Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inventory vs Allocations - Shortages? Yes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 06:18 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by gohawks23
Haha I knew old Craig would jump in...and all that really matters is my manual S will beat your robo base...lol! Just having fun with ya...
actually you lose enough speed with the manual 0-60 that a base Carrera with the PDK is just as fast from 0. I had a 1970 911 T targa and had to change the clutch numerous times — over 12 years. I would be afraid to ask what A dealer charges to replace the clutch on a 991 or 992 series 911. Likely the same - need to drop the engine completely out of the car — this was several thousand dollars back in the 70’s. What does a dealer charge now? And when the clutch would fail you were stranded. The auto just gets worse and worse but rarely fails enough to stop the car dead. The Auto’s tend to last 100,000 or more before needing any work so for long term owners a lot cheaper.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:28 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa32
actually you lose enough speed with the manual 0-60 that a base Carrera with the PDK is just as fast from 0. I had a 1970 911 T targa and had to change the clutch numerous times — over 12 years. I would be afraid to ask what A dealer charges to replace the clutch on a 991 or 992 series 911. Likely the same - need to drop the engine completely out of the car — this was several thousand dollars back in the 70’s. What does a dealer charge now? And when the clutch would fail you were stranded. The auto just gets worse and worse but rarely fails enough to stop the car dead. The Auto’s tend to last 100,000 or more before needing any work so for long term owners a lot cheaper.
I was mostly kidding about speed but I'm a pretty quick shifter, lol...I go more for the overall tactile/physical/connected experience...autos just way too boring for me...and I've driven manuals my whole life and never replaced a clutch...a couple of them with 100K+ on them so not worried in the least.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:15 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Lighthouserocket
Hi, I sent a C4S build to multiple dealers in the Boston area, and heard back from all of them that they are out of allocations and are accepting wait list for a $2500 deposit. Are people finding that there are no allocations out there anywhere? What time frame do we think allocations will come back. I cant imagine being a Porsche sales rep with nothing to sell.
Oh they have something to sell..just not a whole lot of allocations sitting there ready and waiting for buyers to come in and use. Very very few left for at least 1st half of 2021 and those who've gotten on in say last 90 days seem to have been 1) lucky 2) searched a bit and 3) ready to move on the car at price the dealer was willing to sell it for right then and there (that may mean MSRP for many of them or a token discount compared to the 5-10% off posts from 991's and prior years). There are a handful of cars on the lots (my dealer has ZERO 992s on the lot and EVERY allocation thru the end of 2021 is spoken for...that's crazy) across the US but you are getting them at whatever they are spec'd. Some are pretty wild and expensive!
Originally Posted by Lighthouserocket
I was looking for a C4S, not a Turbo or Turbo S, are they also Q4? That's crazy.
Yes I hear C4S and Targa's are particularly difficult to find currently.
Originally Posted by siberian
They're still selling Macans, Cayennes... etc. But yes, C4S are hard to find so you'll have to cast your net far and wide; the world doesn't end at Boston Harbor contrary to popular belief.

Check out David Soyk @ Gaudin Porsche in LV or Greg Ashukian at Greenwich Porsche mention you got their name from a contact in Alaska

siberian
Yes great time to get a Cayenne Coupe! . Or a Taycan maybe? Any S model seems to be almost in houdini territory now a days!

Originally Posted by RD16RR
the local NY Metro area (NY, NJ, CT) there are no dealers waving the flag to come and get a 911.....searching for a dealer with something on the lot is about the best you can do, or possibly let dealers know you're looking for a cancelation

otherwise...hop on the 2022 train....
. Heard that upper NE area is getting ridiculous for allocations and in some places cars....buyers are finding take what you can find on the lot or push to 2022 is likely the better option. On another note my SA last week did find about 230 dealer avail cars on Porsche's system of various model types when I asked what HE could see and why there were so little inventory out there and allocations. So maybe folks are looking in the wrong places??

