Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new GT3 PDK gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021 | 04:46 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Like those guys who put on a GT3 spoiler on a regular Carrera.
Now if I ever see that it just makes me laugh.
Old 02-17-2021 | 04:48 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
Now if I ever see that it just makes me laugh.
Does this include the 992 aerokit? Personally, I love it.

The wonderful thing about having options, is that we can each build the car we want. From where I'm sitting, I'd like to have the option of the new GT3 style shifter, if I was buying PDK.

I'm buying manual, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
The following users liked this post:
Texas BA (03-03-2021)
Old 02-17-2021 | 04:49 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by surquhar
I agree the new GT3 shifter being wrong for a PDK car, especially with the leather boot. Can you imagine how many times the non - porsche people will say while they are looking through your window “That cool! You got a manual” Nope it’s not......
This right here is the kind of thing that would bother me and I could easily see it happening. I hate trying to "explain" things. "No it's not a manual, it's just looks like one....yes, I know, a manual would have been cool".

Pet peeve and a silly gripe, I know. The shaver is not the most elegant solution, but it is honest.
surquhar (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021 | 05:34 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Does this include the 992 aerokit? Personally, I love it.
Now that's opening a whole new pandora's box! Personally I wouldn't order it but no, I don't put it in the same category as putting an actual GT3 wing on a Carrera.
dhirm5 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021 | 05:36 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris3963
The 8spd PDK is never going to get a shifter like the 7spd PDK because the 8 spd box was not engineered with any of the control systems to allow changing of the gears via the centre console.

Also, it is nonsense to say that Porsche "listened" to their customers and brought back the shifter for the 992 GT3. It uses the existing 7spd PDK so was always going to have a shifter in the centre console. Indeed, it's the only way you can select Reverse, Neutral, Drive, etc. It simply does not have any of the systems engineered in to support anything else.
I doubt there are any control systems in the center console...all of the shifters these days are just electronic switches, there are no more actual linkages from the shifter to the transmission.
Old 02-17-2021 | 06:20 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malba2366
I doubt there are any control systems in the center console...all of the shifters these days are just electronic switches, there are no more actual linkages from the shifter to the transmission.
By control systems I do not mean linkages. Rather it is all the supporting systems required for support the PDK shifter including the electronics and the physical mechanisms underneath that allow you to shift the stick to side to side and forward and back, etc, None of that has been designed into the 8spd architecture and Porsche have no intention of changing it. And that’s directly from Porsche.
smiles11 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021 | 06:21 PM
PJSD
Instructor

Originally Posted by -TFK-
Hi,

I just saw the the new 992 GT3 PDK gearbox design and I just hope hope hope that Porsche would offer it for the non GT3 models

No doubt that is a cooler shifter than the shaver... Ugh. I bet they add that to the newer 992s. Jealous
Old 02-17-2021 | 06:25 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
This right here is the kind of thing that would bother me and I could easily see it happening. I hate trying to "explain" things. "No it's not a manual, it's just looks like one....yes, I know, a manual would have been cool".

Pet peeve and a silly gripe, I know. The shaver is not the most elegant solution, but it is honest.
I quite like the new PDK shifter. Besides, how different is it to the current situation? I don’t know how many times I have had people in my RS who say “oh, it’s an automatic box is it?” And then having to explain...well, it’s actually a DCT not a slush box.
Old 02-17-2021 | 06:26 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJSD
No doubt that is a cooler shifter than the shaver... Ugh. I bet they add that to the newer 992s. Jealous
As i explained above, it never be in a regular 992. Absolute zero chance.
Old 02-17-2021 | 06:29 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

I quite like the new PDK shifter. Besides, how different is it to the current situation? I don’t know how many times I have had people in my RS who say “oh, it’s an automatic box is it?” And then having to explain...well, it’s actually a DCT not a slush box.
If it was usable as a means of manually changing gears, I'm good with it. Functional and makes sense.

If it was purely a drive mode selector, like the nubbin, but fashioned as a faux manual shifter....that's cheesy.

As others have pointed out, console mounted manual shifting could be more involved (though I presume the nubbin is all electronic, so I don't know that it's unsurmountable).
Old 02-17-2021 | 08:24 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

By control systems I do not mean linkages. Rather it is all the supporting systems required for support the PDK shifter including the electronics and the physical mechanisms underneath that allow you to shift the stick to side to side and forward and back, etc, None of that has been designed into the 8spd architecture and Porsche have no intention of changing it. And that’s directly from Porsche.
Who at Porsche said it can't be done and how is what the lever does any different to pushing a button? Shift lever left = press M button. Move lever forward when in 'M' = pull left paddle. Move lever to P = move nubbin to P. etc. etc. It's just switches and wires surely.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
dhirm5 (02-17-2021), SBAD (03-02-2021)
Old 02-18-2021 | 03:08 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -TFK-
Hi,

I just saw the the new 992 GT3 PDK gearbox design and I just hope hope hope that Porsche would offer it for the non GT3 models

Would expect it to be retrofit-able. Put a short shifter in my Cayman S from a 991.1 and am sure given the familiar chassis on 992 that this would be an option for your guys who have PDK. Look like it takes the side pieces from the manual 992 for the black lacquer side pieces also. Am sure an nice independent shop will figure out how to retrofit for a fee! Much better than the braun shaver option agree....but then I got a manual!
Old 02-18-2021 | 06:19 AM
-TFK-
Intermediate

—->

And that’s directly from Porsche.
How is that? Directly from Porsche
​​​​​​​
Old 02-18-2021 | 07:44 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Porsche is an engineering powerhouse but no way they could make this shifter work with the 8-speed. Too hard.

Jk. Shifter design and minor functionality changes are easy for automatics. Manufacturers make these changes all the time on the same trans unit - buttons, scroll wheels, etc.

GT3 using this design was a conscious decision due to team preferences. Watch Chris Harris drive and you'll see the same for him. I do prefer having it as an option, but I'm also ok with shaver shifter after living with it.

Will Porsche offer it on non-GT cars? Maybe - I could see it as a $2K option. Could also see them keeping it special for the GT3.
Old 02-18-2021 | 07:48 AM
drchip
Intermediate

I don't mind the small shaver shifter, its grown on me as I use it. I think a big shifter would block the AC and Fan switches. While this is ok on manua, you use the shifter, for a PDK, a small shifter like our mini-braun, or buttons like other super cars is the way to go
drgav2005 (03-04-2021)

Quick Reply: The new GT3 PDK gear