992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021 | 08:39 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Personally wouldn't bother with PDCC. Its utility in a 911 is not proven and, as been pointed out, is not even offered in the GT division.

RWS, I think, is a good option but not really needed. You can feel the rear rotate, particularly in slower, tight turns. It's subtle and by no means a make/break type of option. If I'm in a budget, it would be one of the first things I'd take off the list.

I like SPASM and would not get a car without it. I like the way it handles and I like the way it looks. Definitely stick with that one.

I've been back and forth on PSE, but have gone back to being in the PSE camp. Despite some of the annoying farts and burbles, the exhaust sounds good.

I'd reconsider standard interior. Full leather really elevates the interior. Zero regrets on that one. That said, if on a budget, I'd leave it off. I prioritize exterior looks over interior, but that's just me.

I don't mind the black stone guards, but I think you may need black wheels to really pull it off.

If you're getting a Race-Tex steering wheel, I'd consider a Race-Tex center console armrest and headliner to tie it all together.

I'm equivocal on Bose. If I'm on a budget, I'm not prioritizing Bose. So good choice there.

Aero-kit is pretty expensive for an ostensibly budget build. I don't criticize people spending money on aesthetics though. Been there, done that. If car doesn't look right, you'll never be happy.

Overall pretty cool build.
The following users liked this post:
991.1 Guy (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021 | 09:01 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rk-d
Personally wouldn't bother with PDCC. Its utility in a 911 is not proven and, as been pointed out, is not even offered in the GT division.

RWS, I think, is a good option but not really needed. You can feel the rear rotate, particularly in slower, tight turns. It's subtle and by no means a make/break type of option. If I'm in a budget, it would be one of the first things I'd take off the list.

I like SPASM and would not get a car without it. I like the way it handles and I like the way it looks. Definitely stick with that one.

I've been back and forth on PSE, but have gone back to being in the PSE camp. Despite some of the annoying farts and burbles, the exhaust sounds good.

I'd reconsider standard interior. Full leather really elevates the interior. Zero regrets on that one. That said, if on a budget, I'd leave it off. I prioritize exterior looks over interior, but that's just me.

I don't mind the black stone guards, but I think you may need black wheels to really pull it off.

If you're getting a Race-Tex steering wheel, I'd consider a Race-Tex center console armrest and headliner to tie it all together.

I'm equivocal on Bose. If I'm on a budget, I'm not prioritizing Bose. So good choice there.

Aero-kit is pretty expensive for an ostensibly budget build. I don't criticize people spending money on aesthetics though. Been there, done that. If car doesn't look right, you'll never be happy.

Overall pretty cool build.
Than you for the useful information. I'm sure we have all gone back and forth a million times on build iterations. As for the stone guards, are they just "stickers" that can be removed or replaced? I imagine the black will get pretty beat up looking quickly.
As for the AK, most people seem to dislike it as being some sort of poser. But it is a factory option. Not like this...

LOL.
Old 01-11-2021 | 09:08 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
Than you for the useful information. I'm sure we have all gone back and forth a million times on build iterations. As for the stone guards, are they just "stickers" that can be removed or replaced? I imagine the black will get pretty beat up looking quickly.
As for the AK, most people seem to dislike it as being some sort of poser. But it is a factory option. Not like this...

LOL.
AK is definitely a more extroverted look, but it's done in a classy way. Not at all tacky or gross. It definitely elevates the presence of the car.

Stone guards are like a film. They can be replaced with clear guards, but I don't think that's as easy as you might think. Getting it done at Porsche may end up costing a few hundred dollars when it's all said and done (just a guess)

Last edited by rk-d; 01-11-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2021 | 09:13 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

LOL.
Or this .

Old 01-11-2021 | 09:18 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Smile

Originally Posted by aggie57
Or this .
Now that's funny!
Old 01-11-2021 | 07:17 PM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Now that's funny!
The “Spinal Tap” AK version for those that remember.
Old 01-11-2021 | 10:00 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PAPorscheGuy
The “Spinal Tap” AK version for those that remember.
I remember a mystic land where the dew drops cry and the cats meow.
The following users liked this post:
PAPorscheGuy (01-11-2021)
Old 01-14-2021 | 01:21 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by couturegirl
Wings look really stupid on non- GT cars, like almost embarrassing. If you want a winged car, buy a GT car. Full stop. Edited to add: Especially when you're basically buying a car with no options as this wing provides no performance enhancement.
Snobbish much?

You sure dont sound like a nice person...
Old 01-14-2021 | 02:22 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by couturegirl
Wings look really stupid on non- GT cars, like almost embarrassing. If you want a winged car, buy a GT car. Full stop. Edited to add: Especially when you're basically buying a car with no options as this wing provides no performance enhancement.

sure. And 95% of the guys buying any 911 don’t ever drive their car fast enough to provide enough wind speed for any wing to have any impact on the cars performance. And then how many are going around corners at a high enough speed to create any down force as well? Very very few. In fact most of us that buy 911’s drive them a couple times a year on a mountain road and maybe use the launch control a couple times a year. So if a guy likes the look on a base Carrera then he should bolt on a wing that makes him happy. In fact - 98% of people seeing a new GT3 would say it is a Porsche perhaps but very few people know the differences in 911 models or that one 10 years old is not as valuable as a 2021 - most people can’t tell the difference. When I had a 911T back in 1970 my Mom thought it was a Volkswagen — “why did You pay so much money for just a Volkswagen” - she would ask me.

