Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My one month+ review of my manual C2S

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021 | 09:21 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Couple of points:

1.) make sure you iPhone has the latest OS release. I actually think this version of wireless Apple Car Play in the 992 is the best I have seen. It has worked flawlessly, since the last few iPhone updates. I have had my 992 C4S (also a manual) since April of last year, and only a few glitches before several updates ago, and none since about june.

2.) On sweylo point on pedals/pedal position. I too found them to be a little tight - you should try Numeric Racings Aluminum pedals (see recent thread) - that may solve your issue and also make it better to heal toe. I just got my set a few days ago and will be installing this weekend, but those that have installed them speak highly of better positioning specifically of the gas pedal.
Old 01-22-2021 | 12:43 PM
4carl
Race Car

Good write up, I have a 992 MT on order that will be delivered in March. I remember driving a 991 manual and the shift linkage was really vague. Dealer had a manual 992 and a shift linkage seemed really good, big improvement . I have a GT 4 and I thought the shift linkage was as good as any car that I have ever had, probably better. The 992 is better its smoother and has a shorter through. The other thing I noticed is the clutch is a lot softer than the GT 4 . I think it’s going to be a great driver. Carl
Old 01-22-2021 | 01:47 PM
wasabi4
Instructor

Originally Posted by aggie57

I get that it's nice to control the downshift ourselves, that right with you on that, but here we get into the whole argument of whether to use the engine for braking or the brakes themselves. Especially in a rear engined 911, which despite it's modern development still behaves as you'd expect if pushed really hard.
this
being in a lower gear to use engine drag to keep speeds from increasing is one thing, but using engine drag to slow down is not a great idea, especially in a rear-engined car. Heaven forbid it's also an ill-time midcorner non-revmatched downshift.
Old 01-22-2021 | 02:06 PM
SamD
Racer

Never liked rowing through the gears to decel. Figured brakes are cheaper than clutches.
The following users liked this post:
991.1 Guy (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021 | 02:26 PM
TJ74
Advanced

I have a question about the radio. You upgraded the base with an aftermarket system I assume? I just ordered my first Porsche which is a pretty minimalist build. My only options are the Sport-Tex seats, sport package and extended range fuel tank. The options that I am debating are the Bose radio and GT Sport wheel. I mostly listen to talk radio and can’t say that I’ve ever had a bad radio in a car. Granted the radios in most of my cars are the better radio because of a package, but I have no issues with the radio in my F250 and that is not an upgrade. I am wondering what it was about the base radio you didn’t like or did you plan on putting an aftermarket system in all along so that is why you got the base? I don’t think I will find a car at a dealer with the base radio so I appreciate your thoughts on it.
Old 01-22-2021 | 02:48 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TJ74
I have a question about the radio. You upgraded the base with an aftermarket system I assume? I just ordered my first Porsche which is a pretty minimalist build. My only options are the Sport-Tex seats, sport package and extended range fuel tank. The options that I am debating are the Bose radio and GT Sport wheel. I mostly listen to talk radio and can’t say that I’ve ever had a bad radio in a car. Granted the radios in most of my cars are the better radio because of a package, but I have no issues with the radio in my F250 and that is not an upgrade. I am wondering what it was about the base radio you didn’t like or did you plan on putting an aftermarket system in all along so that is why you got the base? I don’t think I will find a car at a dealer with the base radio so I appreciate your thoughts on it.
Keep in mind no AM in any 992 except via your phone...I have the Bose and it sounds pretty good BT streaming from my Android phone...I also considered GT steering wheel but didn't like the out of place bolt scheme on it...the standard wheel isn't thin and allows better viewing of dash displays.
TJ74 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021 | 04:26 PM
Zeus Das
Instructor

Excellent write up and mirrors my driving experience too! Enjoy in good health!
Rare9 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021 | 07:50 PM
Rare9
Instructor

Originally Posted by chong0
Can you elaborate further on the brakes for track day? Solution is pad swap? Tire swap? Brake fluid?

Looking for 3-4 track days a year, not hard-core but would like to know what is needed

Thanks
All of the above
I haven't researched yet for this car but brake fluid and hybrid (street, track) brake pads are must for next timeI'll prolly go for the DS2500. These tires can hold another one or two track day, I'll see after that.
Old 01-22-2021 | 08:28 PM
TJ74
Advanced

Originally Posted by gohawks23
Keep in mind no AM in any 992 except via your phone...I have the Bose and it sounds pretty good BT streaming from my Android phone...I also considered GT steering wheel but didn't like the out of place bolt scheme on it...the standard wheel isn't thin and allows better viewing of dash displays.
Hawks23 thanks for info. I didn’t know that there was no AM. The talk radio I listen to is on XM so no AM isn’t a deal breaker. I’ll probably end up going with the Bose just because everyone seems to say that the Bose should be the base radio. I would think so too at these prices. I am surprised at how many things are nickel & dimed that I would expect to be standard for the price. Plus, if I get the base and don’t like it I will be really pissed.

