992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on my Base 911 Carrera Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021 | 07:06 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Jet black it is and puddle lights are gone.
Old 02-19-2021 | 07:31 PM
casaforte9
Racer

What is the consensus on sport design look and does it scrape even with pasm ?
Old 02-19-2021 | 07:43 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by casaforte9
What is the consensus on sport design look and does it scrape even with pasm ?
I'm a fan of the sport design, especially on the front. I have front and rear with the side skirts. Have not noted any problems with scraping at all. Also agree on the puddle lights and jet black metallic. Sure you don't want 21"/20" wheel upgrade?

Last edited by dgtarga; 02-19-2021 at 07:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Diane Garcia (02-21-2021)
Old 02-19-2021 | 07:55 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smsprague
My driveway entrance is a little steep. But maybe I don’t need the front axle lift, my Tesla Model S does not scrape.

Yeah, from this pic, you don’t need FAL. I have a SPASM (10mm lower) 4S and I don’t need FAL. Sport design front fascia and a tricky driveway? Maybe.

Spend that $2770 on something more fun.

Last edited by detansinn; 02-19-2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2021 | 09:07 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Also considering the 20"/21" Carrera Exclusive Design Wheels.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark S:
Boulder Mike (02-19-2021), sheldonlaw (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021 | 12:23 AM
3RsInCarrera
Instructor

I own a base. I like your build!

I agree with the others—I have heard bad things about the “free” black and you don’t need front axle lift.

I have sport chrono and am happy I have it. It’s cool to switch modes with the dial and also nice to have sport+ along with sport. Also, launch control is amazing. Just knowing I have it makes me happy! Plus people say it’s a must have for re-sale value. But don’t buy a car for the next buyer.
I would recommend upgraded wheels. Wheels make the car. And it’s cheaper to upgrade with Porsche than aftermarket. As weird as that sounds! Some say the ride is better with the base 19/20 vice 20/21 because the aspect ratio of the tires. But the wheel options on the 992 are all very attractive. I went RS Spyder, but love the Exclusive and others as well.
I would get the embossed crest in the seats. Cheap fun.
Mine is non-PSE. I probably should have gotten PSE. I like the way it sounds now. I would probably like it more if it was louder!

Don’t get talked out of ACC. For your purposes—long drives, you’ll love it.
I got the heated GT steering wheel and like the way it looks and feels. The “heat” is very subtle, however.

I seem to recall the lightweight glass is more an option for racing than quiet driving, but could be wrong. I’d drop that and the front end lift, upgrade the wheels, emboss the headrests and figure out a way to afford PSE.

Last edited by 3RsInCarrera; 02-20-2021 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-20-2021 | 04:15 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Looking for some opinions on my base 911 Carrera Build. Porsche Code is: PMUALVG4.

I will drive it around 5K miles a year and will not track it. Will use it for a few 4 hour drives to Vegas with my wife and a couple of 2 hours drives monthly to Phoenix. We live in north central AZ. It snows a few times a year but will just leave in the garage in those conditions.

Base 911 Carrera
As others have said, there are definitely some changes worth considering. Here are my recommendations and the updated code for it. - PM1KT9Q9

I would not get the base black but pay for a metallic. And black is boring, so consider maybe Agate Grey which goes really well with the interior you selected. But if you do go black get the metallic.
Do not get the solid sunroof. Either get the glass or none at all. I'm in the none at all camp myself.
Definitely do not get the Puddle Projectors. If you want something cool, get the illuminated door-sill guards instead or the go to Crest on Headrests.
Either drop the FAL or swap it for PSE which is almost the same price.
And drop the special glass.
I'll say this on the ACC. You are getting a sports car. A drivers car. I get that you will road trip it and so ACC might be nice. But it seems counter to the fiber of the Porsche soul.
Even with these changes I think you come out the same or a bit less. The code I gave you has the glass roof but no illuminated door sill guards.

To give you a frame of reference to where I am coming from, here is my current build.

Carrera S
Gentian Blue Metallic
Leather in Black w/ Chalk Stitching
Deviated Seat Centers in Chalk
Extended Range Tank
Heated Steering Wheel
930 Leather
Porsche Crests on Headrests
Carrera Classic Wheels
Ventilated Seats
Central Tach and Chrono Dial in White
BOSE
Manual w/ Sport Chrono (same price as PDK - as manual includes Chrono - not extra)
Sport Package - PASM Sport (aka SPASM) and Sport Exhaust
18 Way Seats
Ambient Lighting
Illuminated Aluminum Door Sills
NO SUNROOF

Last edited by 3rdpedal; 02-20-2021 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-20-2021 | 06:19 AM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. The FAL and ACC may not get used much but I figure getting them will not hurt. The wife wants a sunroof so that has to stay. I added the Porsche crest on the headrests and the painted crest on the wheels. I deleted the light weight glass. The wheels are what I am struggling with now. I keep going back to the standard as I like the look.
Old 02-20-2021 | 06:20 AM
politeperson
Racer

I keep going back and forth on the Sport Chrono. I figured it might be a fun thing to have but your right I probably will never use it other than a few times. I am not worried about resale.
You dont need to worry about the resale value if you dont have any options. like me.