Truth is our 911’s are big boy toys —- and most of us love the way they look in the garage. I guess if you pay an additional $100,000 for a 911 with a wing from the factory it annoys you if another 911 guy buys a carbon fiber wing- larger than yours- for $2,000 and bolts it on his car.
Old 01-14-2021 | 02:42 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Snobbish much?

You sure dont sound like a nice person...
according to Porsche the wing does provide enhanced aerodynamics but I have not seen actual wind tunnel data. It’s a moot point now however since it is no longer an option. According to the dealer I’m ordering through the demand was too great 🤷🏼‍♂️

and they look super cool. I drive my car on the track more than some gt3 drivers do I’m sure. And the 992 s is faster than some GT cars of yesteryear anyway.
Old 01-14-2021 | 07:49 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

according to Porsche the wing does provide enhanced aerodynamics but I have not seen actual wind tunnel data. It’s a moot point now however since it is no longer an option. According to the dealer I’m ordering through the demand was too great 🤷🏼‍♂️

and they look super cool. I drive my car on the track more than some gt3 drivers do I’m sure. And the 992 s is faster than some GT cars of yesteryear anyway.
Moot point or not...

Im sure it helps. I also think they do look cool on some builds as well. And you are 100% right. The car is plenty fast to warrant the kit. Whoever is embarrassed for those who option for the AK on a base or S should really look into their ego problem. That's what should be embarrassing to them.

You do what makes you happy! Best of luck!

Last edited by BIGWORM; 01-14-2021 at 07:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BIGWORM:
991.1 Guy (01-14-2021), PAPorscheGuy (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021 | 09:57 PM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Moot point or not...

Im sure it helps. I also think they do look cool on some builds as well. And you are 100% right. The car is plenty fast to warrant the kit. Whoever is embarrassed for those who option for the AK on a base or S should really look into their ego problem. That's what should be embarrassing to them.

You do what makes you happy! Best of luck!
I personally have no interest in an AK, but the limitless spec options are one of the many things that make the Porsche 911 experience so amazing and personal. eg I must have an MT, but get why others must have PDK. Different strokes for different folks. Isn’t that what makes the world go round? We are all Porsche people. Most others probably can’t even tell the difference between most of the specs we chat about here

The following 2 users liked this post by PAPorscheGuy:
BIGWORM (01-15-2021), txpackers (01-15-2021)
Old 01-14-2021 | 11:27 PM
mr gregash
Banned

Good build. Well, Porsche has suspended Aerokits for non 992 turbo/turbo S cars for the remainder of ‘21 model year so that should make your choice easy on that.
Old 01-24-2021 | 07:15 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

I wish I could find one with a standard interior to compare to. All the builds I have been in are full cow
Porsche has stopped Aerokits on 992 orders thru 2022 I think so that would make that part of your spec a bit difficult. Likely supply issue and the GT3 cars coming out they may have them reserved for those production release and thus no non GT cars with the aerokit. IMHO I wouldn't get one as it does seem a bit too hard like trying to have a GT car that is not. Also for driving day to day it always seems a bit much iMHO...like folks asking why is the race car on the road?

RWS is a +/- option but I hear it does make the car pivot quicker and you can hustle around corners better with it. So if you're gonna play track junkie I'd use some saved cash for that. PDDC now worth it on a 911..maybe a Cayenne or Panamera yes a must but car should otherwise be stable and corner flat enough under load that most won't need it or miss it I've been told. On the track/HPDE PDK and Sports Chrono will make you faster. PSE is a must...improves sound and doesn't weigh that much different the stock. Ditch the black guards...can add later if you must. Clear ones are good enough and go with black wheels or satin platinum for contrast!

Full leather interior? For a basic build and track/performance oriented car...I'd pass. Seems as waste of $4k as a 100+ mph on some straight away I doubt the smoothness of the leather stitched dash will be noticed nor will you be running your hand over the leather door or center console. It a nice look when someone is looking in the car or at a cars show or taking a picture but to me...little utility other than an aesthetic often for someone else to complement on how nice the leather looks. Otherwise you just put your buts in the seats and enjoy the car. The standard leather interior is a step up from the 991 in my opinion I had so I went standard black interior and it works for me. Especially since the interior is black. I hear the guys asking and optioning full leather but it doesn't add that much...would only consider if it was something exclusive or deviated color or something like that. As for increasing resale as one thinks it does.but only to.a degree; you won't get your full $4k back..no option does that...ask ANY SA who is honest with you and they'll tell you that. It may give you a few bucks but that depends also on the overall package and set up too. Full leather on a highly options C4S or Targa will bring more than full leather on a otherwise stripped down base. Just have to think of how the car will appear and market to the buyer at resale. BUT you're planning to keep the car for 10 yrs you say so I'd not worry about how much full leather gets you on resale and how buyers like it or not in the future and ask do you really need it or not since otherwise its a mostly aesthetic option. Here's mine for an idea. Dashcam and dash, front seats, and crest embossed. Ties together nicely I think.

Thinkware Q800 Pro installed - oblique view

Manual 7 spd...is king!

Crested headrests

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 01-24-2021 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-24-2021 | 10:01 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

^^ The standard interior is much improved over the 991, no doubt. If full leather didn’t fit my budget, I wouldn’t think twice about leaving it off.

I like some of the performance oriented builds I’ve been seeing - no sunroof, standard interior, with a few perfomance options ticked.

Quick Reply: Another Build Thread