Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye for now to the 992 group

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 06:57 PM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 106 Posts

All that matters is that your family is healthy and safe. Good luck with the Taycan ownership!
The following users liked this post:
MidEngineRules (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 07:22 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,153 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Good outcome. Can you share a photo of the 992 that was totalled? I'm curious to see the hit damage that would total such an expensive car that is still relatively new..

Last edited by drcollie; 01-11-2021 at 07:25 PM.
Glerald (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 11:08 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
Thankfully the other driver didn't hit your wife's car in the door. Airbags or not, it could have been a much different outcome!
It did hit the door, and the wheel and some of the front wheel arch. Amazingly the door glass survived—window was up. The windshield was cracked all to hell, mainly because it bent the subframe which stressed it. Also the opposite side of the bonnet edge was pushed into the right side quarter panel. The panels don’t look as if there’s extensive damage until you get inside and notice that nothing is in the position it was once in. Whole rear of the car is mint. Damages were over $70k when they stopped counting. Issue is parts availability—lack thereof—and you could never trust the car’s systems again after it’s gone through that. The airbags make a mess of things too, and the roll over protection jettisoned the rear glass. Believe me for a long time I thought they’d try to fix it. I pushed for them to total it. But later I found out after contacting an attorney that when you get total air bag deployment it’s probably going to be totaled. I’ll post some pics tomorrow.

After I arrived and tended to my family, I contacted Porsche to get their advice as to where to have it taken. When the tow truck arrived, I had to call Porsche back as I subsequently learned the car can’t be placed in neutral after air bag deployment. So pulling it up on the tow truck ramp was awful watching it being dragged, fluids gushing out, etc.

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 01-11-2021 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:03 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
It did hit the door, and the wheel and some of the front wheel arch. Amazingly the door glass survived—window was up. The windshield was cracked all to hell, mainly because it bent the subframe which stressed it. Also the opposite side of the bonnet edge was pushed into the right side quarter panel. The panels don’t look as if there’s extensive damage until you get inside and notice that nothing is in the position it was once in. Whole rear of the car is mint. Damages were over $70k when they stopped counting. Issue is parts availability—lack thereof—and you could never trust the car’s systems again after it’s gone through that. The airbags make a mess of things too, and the roll over protection jettisoned the rear glass. Believe me for a long time I thought they’d try to fix it. I pushed for them to total it. But later I found out after contacting an attorney that when you get total air bag deployment it’s probably going to be totaled. I’ll post some pics tomorrow.

After I arrived and tended to my family, I contacted Porsche to get their advice as to where to have it taken. When the tow truck arrived, I had to call Porsche back as I subsequently learned the car can’t be placed in neutral after air bag deployment. So pulling it up on the tow truck ramp was awful watching it being dragged, fluids gushing out, etc.
I misunderstood your meaning of “front quadrant” which usually translates to front quarter in body shop talk which is the front fender give or take. Glad your family is OK but despite how tough the 911 might seem after an accident like this, a direct hit to the door would likely have killed the driver. But luckily in your family’s case it wasn’t a direct hit. What I don’t understand is how Porsche gets away with not having to crash test it’s cars.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:44 AM
KG-Virus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

metal can be replaced, but your family can't be.
happy to hear that everyone is okay, good luck with the taycan
Old 01-12-2021, 03:12 AM
Sorcerer 11
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 110 Posts

Sorry to hear this but glad to hear your wife and daughter are okay.
As others have said the car can be replaced and looks like it has, but people........doesn't bear thinking about!
Yes, the Taycan is pretty cool and that could be my way of going in the next few years, but anyway, all the best and a Happier new year to you and your family.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:17 PM
DPC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Same happened to me 5 years ago. T-boned on driver's side by 98 Lincoln Town car at 40ish. Hit my door and just in front and back of the door and luckily I walked out of the accident but had to use both feet to open door. Side airbags went off and my left leg and knee were sore for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, my car wasn't totaled but took 4 1/2 months to fix....I traded it in and got a new 991.2, the other was 991.1 MT Base. I had to sue insurance company for loss of use and diminished value which settled 4 years later.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:32 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

With photos

Old 01-15-2021, 06:44 PM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 54 Posts

Yikes! Glad the door held up as well as it did.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:09 AM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 397 Likes on 195 Posts

How do they not do any crash testing? That seems very un-German!

Old 01-16-2021, 06:48 AM
Carsten Doil
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rouxeny
How do they not do any crash testing? That seems very un-German!
What are you talking about?
Old 01-16-2021, 11:48 AM
Daniel L
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I misunderstood your meaning of “front quadrant” which usually translates to front quarter in body shop talk which is the front fender give or take. Glad your family is OK but despite how tough the 911 might seem after an accident like this, a direct hit to the door would likely have killed the driver. But luckily in your family’s case it wasn’t a direct hit. What I don’t understand is how Porsche gets away with not having to crash test it’s cars.
Originally Posted by Carsten Doil
What are you talking about?
Probably referring to this post.

Glad to hear the family members are ok. Any pics of the rollover protection deployment?
Old 01-16-2021, 12:00 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,153 Likes on 1,467 Posts

That's amazing that totalled the car with only 6K miles on it.

I expect that will show up on EBAY this summer with a Salvage Title and look spectacular in the photos, though it may crab a little going down the highway if you drove behind it.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:22 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
That's amazing that totalled the car with only 6K miles on it.

I expect that will show up on EBAY this summer with a Salvage Title and look spectacular in the photos, though it may crab a little going down the highway if you drove behind it.
Maybe someone will buy it and crab around with all-seasons.
drcollie (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 12:48 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
With photos

I can totally fix that. My Dad has an awesome set of tools.

all joking aside, I’m glad your wife and daughter are OK. As others have stated, cars can be replaced. People can’t. So happy for you that the outcome wasn’t worse. Enjoy the Taycan 4S. I had one as a loaner this week while my windshield was being replaced. It’s a truly awesome Porsche. I loved it.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 01-16-2021 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Bye for now to the 992 group