997usa
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 271 Posts

Yup ALP with three front Rx; $1899 installed
Old 03-15-2021, 11:00 PM
Glerald
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 56 Posts

Here in Memphis LE uses lidar and jammers are illegal. I have come to the conclusion that a detector may help a little but it appears that waze and common sense will have to carry the weight.
The following users liked this post:
russbert (04-18-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 11:02 PM
Flashart
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a Radenso and ALP custom install. The cost varies on how you choose to install. I went for a completely removable back-to-factory option and custom overhead console 3D printed module for the Radenso unit from Systems Unlimited, Bellevue, WA. I have three ALP units front-mounted and 2 in the rear plus the GPS and twin radar detectors front and rear behind the rear/front bumpers. Radar detection is amazing and I have detected radar Ka-band over a mile, and seen the trooper in the median when I eventually spotted him. ALP is 100% if you install enough heads and they are correctly aligned and have the latest updates. For a 992 three in front and 2 in the rear is sufficient as the target area is so small there is little chance that a lidar could hit anywhere that the ALP heads would not detect. ALP alarm is great and as long as you JTK (kill your jamming as soon as you get hit and have reduced to the speed limit) the officer won't know you jammed his lidar as he will see a reading at the speed limit or below. ALP has great updates and keeps you ahead of the lidar anti-jamming technology that we see in newer guns. Radar detectors will detect laser, but that is not effective as you have already given a speed reading by the time you hear the tone. Basically, they just tell you that you just won a ticket :-) Radenso has other cool features such as GPS lockout, auto ALP kill, night modes, directional voice, visual arrows for front and rear, and the ability to set custom band detection based on location. I don't have X band active in WA, for example.

Last edited by Flashart; 03-20-2021 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Updated with images.
The following 4 users liked this post by Flashart:
997usa (04-18-2021), KLOC (08-07-2021), Master Deep (04-23-2021), STEMCO (02-27-2022)
Old 03-15-2021, 11:39 PM
carson2
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 86 Posts

Good info Flashart... 100% is pretty good insurance but given 12k vs. a ticket I'm thinking lawyers might be cheaper. That said, lawyers generally only can do deferred adjudication. And getting lit up roadside, having a RD generally means the fuzz isn't going to be friendly, can't imagine if they know you have a jammer (where its even legal). I guess that would be a final question - is there any way a LEO can TELL you have a jammer, is it completely stealth (once you've deactivated it post detection/excluding super-close observation of bumpers areas/etc.)?
Old 03-16-2021, 01:48 AM
Flashart
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by carson2
Good info Flashart... 100% is pretty good insurance but given 12k vs. a ticket I'm thinking lawyers might be cheaper. That said, lawyers generally only can do deferred adjudication. And getting lit up roadside, having a RD generally means the fuzz isn't going to be friendly, can't imagine if they know you have a jammer (where its even legal). I guess that would be a final question - is there any way a LEO can TELL you have a jammer, is it completely stealth (once you've deactivated it post detection/excluding super-close observation of bumpers areas/etc.)?
Completely stealth. Even if you do not Kill immediately you reduce speed, and continue jamming, the officer cannot be certain you are jamming. All the jammer does is reflect the signal back so the officer sees a blank screen with no readout. It is advisable to kill as soon as possible and allow a reading so there is not an increase in suspected jamming which could lead to legislation. The ALP units are so small that they are practically invisible. Some installers will install behind grills and claim they do not affect performance for total invisibility.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:04 PM
997usa
Burning Brakes

As a follow up to my post above, I have a 3-head ALP laser jammer installed for $1899 or so, coupled with the Uniden R7 Radar Detector; Both can easily be upgraded / removed. The ALP Laser really does not require any intervention from the driver, so you can easily use the bluetooth mobile app, which makes 'custom' install a lot easier / cheaper.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:13 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 281 Posts