As for the wheel. My dealer just got a car in with the GT sport wheel so I was able to go down and check it out. The only real difference is the little bulges for your thumbs at 9 & 3 o’clock. I thought it was also thicker than the standard wheel which it is not.
Old 01-23-2021 | 08:54 AM
txpackers
Racer

Originally Posted by SamD
Never liked rowing through the gears to decel. Figured brakes are cheaper than clutches.
I always downshift to slow down; usually just to third. I even skip gears such as 5th to 3rd or 6th to 4th depending on the gearbox. I’ve replaced a lot of brakes over the years, but only 1 clutch replaced and that was at 200,000 miles. This is all Honda and Acura experience. I’d expect Porsche to be at least the same if not better.
Old 01-25-2021 | 03:34 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TJ74
Hawks23 thanks for info. I didn’t know that there was no AM. The talk radio I listen to is on XM so no AM isn’t a deal breaker. I’ll probably end up going with the Bose just because everyone seems to say that the Bose should be the base radio. I would think so too at these prices. I am surprised at how many things are nickel & dimed that I would expect to be standard for the price. Plus, if I get the base and don’t like it I will be really pissed.

As for the wheel. My dealer just got a car in with the GT sport wheel so I was able to go down and check it out. The only real difference is the little bulges for your thumbs at 9 & 3 o’clock. I thought it was also thicker than the standard wheel which it is not.
DId you go from base to Bose? Just curious as to what you meant by upgrading the stereo. Otherwise I agree on your write up. Had mine for 60 days now and its awesome...love your color choice BTW!
Old 01-25-2021 | 01:58 PM
TheStanman
Racer

I assume you're running Comfort tire pressure? If not, that'll help your ride comfort complaint.
Rare9 (02-21-2021)
Old 01-25-2021 | 02:29 PM
Muu83
Instructor

interesting feedback on the carplay stuff, in a daily driver android auto is a must for me. It's a 6 point demerit for using a phone here in the UK while driving, and as I already have 6 points for speeding and 12 is a ban, it's now a must have.

The whole apple only thing is f**king annoying, and in the fickle world of daily drivers I'd rather buy another brand car than go back to an iPhone.
Rare9 (02-21-2021)
Old 01-25-2021 | 04:29 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by norberts
  • Absolute best thing about this car: Engine and the manual transmission. The fun I can have with these two is endless. So much control, so much power to play with. Such a joy to drive, next level compared to any car I owned.
Beautiful car! Congrats! I'm set on getting a 911 for my next car and trying to decide if I should get a manual C2S vs. PDK C2S or step up to a Turbo. I'm a die hard manual lover. Most of my cars have been manuals for my whole life even when commuting through heavy traffic for decades. With that said, it seems like there's a big gap in performance btw a 992 C2S manual vs. PDK. Did you try both before going w/ manual? Is the difference in acceleration feel as significant as the test results indicate?

Even if the manual is slower, I'm also trying to decide if the even better performance of a 992 turbo would be worth giving up the manual. Coming from a tuned M3, I'm worried that I won't be satisfied w/ the acceleration of a stock 992 S - manual or otherwise.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Old 01-25-2021 | 04:32 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Beautiful car! Congrats! I'm set on getting a 911 for my next car and trying to decide if I should get a manual C2S vs. PDK C2S or step up to a Turbo. I'm a die hard manual lover. Most of my cars have been manuals for my whole life even when commuting through heavy traffic for decades. With that said, it seems like there's a big gap in performance btw a 992 C2S manual vs. PDK. Did you try both before going w/ manual? Is the difference in acceleration feel as significant as the test results indicate?

Even if the manual is slower, I'm also trying to decide if the even better performance of a 992 turbo would be worth giving up the manual. Coming from a tuned M3, I'm worried that I won't be satisfied w/ the acceleration of a stock 992 S - manual or otherwise.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
My C2S cab with manual is a rocket sled (I came from a manual F80 M3)...and only one shift gets you to 60 and another to 90...and so much fun doing so!
AlterZgo (01-25-2021)

Quick Reply: My one month+ review of my manual C2S