Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inventory vs Allocations - Shortages? Yes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 12:54 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
I know that must upset you but take comfort in the fact that the owner of said car is not disappointed and since said car is his/hers not yours that's all that matters.
Haha I knew old Craig would jump in...and all that really matters is my manual S will beat your robo base...lol! Just having fun with ya...
The following users liked this post:
craig66 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 01:05 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,349 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
I was going to order mine with the 7 speed manual until TOWMBO reminded me (can't really believe she said that) I'm no longer 27; and would I really 5 years down the road at 75 be that interested in pressing a clutch. So for many reasons folks opt for the PDK. So if you're happy with your choice and if that's the only thing that disappoints you, as craig66 mentioned, move on.

siberian
I'm 66 years old and just took delivery three weeks ago of a 3-pedal. So far, the left knee is holding up!

The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
843Spyder (01-29-2021), JustChris (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 01:10 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Taycan sales are building momentum and now we have the introduction of the "entry" level model which likely ticks all the boxes you would want on an EV.

Porsche history leads one to believe that they have always been a close observers of supply and demand. Currently, it seems they can ride the luxury/performance EV wave with the Taycan and do quite well. The 911 supply is tight and the big sellers Macan/Cayenne are available if you want them.

In my dealer in central FL, if a sales rep is to be believed, says the cars they get on the trucks are pre-sold and new 911s don't stay in stock.

Porsche buyers are somewhat insulated from current world financial concerns and continue to buy. Inflation could be a problem, we already see inflation in 911 prices. If I were to order a 992 C4S equipped with the options that my ordered 991.2 C4S has, it would cost at least 10% more (options have changed and creating a mirror image build difficult). Porsche is on it, if they sell all the 911s they make, they will charge more, the argument could be made that the 992 is worth 10% more due to its advancements.

If you want a Porsche, eventually you have to pay the price that favors the side with leverage.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:11 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I'm 66 years old and just took delivery three weeks ago of a 3-pedal. So far, the left knee is holding up!

Great looking interior AND pedals!
The following 2 users liked this post by lucycan:
BSO (01-21-2021), rwsteelers (01-23-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 01:16 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,531 Posts

63 here, spent most of my life driving RHD manuals and climbing out of low cars through the right door. 6 months in the brain has adjusted to changing gears with the right hand and the left leg has learnt how to pull me out of the left door in one movement. Life, enjoy it while we can!
The following 5 users liked this post by aggie57:
843Spyder (01-29-2021), mdrobc1213 (01-23-2021), Overdraft (01-30-2021), Russian Mafia (01-21-2021), zunayed (01-23-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 01:18 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

I'm with you, got my three pedal in '19 (66 yoa then as well) and have 13k miles on it, every single one with a smile and a blast!
Old 01-21-2021, 02:22 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,337 Likes on 1,391 Posts

So we'll chat in 9 years then as I'm keeping this car till they cart me off (hopefully in a Porsche)

siberian
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
aggie57 (01-21-2021), JustChris (01-21-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 01:43 AM
843Spyder
Advanced

Received 82 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche444
Well, do what I did, after searching for manual 911 for 3 months, I gave up, prices are crazy, so I bought an amazingly agile manual Chalk GT4 for $120k and damn, really love this car.
Same here. Landed a Spyder allocation and now just waiting on the boat.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:49 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by gohawks23
From my experience allocation was hard to get starting in April and it took me 4 months to find one for what I wanted and the discount I wanted. Also here in Chicago dealers have plenty of 911s in stock now...mostly 5-6 each with one having around 10.
Rereading your post and maybe you are being Targa specific?
No it is kinda wierd...maybe in certain areas there are a good number of cars but was at my dealer today and my SA and i were talking about this while I re-did some registration paperwork and he looked and found a little over 200 cars in the US that were for sale (not customer spec'd cars) in the 992 model range. Now that is for all models base, S, Carrera 4, Carrera 4S, Targa's,, Cabs, and Turbo's so he said yes he can see that there may be some limitations for specific models given the overall number available nationwide!
Originally Posted by inastrangeland
My dealer got his allocations for the rest of the year in May. He had one C2S, mine, that he had already signed me up with a discount. His total 911 allocations was less than a third of the previous year. Looking on the lots here in Colorado, there are 2 MY2021 base Carerras in the whole state. It has been this way since May. I hear stories every day of people who want to order a new 992 and cannot find an allocation. The demand is there, production is not.
Yes today my SA said allocations for customer build are very tight nationwide. He currently has 3 folks lined up for any 992 allocation he gets right now but no allocations! One guy wanted a car today and came in saying he never paid MSRP on a car and couldn't believe he would be paying MSRP just to get in line with others 4-5 deep with the promise of a car maybe late in 2021 and was basically told by the Management that well he probably wasn't gonna get an allocation like as they didn't have them for those already with orders and deposits in and ALL of them for the past 3 mos have been for MSRP with some trying to pay extra to get a car sooner! Just crazy...I think there are cars out there but they are few and dealer spec'd and thus you either wait or make compromises if it isn't what you want exactly but right now he's expecting and advising customers that they'll likely have to get a MY22 if they want a car ordered given the list unless he can find one at a different dealer (car itself is easier) or an allocation (which few have and are willing to trade for now).

