Sponsored by:

Vinyl Wrap over PPF

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 09:03 PM
Zanotti
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Vinyl Wrap over PPF

I have a Yellow 992 with full PPF. I would like to vinyl wrap the hood black - Just the hood, I have a black glass roof, so a glossy black wrap would match. Not a permanent change, just as a bit of a change.

So, knowing that any rock chip will show yellow through, and knowing any exposed edge will show, will the PPF stay on when I go to remove the wrap, or will I have to re PPF the hood afterwards.

Several internet sources say both yes and no, including one YouTube video where they did it.

Does anyone have an experience? Can I just go to a car wrap dealer and ask them to do it, and how hard would it be to DIY this kind of thing. One panel, but pretty contoured.

Ideas?

Old 01-10-2021, 09:14 PM
BudgetPlan1
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Zanotti
I have a Yellow 992 with full PPF. I would like to vinyl wrap the hood black - Just the hood, I have a black glass roof, so a glossy black wrap would match. Not a permanent change, just as a bit of a change.

So, knowing that any rock chip will show yellow through, and knowing any exposed edge will show, will the PPF stay on when I go to remove the wrap, or will I have to re PPF the hood afterwards.

Several internet sources say both yes and no, including one YouTube video where they did it.

Does anyone have an experience? Can I just go to a car wrap dealer and ask them to do it, and how hard would it be to DIY this kind of thing. One panel, but pretty contoured.

Ideas?
Honestly i don't know anything about PPF/Vinyl interaction but the folks who did our PPF recently released a video about vinyl that touches a bit on vinyl/PPF: https://www.esotericdetail.com/custo...-superleggera/

They are a forum vendor here, perhaps they could shed some light on the topic. I know they've also done some graphics work on a friends 991.1 GT3 that i believe was PPF'd with graphics over the PPF.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 01-10-2021 at 10:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
Esoteric_Detail (01-12-2021), Zanotti (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 09:56 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,725 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Originally Posted by Zanotti

Ideas?
XPEL makes a black PPF for this type of application — looks great.

Regardless of what product you use, I would remove the current PPF before putting any other product on top of it. You’re going to get better adhesion. Plus, if you pull it up after putting it over PPF, the PPF underneath would be much worse for wear.

As for DIY, I am totally comfortable with stripes and logos, but I leave large areas and curves to the pros. Having the hood redone professionally isn’t going to be a lot of coin.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
BudgetPlan1 (01-11-2021), Zanotti (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 10:19 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

STEK Automotive make a gloss black PPF called DYNOblack. Two advantages of using black PPF over black vinyl:
  1. Obviously black PPF offers more protection against stone chips over black vinyl.
  2. Black PPF is smooth and is hard to tell apart from bare paint unless you look really closely, unlike vinyl which usually has an orange peel texture.
I recommend replacing the existing (clear) PPF on your hood with gloss black PPF. Check it out:

Last edited by programmatore; 01-10-2021 at 10:20 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by programmatore:
BudgetPlan1 (01-11-2021), detansinn (01-10-2021), Lee8084 (01-11-2021), Zanotti (01-10-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 09:30 AM
Carrara Design
Former Vendor

Received 364 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
Honestly i don't know anything about PPF/Vinyl interaction but the folks who did our PPF recently released a video about vinyl that touches a bit on vinyl/PPF: https://www.esotericdetail.com/custo...-superleggera/

They are a forum vendor here, perhaps they could shed some light on the topic. I know they've also done some graphics work on a friends 991.1 GT3 that i believe was PPF'd with graphics over the PPF.
You are correct- we worked on this project with Esoteric and the layering was PPF with graphics on top. This is usually the recommended course as it allows you to still be able to customize the car but easily be able to return it to resale condition when you tire of the look or sell the car.

You can absolutely wrap entirely over PPF. When removing, as long as caution is take around the edges, the adhesive on the PPF is usually stronger than the vinyl wrap so it shouldn't be affected. You may have some adhesive residue you need to remove, but generally it should be okay.

If you are wrapping the hood satin or matte, vinyl would be the cheapest easiest way to do it. If you are going gloss black, the current offerings of gloss black vinyl aren't very good for large surfaces as they have a lot of orange peel and haze, so as mentioned above a "black PPF" by STEK or XPEL is a great option to achieve the look.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carrara Design:
BudgetPlan1 (01-11-2021), Esoteric_Detail (01-12-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 11:59 AM
BudgetPlan1
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrara Design
You are correct- we worked on this project with Esoteric and the layering was PPF with graphics on top.
Well done, an exquisite design. The small things like the rings on the center cap matching the calipers and blue striping can really knock things up to the next level. Beautiful!
Old 01-11-2021, 10:15 PM
msile
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts

I have done exactly that on my previous track car (vinyl over ppf). 6 years, no issues. Also the new black PPF is phenomenal. Check it out on my roof and the sides of the wing. It looks like paint.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...rmtrooper.html

Last edited by msile; 01-11-2021 at 10:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by msile:
BudgetPlan1 (01-11-2021), Zanotti (01-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Vinyl Wrap over PPF