Sponsored by:

My one month+ review of my manual C2S

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021 | 10:25 PM
Rare9
Instructor

Default My one month+ review of my manual C2S

(More pics on page 3)

Wanted to summarize my first month (5 weeks actually) with my car, it's fun to do and maybe it will help someone with decisions.
So far I've done the following:

Took a 300+ miles roadtrip
One track day
Several mountain spirited drives
Many grocery and errand runs
These pretty much summarize my current and future use. Total miles so far, ~1900.

Upgrades:
Full PPF and Ceramic Coating
Sound upgrade (had basic sound)
Exo shield on front windshield

What I love:
  • Absolute best thing about this car: Engine and the manual transmission. The fun I can have with these two is endless. So much control, so much power to play with. Such a joy to drive, next level compared to any car I owned.
  • The steering feel, I knew it's good but I was still pleasantly surprised. Can't even tell it's electronic. Complements the above two perfectly.
  • Track day performance even with stock tires and pads. Planned to take it easy but the car didn't care being pushed and the brake pads held extremely well. Not a long term solution but was surprised just how track ready the car is. Also to me its power is on point for track.
  • Overall the PCM is a good to very good. Even the navigation. Pleasant surprise that Porsche finally figured it out.
  • The interior, pretty much everything about it is spot on, the seats (18 way), the wheel size and feel, everything is just right. Very good feeling being in this car.
  • Steering wheel heating that doesn't burn your hand, thank you! (LR Discovery take a note).
  • Auto rev match on the track - Perfect!
  • Since I have the other best-in-industry manual transmission (ND Miata), it was an interesting comparison. They are not the same but they are both perfect in their own way. I can't decide which is better. Clutch travel could be less in the 992 but it's not a big deal. On track it was easy to change gears fast.
  • Very usable on a daily basis. Groceries fit, ride is a bit harsh but acceptable and now with audio upgraded, I can just drive and listen to my books anywhere.

What I love less:
  • I'm slightly disappointed by everyday ride quality, not a huge thing, I guess I expected a little better.
  • High speed highway road noise is pretty significant, maybe tires fault, I can't tell. I care less now that sound is upgraded. Non highway , the sweet engine noise takes care of the problem.
  • Auto rev match on every day drives. I was SURE I will get used to it on every day use but I just can't. It take away the control of speed when I downshift, especially on fun mountain drives. So I just daily in Sports Mode with PSM off. Or Normal if on mostly highway.
  • Absolute worst thing about this car: The Apple Car Play implementation. Oh myyyy. I don't even know where to begin. My comparison and reference are the Android Auto I use in my Discovery and Miata. They are SO much better. Extra surprising since Porsche have Apple exclusivity. Pinch to zoom? Naa, Finding features in the apps? Where, Spotify cutting off for no reason, Audible doesn't work half of the time. Voice recognition? nope. Mini buttons to push? Check. I have to prepare the iPhone before the drive so I have what I want when I connect it. Such a disappointment. Most of the time I'm bluetoothing my Android.

Summary:
Fantastic experience, I just want to drive this car all day every day.

Picture: showing shine in the twilight after PPF and Ceramic coating got done.

Last edited by Rare9; 02-21-2021 at 02:44 PM.
The following 15 users liked this post by Rare9:
Boulder Mike (01-21-2021), brucewinter (01-21-2021), dashanin (01-22-2021), DrewTJ50 (01-21-2021), gymdent (02-21-2021), JustChris (01-22-2021), masti99 (01-22-2021), Noah Fect (01-22-2021), Russian Mafia (01-21-2021), SamD (01-22-2021), sheldonlaw (01-22-2021), smiles11 (01-21-2021), uter (01-22-2021), WhitBroo (01-22-2021), Zanotti (01-22-2021) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-21-2021 | 10:32 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Congratulations & nice write up!
The following users liked this post:
Rare9 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-21-2021 | 10:52 PM
Skarz
Instructor

Thanks for your write-up! Great car! I can't wait to get mine in about 15 days (except for the fact that it is winter here).
Rare9 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-21-2021 | 11:08 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think you're doing OK when your biggest gripe is the implementation of Apple CarPlay.
Rare9 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-21-2021 | 11:24 PM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Great write up. Can you clarify what you mean by this? Does this mean rev match prevents the car from slowing down slightly after a downshift?