Originally Posted by detansinn
Now. If you want to flip it, do it now. You're going to get your best price now. Unfortunately, if you do that, you won't have a 911 anymore and will be left jealous of everyone enjoying theirs. :P
Yes he said if I wanted to sell my car someone would buy it although probably not here as 99% of their customers want PDK but my build would like be perfect for someone on the mainland and I may make a profit. Told him...THAT was a nonstarter! LOL

Rob's MY21 992 build

Originally Posted by siberian
I was going to order mine with the 7 speed manual until TOWMBO reminded me (can't really believe she said that) I'm no longer 27; and would I really 5 years down the road at 75 be that interested in pressing a clutch. So for many reasons folks opt for the PDK. So if you're happy with your choice and if that's the only thing that disappoints you, as craig66 mentioned, move on.

siberian
Ah...that's why they do total knee replacements! .

Yep...keeping mine till the wheels fall off or my left knee does! LOL
Originally Posted by BSO
Taycan sales are building momentum and now we have the introduction of the "entry" level model which likely ticks all the boxes you would want on an EV.

Porsche history leads one to believe that they have always been a close observers of supply and demand. Currently, it seems they can ride the luxury/performance EV wave with the Taycan and do quite well. The 911 supply is tight and the big sellers Macan/Cayenne are available if you want them.

In my dealer in central FL, if a sales rep is to be believed, says the cars they get on the trucks are pre-sold and new 911s don't stay in stock.

Porsche buyers are somewhat insulated from current world financial concerns and continue to buy. Inflation could be a problem, we already see inflation in 911 prices. If I were to order a 992 C4S equipped with the options that my ordered 991.2 C4S has, it would cost at least 10% more (options have changed and creating a mirror image build difficult). Porsche is on it, if they sell all the 911s they make, they will charge more, the argument could be made that the 992 is worth 10% more due to its advancements.

If you want a Porsche, eventually you have to pay the price that favors the side with leverage.
Dealer had tons of Macans and Taycans! Very few 718 Boxster and Caymans, Lots of Cayennes including 8 Cayenne Coupes. Only 2 Panameras on the lot today. ZERO 992s! Dealer expects next 992 allocation in a few weeks and already ALL are gone IF they get what they think they will and they still have a line behind them for the next ones. Porsche really is managing the production line a bit differently it seems with the 992 and new inventory additions such as Taycan. What do you guys think will happen when the Macan goes full EV?
Originally Posted by 843Spyder
Same here. Landed a Spyder allocation and now just waiting on the boat.
Hey that is NOT a bad trade off. Dealer had one when I picked my car up around Thanksgiving.....its gone now. Also have 2 Cayman GT4's...one sold today. Despite COVID19 hardships these cars are selling it seems...
Old 01-23-2021, 12:22 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,408 Likes on 1,490 Posts

@Chris3963 who is spot on with all things Porsche, cited from sources in another thread that production delays are due to slowdown in parts supply due to covid. So until the bottleneck subsides, there’s going to be limited allocations with production delays.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-...l#post17183496

The following 2 users liked this post by smiles11:
mikey94025 (01-23-2021), SBAD (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 03:50 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
@Chris3963 who is spot on with all things Porsche, cited from sources in another thread that production delays are due to slowdown in parts supply due to covid. So until the bottleneck subsides, there’s going to be limited allocations with production delays.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-...l#post17183496
This is the case across may products and industries, It’s pretty amazing actually that so any manufacturers have maintained their production during this pandemic, we’ve all seen shortages of common household goods so if a few expensive cars get pushed back a few months while so many people are suffering then I don’t think we have much to complain about.
The following 4 users liked this post by aggie57:
Helios59 (01-23-2021), mdrobc1213 (01-24-2021), Mercuriell (01-23-2021), Overdraft (01-30-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 09:47 PM
EMT1
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I’ve had 5 manual Porsches and I have a new 992 coming in, this one is PDK because of what you said
I got a little tired of shifting all the time now that I’m in my late 60’s, I already did that for 40 years
Old 01-27-2021, 11:32 AM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 352 Posts

Just did a quick check on Autotrader. Seems the C2S is in pretty short supply right now. I counted 37 new cars available. There is a chalk C2S on there for 177K. That's Turbo territory. Someone just went crazy with the option list.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:28 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by inastrangeland
Just did a quick check on Autotrader. Seems the C2S is in pretty short supply right now. I counted 37 new cars available. There is a chalk C2S on there for 177K. That's Turbo territory. Someone just went crazy with the option list.
With a shortage of cars, it makes sense a dealer would load ‘em up.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:32 PM
Lighthouserocket
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I sent a C4S build to multiple dealers in the Boston area, and heard back from all of them that they are out of allocations and are accepting wait list for a $2500 deposit. Are people finding that there are no allocations out there anywhere? What time frame do we think allocations will come back. I cant imagine being a Porsche sales rep with nothing to sell.

Quick Reply: Inventory vs Allocations - Shortages? Yes!