992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hallelujah- Dash rattle found

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2023 | 03:36 PM
alexwberg
Track Day

I've got a persistent dash rattle in my 2021 992. It sounds like it could be near the steering wheel or perhaps closer to the center console. I've already had the dealership "fix" it once and am reluctant to have them tear apart the dash again in fear they'll just make things worse. I plan on letting them know about the steering cover others mention here, but maybe it is the gas tank? So frustrating. My 2015 VW GTI never rattled on these roads.
Old 12-08-2023 | 04:01 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Mine was the gas tank. I though it was the steering wheel as well. They tore out my dash for nothing. Glad its fixed. I now have a new less annoying rattle that I'll try to track down.
Old 12-08-2023 | 04:51 PM
alexwberg
Track Day

Originally Posted by 911TurboRules
Mine was the gas tank. I though it was the steering wheel as well. They tore out my dash for nothing. Glad its fixed. I now have a new less annoying rattle that I'll try to track down.
Thanks for the follow-up! I'll certainly let my dealership know. What was the fix in the end? A new or different strap?
Old 12-08-2023 | 05:11 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexwberg
I've got a persistent dash rattle in my 2021 992. It sounds like it could be near the steering wheel or perhaps closer to the center console. I've already had the dealership "fix" it once and am reluctant to have them tear apart the dash again in fear they'll just make things worse. I plan on letting them know about the steering cover others mention here, but maybe it is the gas tank? So frustrating. My 2015 VW GTI never rattled on these roads.
The Mark VII Golf/GTI was such a solid platform
Old 12-08-2023 | 10:16 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

They replaced the fuel tank strap and some padding around the tank.
Old 01-30-2024 | 05:12 AM
Track Day

hello,

had the same rattle issues, thinking the clonk/rattle came from the steering column since new 10/2023.

now the rattle is there permanently.

I have seen some say that it comes from the gas tank, to those, can you tell me if you have the large or small tank?

I don't want that my Porsche Shop dismantles the dashboard.

I will look also if the rattle is more present with full tank than empty.

hope it is related to the tank.

Old 01-30-2024 | 12:29 PM
alexwberg
Track Day

Mine has been maddeningly inconsistent. I've tried to determine if it occurs when the gas tank reaches certain levels, but there is no consistent point. Rather than have the dealership tear up my dashboard AGAIN, I've decided to live it which is SUPER irritating. I've never had a car with a rattle like this and for what I paid.... grrrr.
Old 01-30-2024 | 01:49 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

I have a 2020 with the smaller tank (they did not offer the larger tank when I placed my order)

I was the original poster and was mistaken with my first find. Then, when I finally let my tank run “mostly” empty the sound went away. If I were you I would start with a full tank, see if it makes the sound, then drive it until mostly empty and see if the sound is gone, then refill and see if it comes back. It was on the refill that I was certain it was the tank. Took me many, many months to isolate this one (again with the help of others on the forum).

When I took it to my dealer - the tech immediately recognized it (since I finally went with a full tank) and told me that older models (997?) had the same issue and all they did for mine was install additional padding around the tank straps (top and bottom I believe). It’s been 3 years since the fix and while I may or may not hear the sound from time to time - I never think about it anymore.
Old 01-30-2024 | 02:24 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

This is a "known problem" to Porsche with a specific "fix" that Porsche specifies to their dealers. Porsche usually wants an Audio File to support their "adjustment" to normal warranty policy.
My dealer has "fixed" this twice (so far) and I'm keeping copies of the Repair Orders (see attached) if/when this crops up again and I'm outside of the original warranty period. I also have copies of the Repair Orders of others who have had the same problem and that Porsche has "fixed" in the same way. IMHO Porsche will own this problem for the life of the vehicle.
Attached Images
Old 01-30-2024 | 02:37 PM
Budman1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911TurboRules
They replaced the fuel tank strap and some padding around the tank.
Our dealer performed the same fix right before winter hit here in IL. Fingers crossed the rattle issue does not crop up again. We'll see once spring hits and the 992 comes out from hibernation.
Old 01-30-2024 | 09:09 PM
Track Day

was the rattle like this sound that i found in a youtube video?

I m having this issue and cannot see if it is the tank or broken dashboard frame

Quick Reply: Hallelujah- Dash rattle found