Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM slow start-up/load time??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 04:44 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 90 Posts

^^^This worked! As I was opening the door from the house to the garage I hit the unlock button on the fob and as I was backing out I noticed the PCM was almost fully loaded. I didn’t know the PCM starts up when you unlock using the key fob. Good tip.
The following users liked this post:
ICU (06-02-2024)
Old 01-11-2021, 01:07 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd C
This. When you grab the fob to get ready to go, unlock the car. When I do this, I rarely have to wait to use Homelink to shut the garage door. (Fortunately for me, I have to pass the garage door button on my way out to my car, so opening the garage is before I get to the car. YMMV.)
This is good advice. And another hint -- If you do back out of your garage and the PCM is still booting, i.e., the Home screen's HomeLink square is still spinning, I find you can instead access HomeLink via Car... Control... Configure HomeLink Profiles (or something like that, the menu looks like this pic I found below). This HomeLink menu option is available fairly soon after turning the car, unlike the PCM's Home screen.

Old 01-11-2021, 01:35 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey94025
This is good advice. And another hint -- If you do back out of your garage and the PCM is still booting, i.e., the Home screen's HomeLink square is still spinning, I find you can instead access HomeLink via Car... Control... Configure HomeLink Profiles (or something like that, the menu looks like this pic I found below). This HomeLink menu option is available fairly soon after turning the car, unlike the PCM's Home screen.

or even faster, program the homelink profile to one of the programmable diamond buttons and hit it when backing out of the garage, and it will always pull up your profile, ready to send the signal
Old 01-11-2021, 02:49 AM
Lee8084
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
or even faster, program the homelink profile to one of the programmable diamond buttons and hit it when backing out of the garage, and it will always pull up your profile, ready to send the signal
unless the pcm is still booting, this is the main issue most of us experience.
In which case, the remote in the door pocket comes in handy. But I will try the unlock with the key a few seconds before getting in.

Last edited by Lee8084; 01-11-2021 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:36 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,264 Posts

I tell Alexa to open the garage door. When I drive away, Tailwind automatically closes the door. When I turn into my driveway Tailwind automatically opens the garage door. The only time I “might” use Homelink would be to close the door after I shut the engine off. But usually Alexa does that when I ask. The Homelink capability on these cars is a bad joke!
Lee8084 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 06:06 AM
Lee8084
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I tell Alexa to open the garage door. When I drive away, Tailwind automatically closes the door. When I turn into my driveway Tailwind automatically opens the garage door. The only time I “might” use Homelink would be to close the door after I shut the engine off. But usually Alexa does that when I ask. The Homelink capability on these cars is a bad joke!
Never heard of Tailwind in Europe, but looked it up and seems cool. Might put this on my list of toys.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:24 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey94025
That's true, the Homelink button is always displayed on my PCM when I actually get to the car after unlocking it from the house, but as disappears as soon as I go into reverse.....and the diamonds don't work until the PCM has fully booted. Then you need to go through this whole rigmarole to get it displayed again. So frustrating......

Last edited by aggie57; 01-11-2021 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:45 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
That's true, the Homelink button is always displayed on my PCM when I actually get to the car after unlocking it from the house, but as disappears as soon as I go into reverse.....and the diamonds don't work until the PCM has fully booted. Then you need to go through this whole rigmarole to get it displayed again. So frustrating......
I figured out the perfect solution guys. Solves all our problems. For only $25, you have instantaneous access to the garage door opener function and it's always on. An easily accessible button that avoids having to dive through the PCM...

I give up. I'm sticking this in side door pocket and problem solved. It's stupid that I have to do this on a $150k car when a Toyota can get it right, but there you go.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
aggie57 (01-11-2021), Redrider (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 11:50 AM
but did you die
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 106 Posts

I am tempted to put the damn garage remote back in the car as well. When backing out of the garage I have to sit there for 45sec - 60sec for the PCM to load and display the homelink shortcut tile to shut the damn garage. When you're running late this feels like an eternity! Failed technology integration with the Homelink.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:50 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 418 Posts

I hit the unlock button as soon as I pick up my keys before walking down the stairs and through the threshold in the basement to the garage. It usually takes me 30 seconds to get down to the garage at that point anyway. When I get in the car, it seems everything is all loaded. I have the individual button on my dash set to homelink.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 01-13-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:19 PM
patentguy
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Who locks their car in the garage? Will unlock button work if the car is already unlocked?
Old 01-11-2021, 01:29 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 90 Posts

Yes, pressing the unlock button on the key fob, whether it's locked or unlocked, will start the PCM startup process. This does shorten the wait time after startup considerably.

The other issue is that when backing out of the garage, the backup cameras need to be turned off (hit the small x button on the upper left) in order for me to see the Homelink activation pop up to close the garage door. Very poorly conceived process removing the Homelink buttons from the rear view mirror. Porsche created a problem by fixing something that had no issues.
ICU (06-02-2024)
Old 01-11-2021, 08:20 PM
ced4jets
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

This worked for me too. Tried it this morning. Car unlocked in the garage, pressed the unlock button in my kitchen before walking down stairs to the garage. The lights were on and the door handles open. When I started it everything was up and running. Thank you!!
aggie57 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 11:19 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Mb111
The other issue is that when backing out of the garage, the backup cameras need to be turned off (hit the small x button on the upper left) in order for me to see the Homelink activation pop up to close the garage door. Very poorly conceived process removing the Homelink buttons from the rear view mirror. Porsche created a problem by fixing something that had no issues.
In case you prefer this method, I put my car into Park (which hides the camera views) and then I can pull up the Homelink button via the Home screen or Car...Control menu. Still inconvenient. Hoping that a future OTA release can fix this UI issue.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:04 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I figured out the perfect solution guys. Solves all our problems. For only $25, you have instantaneous access to the garage door opener function and it's always on. An easily accessible button that avoids having to dive through the PCM...

I give up. I'm sticking this in side door pocket and problem solved. It's stupid that I have to do this on a $150k car when a Toyota can get it right, but there you go.
I wholeheartedly agree and might just do that :/

Quick Reply: PCM slow start-up/load time??