Sponsored by:

PCM slow start-up/load time??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 09:34 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts
Default PCM slow start-up/load time??

Wonder if this is happening on anyone else’s PCM system...
Most of the time when I turn my car (MY2020 CS) on after longer off periods or during cold start, my custom PCM tiles on the home screen take a while to load. They just show spinning loading circles for at least 15 seconds I’d say, and it’s not the biggest deal, but it can get annoying. It’s not even just the tiles associated with my Bluetooth iphone like my music playlist (btw I’m not using CarPlay), but it’s also on the car’s own system tiles such as homelink and sports exhaust toggle and Navigation. Example pic below.

I thought my car might need a software update, but when I took it to the dealer for some other service, they said there are no available updates for mines.

I had a previous Canadian/euro spec 992 for a couple of weeks and it never had this problem. I don’t know which PCM version it was on.

Also on a side note, the euro 992 had a dedicated main left-window-pane button for “Devices”, made it easier to toggle CarPlay on/off. This car however does not have that menu.. ?

My US spec car is on this:

And these are the annoying loading circles:

Any thoughts on this? And thanks for the help!

Last edited by reddsektor; 01-09-2021 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:10 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 90 Posts

My PCM takes between 20-30 seconds to fully ‘load’ all the connections in my car, particularly if you use CarPlay, which is the second last connection to load for me. I’ve been told this is ‘normal’. Home link is always the last thing that loads and there are numerous threads about how people are not happy with it (time to load, reliability, etc). Just make sure you leave an extra 30 seconds every time you leave the house to make sure you can close your garage door with Homelink. :-) Some have resorted back to using a regular garage door remote or a third-party app so it can be done immediately. Fortunately, my Homelink is 100% reliable, just slow to load. I have set my diamond button on my steering wheel for Homelink for when I’m leaving the house.

On the far left you should be able to scroll down among those icons under the home icon and you should see the devices icon, no?.
The following users liked this post:
reddsektor (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 10:18 PM
reddsektor
Pro

I timed it this time and yea it’s a full 40secs for some of the tiles.

I definitely don’t have that “Devices” menu icon on mines, weird. Maybe because my car has a dedicated “Assist” menu icon button and all of it’s toggles.

I also have Homelink assigned to one of the diamond toggles on the dash.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by reddsektor; 01-09-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:53 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 754 Posts

My January 2020 build takes 30 to 40 seconds on cold start. One trick to make it quicker is (even if unlocked), initiate the fob with an unlock before getting in the car, it will cut 10 seconds or so off the time. But it still takes 20-30 seconds to fully operational on all tiles.
reddsektor (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 01:06 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

As others say this is ‘normal’. I use the key to unlock the car from inside my house before I go to the garage, that unlock initiates the PCM load. Maybe the lack of a device tab is a MY21 thing? My MY20 car has it, I’m struggling to understand how you’d manage the phone connections without it.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:13 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

It takes forever. It's absolutely infuriating. It makes Homelink less practical and the switchover from a phone call to the car takes ridiculously long.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:25 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Originally Posted by aggie57
As others say this is ‘normal’. I use the key to unlock the car from inside my house before I go to the garage, that unlock initiates the PCM load. Maybe the lack of a device tab is a MY21 thing? My MY20 car has it, I’m struggling to understand how you’d manage the phone connections without it.
My first euro spec car was also 2020, and it had the Device tab, but didn’t have any extra assistance systems except LKA, but my current US spec does have all the extra assistance options and thus has that dedicated “Assist” tab instead, so maybe that’s why?

But regardless, I can get to the Devices menu by touching the phone/data icon up on the top of the main Home Screen.

Last edited by reddsektor; 01-10-2021 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:29 AM
reddsektor
Pro

And also, as I said originally, it’s weird how the euro spec car never did this loading thing! It just loaded right away every time. Mind boggling lol
Old 01-10-2021, 01:52 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
My January 2020 build takes 30 to 40 seconds on cold start. One trick to make it quicker is (even if unlocked), initiate the fob with an unlock before getting in the car, it will cut 10 seconds or so off the time. But it still takes 20-30 seconds to fully operational on all tiles.
good to know, thanks
Old 01-10-2021, 03:08 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
My first euro spec car was also 2020, and it had the Device tab, but didn’t have any extra assistance systems except LKA, but my current US spec does have all the extra assistance options and thus has that dedicated “Assist” tab instead, so maybe that’s why?

But regardless, I can get to the Devices menu by touching the phone/data icon up on the top of the main Home Screen.
Originally Posted by reddsektor
And also, as I said originally, it’s weird how the euro spec car never did this loading thing! It just loaded right away every time. Mind boggling lol
Interesting. My car is US MY20 and has both the Assist and the Device tab. I have LCA and Surround.

Last edited by aggie57; 01-10-2021 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:06 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

OP-
Is the approach sensor turned on (settings)? When you reach for the screen, does anything appear before you touch it?

The boot time is like that for all cars with PCM 5. Perhaps you've been opening the car with the key fob beforehand, which starts the boot process. Actually that's what I do. Just when I'm about to go to the car, I open by key fob. Then it's all booted (most of the time) by the time I get in.
reddsektor (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 09:49 AM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 136 Posts

As I walk through the house on the way to the garage I push the unlock button and it's ready to go every time.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:41 AM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
OP-
Is the approach sensor turned on (settings)? When you reach for the screen, does anything appear before you touch it?

The boot time is like that for all cars with PCM 5. Perhaps you've been opening the car with the key fob beforehand, which starts the boot process. Actually that's what I do. Just when I'm about to go to the car, I open by key fob. Then it's all booted (most of the time) by the time I get in.
I gotta remember that because the 40-sec load time drives me bonkers :-)
Old 01-10-2021, 01:20 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Originally Posted by John Mclane
OP-

yes the approach setting is on.

Yea I definitely will just start using the key fob, thanks for the tip!
Old 01-10-2021, 02:41 PM
Todd C
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Originally Posted by aggie57
Originally Posted by eagle1960
As I walk through the house on the way to the garage I push the unlock button and it's ready to go every time.
This. When you grab the fob to get ready to go, unlock the car. When I do this, I rarely have to wait to use Homelink to shut the garage door. (Fortunately for me, I have to pass the garage door button on my way out to my car, so opening the garage is before I get to the car. YMMV.)
mrgraupman (10-05-2021)

Quick Reply: PCM slow start-up/load time??