Good info in this thread. I picked up a Uniden R3. My use case is a rural area where the local sheriffs use low power K band and kind of leave it on most of the time. Seems to be working well.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:24 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
Good info in this thread. I picked up a Uniden R3. My use case is a rural area where the local sheriffs use low power K band and kind of leave it on most of the time. Seems to be working well.
I have the same one and it’s a life saver. I was about to execute a launch control when the Ka band started beeping. Moments later, a Sheriff came over the hill.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:59 AM
997usa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tupper
I have the same one and it’s a life saver. I was about to execute a launch control when the Ka band started beeping. Moments later, a Sheriff came over the hill.
At those moments, you LOVE having a Radar Detector. At this point only my 911 has the laser diffuser, but all other cars have a radar detector. I nearly feel driving 'naked', if I drive a rental car without any protection
Tupper (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 09:56 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

This being my first radar detector ever, where do you guys recommend mounting it?

Concerns of it falling and damaging parts of the cabin in our very pricy vehicle are a consideration for me
I have the Uniden R3 and have installed it in both my Cayman and my 991.2 using the windshield mount.

Jason
Old 04-18-2021, 10:18 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,134 Likes on 3,006 Posts

I can't bring myself to drop two grand on a laser jamming system that is illegal in so many states given my tendency towards long road trips. If it was the dominant speed detection system used in my home state, and it was legal, I might consider it, but even then, two grand buys you enough legal defense for most speeding tickets.

I am pretty much sold on the combination of Waze and radar detector. Waze can provide a lot of insight on what's on the road ahead, but the radar detector fills in the gaps. When you are using both, you learn just how big those gaps are, because so many Waze users report what they visually see and they miss what's hidden. Of course, in Waze, I do my part and report those hidden speed traps discovered with my radar detector.

I use a Uniden R7. It's my current favorite due to it's fantastic long range and the fact that its feature set doesn't rely on a smartphone and/or Internet connectivity. The firmware updates have made it just better and better. If you're shopping for a detector, the Vortex Radar YouTube channel is fantastic from reviews to recommendations to setting up most popular detectors.

@Tupper , I wouldn't worry about it falling down. For the most part, these detectors are very light don't have sharp corners.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:10 AM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

Lots of good info. I had given up on radar detectors because of Laser and do not want to go with a jammer. Couple of questions on the V1 gen 2:

Will the V1 gen 2 help with laser traps?
If I have ACC on will that set off the laser warnings?

The R7 is out, only have MACs.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:30 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

^ Well, radar detectors can still save you (see my post above)

Just in the past 3 days I was about to do some spirited driving on my favorite roads but held back due to my Ka band beeping off the hook. Lo and behold, further ahead there are cops all over the place monitoring traffic.

It doesn't save you ALL of the time, of course (you still have to use your eyes and common sense), but I can't see any reason why not to have a radar detector when owning a car such as this one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tupper:
detansinn (04-19-2021), G650 (04-20-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 12:13 PM
Glerald
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 56 Posts

^ Well, radar detectors can still save you (see my post above)

Just in the past 3 days I was about to do some spirited driving on my favorite roads but held back due to my Ka band beeping off the hook. Lo and behold, further ahead there are cops all over the place monitoring traffic.

It doesn't save you ALL of the time, of course (you still have to use your eyes and common sense), but I can't see any reason why not to have a radar detector when owning a car such as this one.
I agree. In Memphis, LE uses laser which nothing but jammers are going to help with and those are illegal here in TN. However when I venture out to the neighboring counties to drive in the country, LE still use radar and I was saved last week by Ka screaming and hard braking. Good thing since those small towns love the speeding revenue.
detansinn (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 12:29 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 281 Posts

In town the state guys use laser. You really shouldn't be speeding in traffic anyways. I just have some fun in the country where no one is around. Between the detector and careful scanning with my eyes I'm well covered I believe.
Tupper (04-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Radar detector advice?