Auto rev match on every day drives. I was SURE I will get used to it on every day use but I just can't. It take away the control of speed when I downshift, especially on fun mountain drives.”
Old 01-21-2021 | 11:26 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Mmm, my CarPlay works really well. Small screen, small buttons I agree with but Siri works seamlessly for me, whether in CarPlay already or another screen. But I’m with you on the rev match. They should either have a way to turn it off or at least have it off in say Sports Plus.
dribar (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021 | 12:45 AM
Biersmith
Advanced

Nice write up. Curious as to which steering wheel you have and any specific thoughts on the choice?
Thanks
Old 01-22-2021 | 01:21 AM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

Originally Posted by norberts
So I just daily in Sports Mode with PSM off. Or Normal if on mostly highway.
Are you saying that disabling PSM in Sports Mode or Sport+ disables rev match?
Old 01-22-2021 | 04:43 AM
Rare9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hormazd Dalal
Are you saying that disabling PSM in Sports Mode or Sport+ disables rev match?
That is correct.
Old 01-22-2021 | 04:47 AM
Rare9
Instructor

Originally Posted by Biersmith
Nice write up. Curious as to which steering wheel you have and any specific thoughts on the choice?
Thanks
I have the Heated GT Sport Steering Wheel. Don't have experience with the other wheel options but it's perfect. Size, feel, not too many buttons, love it.
Old 01-22-2021 | 04:48 AM
Rare9
Instructor

Originally Posted by aggie57
Mmm, my CarPlay works really well. Small screen, small buttons I agree with but Siri works seamlessly for me, whether in CarPlay already or another screen. But I’m with you on the rev match. They should either have a way to turn it off or at least have it off in say Sports Plus.
Well it's off in Sport and Sports+ with PSM off, that's the saving grace of it. I'd go mad if I couldn't turn it off at all.
Old 01-22-2021 | 04:57 AM
Rare9
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrewTJ50
Great write up. Can you clarify what you mean by this? Does this mean rev match prevents the car from slowing down slightly after a downshift?

Auto rev match on every day drives. I was SURE I will get used to it on every day use but I just can't. It take away the control of speed when I downshift, especially on fun mountain drives.”
It doesn't have that immediate slow down kick after you downshift (understandably since the revs remain high to match the new gear) so I can't use downshift to control the speed like I'm used to without auto rev match. On mountain runs with sharp turns it's fun to do instead of hitting the brake.
Old 01-22-2021 | 07:05 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Can you elaborate further on the brakes for track day? Solution is pad swap? Tire swap? Brake fluid?

Looking for 3-4 track days a year, not hard-core but would like to know what is needed

Thanks
Old 01-22-2021 | 07:24 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Well it's off in Sport and Sports+ with PSM off, that's the saving grace of it. I'd go mad if I couldn't turn it off at all.
What would be really nice is that it was off in PSM sport, which we have being we have sports chrono as standard. I'm really not a fan of switching PSM off completely as it turns off several safety related systems.

It doesn't have that immediate slow down kick after you downshift (understandably since the revs remain high to match the new gear) so I can't use downshift to control the speed like I'm used to without auto rev match. On mountain runs with sharp turns it's fun to do instead of hitting the brake.
I get that it's nice to control the downshift ourselves, that right with you on that, but here we get into the whole argument of whether to use the engine for braking or the brakes themselves. Especially in a rear engined 911, which despite it's modern development still behaves as you'd expect if pushed really hard.

Putting that aside, or perhaps because of it, the 992 also has has MSR (engine drag torque control) which limits the rate of revs dropping when the accelerator is released quickly. It's one of the systems controlled by PSM so when you switch PSM off you also switch MSR off and that's the only way I'm aware of to do that. Caveat emptor and all that but possibly this is what's causing the slow rate of rev drop rather than the rev match itself.

Last edited by aggie57; 01-22-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2021 | 08:48 AM
sweylo
Advanced

Excellent write-up, and mirrors my sentiments as well after having my manual C2S for over a month now. One thing that I noticed is that the foot pedals are somewhat bunched to the right and it's a bit tricky to modulate the throttle smoothly with wider shoes, so I purchased a pair of Puma Speedcat OG's and it's now SO much better to drive. I've never felt that I needed driving shoes in any of my previous manual transmissions vehicles (S2000, 330i, S4) but for the C2S it seems like a game changer.

Quick Reply: My one month+ review of my manual C2S