Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that park their car over winter... do you start it up or leave it sit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 02:43 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I store in October. Car doesn't get started until March/April.

If you do start it, either let it run for an incredibly long time, 30 mins to an hour, to be sure that the car gets up to operating temperature, or go and drive it. But even better to just let it sit.
Ok, so I repeatedly see this advice and I don’t understand where this comes from.

30 minutes to operating temperature? I’m guessing you are talking about running idle. Because last week I took mine out for a drive and it had already reached 180 F in under 10 mins of driving.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:09 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Ok, so I repeatedly see this advice and I don’t understand where this comes from.

30 minutes to operating temperature? I’m guessing you are talking about running idle. Because last week I took mine out for a drive and it had already reached 180 F in under 10 mins of driving.
The reason to run it longer after hitting operating temperature is to evaporate any condensation/water that is in the oil from sitting or doing short runs in the car. 10 minutes won't do it...30 minutes probably will, 60 minutes definitely will get rid of any water.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:12 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,154 Posts

Correct. It's going to take at least 30 minutes to get up to operating temp when idling. Especially when it's 20* outside.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:18 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 786 Posts

Another issue that I believe is way overblown. Think of how many times you’ve started one of your cars just to move it a few feet, or park it somewhere, or run a 2 minute errand. Never did those things do damage to your car. There is too much fear-mongering about these things.

Now, if you simply ran your car idle in your garage for 10 minutes for no reason, and did this repeatedly, I’m guessing that it would make sense that there could be condensation issues. Even then, the worry is probably 10 times worse than any real harm to your car
A short run now and then won't hurt a vehicle, or even a bunch of short trips. The problem is that if a lot of short runs are all the car ever sees, water will accumulate. Water in your oil = not a good thing lol. I had a neighbor with a Cayman who never used his vehicle for anything but short runs of 2km or less (home to downtown office and back again). He was skeptical that there could be any significant amount of water in his oil; convinced him to do a 90-minute drive outside the city, and when we came back his oil level (which he was previously astounded never moved in 16 months of driving) dropped a full bar.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:31 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 511 Likes on 264 Posts

Trickle Charger dedicated for Lithium Battery

Mechanic installed quick connect

Dedicated lithium battery charger showing maximum charge reached and holding

Quick Reply: For those that park their car over winter... do you start it up or leave it sit?