted noise so their marketing dept hyped it up to sell it on the non-GT cars!

Quick Reply: [Janko Lind] REVIEW - Manual VS PDK Porsche 992 Carrera S | EP 133