I have no sports chrono, standard wheels, no "sports" exhaust etc.

The car is fantastic as Porsche intended it to be-as their flagship product in base form.

I took it into Porsche for a recall job in December at 15,000 miles and I was offed £75,000 for it.

I paid £84,500 for it. It needs 2 rear tyres @£500 a pair. Loads left on the warranty obviously

So I have had 16 months of superb motoring for £600 a month.

I am keeping it!

The only thing I would change it for would be another 911, nothing else appeals. However for the huge cost involved in increasing the spec. I know I would see very little benefit, probably quite a few disadvantages over the base!

Still fancy a manual.

The following users liked this post:
La Carrera (03-01-2021)
Old 02-20-2021 | 08:52 AM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. The FAL and ACC may not get used much but I figure getting them will not hurt. The wife wants a sunroof so that has to stay. I added the Porsche crest on the headrests and the painted crest on the wheels. I deleted the light weight glass. The wheels are what I am struggling with now. I keep going back to the standard as I like the look.
The only thing it hurts is the pocketbook (except with the ACC you get that big bug eye camera in the front) and involves trade-offs with other things you may be considering. Personally, when I drive my 911s I have very little inclination to use the cruise control, let alone ACC (which I have never put on a car because I actually dislike having the car "drive" for me - even avoid lane keep assist). If you're doing jet black and getting a sunroof, consider the glass sunroof. You're not going to notice much regarding look and even if you don't use it I find it nice to have more natural light in the cabin. From an appearance perspective the wheels are as important a factor as any. I think you mentioned the RS Spyders in an earlier post (?), but many caution about how difficult it is to keep them clean. Probably more work than some others, but if you have a good cleaner (e.g., GTechniq W6) and wheel "brush" they're very manageable and look amazing. But most of Porsche's wheel options are good and EVERYTHING about the car is personal preference - admirable to seek input but in the end, go with your own instincts.
The following 2 users liked this post by dgtarga:
Diane Garcia (02-21-2021), Overdraft (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021 | 09:11 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Porsche’s ACC is excellent. If I am stuck in slow moving stop and go traffic, I just turn it on. It’s a good choice.

The sunroof makes the cabin feel more open, even when it is closed. Listen to your wife.

Don’t let people scare you off from RS Spyder design wheels. Get them ceramic coated and the right kind of microfiber wheel brush, it will be hardly a chore. They look amazing.

IMHO, the monochromatic wheel crests look low rent. I understand that some people like how they look with certain color combinations, but the colored ones elevate things.

I really don’t think that you need FAL given your build here, but if it is giving you piece of mind, knock yourself out.
Old 02-20-2021 | 09:55 AM
cactusjack
Advanced

Delete FAL, delete SC, swap 14-ways for 4-way Sport Plus seats. They're equally as comfortable to me, maybe even a bit more, and with better bolstering. That's a lot of cash knocked off just right there.

If you will be doing hwy miles, the insulated glass DOES make a difference. It's also lighter so it's a win-win overall. ACC, idk, regular cruise works just fine, but that one is up to you (as is everything at the end of the day).

I would add roof lining in race-tex/alcantara and gloss black window surround trim.

Last edited by cactusjack; 02-20-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-20-2021 | 10:01 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

In the end options personalise the car so choose the ones you want, not what others want. Me, I start with a budget and work backwards from there. Makes you really question some of the 'must-have' options people go on about but really you won't miss.
Old 02-20-2021 | 04:51 PM
markc911

Nice build. However, for me, I selected the 20"/21" Carrera Classic Wheels. I feel the new 992 911 needs larger wheels than the base wheels. I also ordered the Sport Chrono on my base, I may never use it however I do like the clock on the dash and the mode dial on the steering wheel.
Old 02-20-2021 | 05:22 PM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Originally Posted by aggie57
In the end options personalise the car so choose the ones you want, not what others want. Me, I start with a budget and work backwards from there. Makes you really question some of the 'must-have' options people go on about but really you won't miss.
Agree!

My opinion and experience, i would consider adding back the insulated glass. Considering you reference a number of longer trips, likely over short seamed, concrete highways, you will thank having any road noise reduced. Staying with the smaller wheel (thus more rubber) will greatly assist here as well. Enjoy whatever you land on.

Quick Reply: Opinions on my Base 911 Carrera Build