Originally Posted by smiles11
Crickets in CA. Looks like a waitlist for MY22 at this point for my friend’s 992 allocation.
I hear MY22 allocations are wide open....MY21 not so much. Sorry, glad I pushed the button last summer when I did.
Originally Posted by Porsche444
I have 911 and 911S allocation that lock in 2 weeks at msrp, so if you want one, PM me..
You are NOW someones new best friend!!
Originally Posted by coastal
Two weeks ago I called just over 12 dealers to get an allocation. One dealer was firm at $2500 off on S Cab that locks in April, July delivery, I was surprised with all the allocation issues that it was just sitting there not taken. Also I received an email offer of MSRP TTS Cab allocation, didn't reply asking what month, not interested in TTS for a cabriolet.
My build locks in March, looking forward to it.
Did you get the Carrera S cab allocation? $2500 off in this environment is a good deal to many just to get a car and commission number!
Originally Posted by Jakeman
I'm glad I saw this thread as I was noodling around finally replacing my 2007 997. -Interested in a Cabrio. Called my NJ dealer where I still care for my car. No allocations for a cabriolet, only base car. No sense of when an allocation will come. They do have a GT Silver base 2020 with 2K mi that just arrived and is being offered for $1K below sticker.
2020 base and 2K is probably a bit more than $1k below sticker....normally but then in this market if its adequately optioned they may even see that price. Just not a lot of inventory and even less allocations out there. Little did I know when I started this thread exactly how bad others were having trying to find an allocation. At least though it seems as though a handful of buyers have found a car maybe via contacts thru this and other RL forums so that is a good thing!
The following users liked this post:
Jakeman (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 06:33 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked to another dealer nearby. A nice guy who used a lot of "let me level with you" and "don't quote me" statements. He said he was told that they will get specifics about new allocations next month, in the next couple of weeks. He thinks that new allocations will be for cars that are delivered after July. Unlike the other dealership, he was more upbeat and optimistic and confident that an allocation would be available in the future. At this dealership they ask for $1000 to get on the list. Once the allocation is available, they prefer 10% down (more for an unusual option combo). No discounts on 911 allocations because there is too much demand.

They do have one unsold Heritage car, but the owner hasn't decided to sell it or keep it for himself. The salesman was good in that he does not recommend buying that car unless you have a nice display type garage (which I don't) and also plan to put as few miles on it as possible.

I can't decide to order a C2 Cabrio or C2S Cabrio. I have a 38K Mi 2007 C2 6-speed (Meteor Grey/Grey interior). We also have a dual motor stealth Tesla 3, so I now know what fast is like.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:17 PM
MFC993
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakeman
I talked to another dealer nearby. A nice guy who used a lot of "let me level with you" and "don't quote me" statements. He said he was told that they will get specifics about new allocations next month, in the next couple of weeks. He thinks that new allocations will be for cars that are delivered after July. Unlike the other dealership, he was more upbeat and optimistic and confident that an allocation would be available in the future. At this dealership they ask for $1000 to get on the list. Once the allocation is available, they prefer 10% down (more for an unusual option combo). No discounts on 911 allocations because there is too much demand.

They do have one unsold Heritage car, but the owner hasn't decided to sell it or keep it for himself. The salesman was good in that he does not recommend buying that car unless you have a nice display type garage (which I don't) and also plan to put as few miles on it as possible.

I can't decide to order a C2 Cabrio or C2S Cabrio. I have a 38K Mi 2007 C2 6-speed (Meteor Grey/Grey interior). We also have a dual motor stealth Tesla 3, so I now know what fast is like.
I have been in contact with a local SA at large dealership who said the same thing .. any current allocation orders not getting here until at least July / Aug
Includes 911's and the new Panamera's (asked about both)
The following users liked this post:
Jakeman (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 08:26 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 272 Posts

I have allocation as I said that locks in 12 days, 911 or 911S. April 30th arrival eta. Msrp if anyone wants. Pm me.

Quick Reply: Inventory vs Allocations - Shortages? Yes!