Sponsored by:

Another Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 05:58 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by butrcrm
If you intend on keeping the interior black, I did not find the leather to be worth the premium versus the standard interior. Now, if you’re going for a color exclusively available with full leather, that’s another story.
so you don’t think full leather in black is worth the expense unless you choose a contrasting color. Good to know! Thanks
Old 01-09-2021, 06:06 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drcollie
Agree on Crests on Headrests, mine has them as I bought off the floor, but I wouldn't pay $ 10 for them otherwise. Silly.

Have Full Cow now, prior car was plastic. Your call on that, I enjoy the leather. If you are doing track days, you will LOVE the PASM / Rear Wheel Steering and PDCC. Skip the leather and order those - you can thank me later
My reluctance in adding Rear Steering and PDCC is that they add complexity and potential issues down the road. I know they are great for handling but I was worried about the long term reliability of those systems. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Old 01-09-2021, 06:18 PM
butrcrm
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
so you don’t think full leather in black is worth the expense unless you choose a contrasting color. Good to know! Thanks
Full leather in black is very nice. If cost is no concern, it is a nice upgrade versus the base but I don’t think you’d feel like you’re lacking or going without in the base black interior. It still has a nice feel/experience, albeit a slightly different one. I preferred the slightly less refined feel of the base, and was $4k the better for it.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:37 PM
Gentian21
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 106 Posts

The consensus seems to be that PDCC isn't much of an advantage on a 911 short of driving at 10/10ths on a track. However, the RWS is something that you'll probably notice every time you drive hard on public roads-- and you'll definitely appreciate it if you make frequent u-turns. You buy a Porsche because you want an incredible driving experience, and I wouldn't leave anything out of your build that can contribute to that. If money is an issue, leave out the full leather. Sure, it is much nicer than the standard trim, but you don't want to compromise on the 992's handling potential.
The following users liked this post:
991.1 Guy (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 06:46 PM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by couturegirl
  • The aero kit looks stupid on non-GT cars.
  • Get the rims in satin platinum, they look ugly in chrome
Get the sport design package and add side skirts, you will even save money. Leave the big wings for GT cars.
Also agree on wheel colour. Shiny wheels dont mix well with white, need a bigger contrast.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:35 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut
Get the sport design package and add side skirts, you will even save money. Leave the big wings for GT cars.
Also agree on wheel colour. Shiny wheels dont mix well with white, need a bigger contrast.
agreed on the wheels but they’ll probably be changed out promptly so I don’t want to pay more.
The GT cars are going to have really big wings!

Last edited by 991.1 Guy; 01-09-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:40 PM
couturegirl
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
agreed on the wheels but they’ll probably be changed out promptly so I don’t want to pay more.
The GT cars are going to have really big wings!
Wings look really stupid on non- GT cars, like almost embarrassing. If you want a winged car, buy a GT car. Full stop. Edited to add: Especially when you're basically buying a car with no options as this wing provides no performance enhancement.
The following users liked this post:
Maitre_Absolut (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 12:15 AM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 397 Likes on 195 Posts

I like the aero kit and would get it on my build. Agree with getting rid of stone guards. I’d try to add full leather and RAS.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:56 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

My car doesn’t have the sports design or aero kit, I do have some things you don’t - sunroof, 18-ways, Spyder wheels etc. but in general its the same sort of approach - a simple drivers S manual in white. It came in just under $130k before discount.

The notable and common things I don’t have and don’t miss include:
  • rear wheel steer
  • PDCC
  • sports exhaust
  • leather interior
Nope, its a great car without those things.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:30 AM
KG-Virus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

1. The aero kit is subjective, don't listen to others on this and do what you like. I presonally love it and intend to buy it aftermarket since my build doesn't have it ( I went way over budget with my build so i didn't add it)
  2. Add the bose audio system, it's a must in my opinion. worth every penny.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:33 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
The consensus seems to be that PDCC isn't much of an advantage on a 911 short of driving at 10/10ths on a track. However, the RWS is something that you'll probably notice every time you drive hard on public roads-- and you'll definitely appreciate it if you make frequent u-turns. You buy a Porsche because you want an incredible driving experience, and I wouldn't leave anything out of your build that can contribute to that. If money is an issue, leave out the full leather. Sure, it is much nicer than the standard trim, but you don't want to compromise on the 992's handling potential.
PDCC is neither necessary nor helpful for the track.

Just ask the Porsche GT dept., who equips none of their cars (GT3/RS, GT2 RS, GT4) with PDCC -- neither as a standard feature nor even as an option.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:45 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,153 Likes on 1,467 Posts

I've been an Instructor for HPDE's since 1996, you know how many students I have had that can drive their Porsche at 10/10ths consistently during a session? Maybe 1%. Your average Porsche owner coming to a driving school is a 6/10ths driver who we try to get to 8/10's. A few make it do 9/10ths. When you can run 10/10 th's for 30 minutes for each lap it's time to go get your SCCA licence and a proper roll cage / 6 points and racing shell seat. Race cars are all about weight - you won't find Bose stereo or 14 way seats in them either. So we should really dismiss that 10/10ths Racer Boy concept in this discussion.

I've never had RWS or PDCC before in my cars, I was skeptical. The floor model I bought had it and I am so sold on it now. It adds comfort AND capability. Just something as mundane as wheeling around a parking lot becomes noticeably sharper and easier, and most you guys (myself included) will be doing more parking lots than tracks with your car. I'm a pretty good Autocrosser, and I can see turn in on the cones is going to be killer with this combo, I can place the car RIGHT THERE on the cones, the accuracy and precision it adds to the car is remarkable. I find most the people that say "you don't need it" have never driven a car with it.

The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
mdrobc1213 (01-24-2021), WhitBroo (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 02:51 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I find most the people that say "you don't need it" have never driven a car with it.
I’ve driven several 911’s on the track with it, including a couple of GT3’s and like you have decades of track time including lots of instructing - to chief level. But I spec’ed my current C2S without it, intentionally. To me if I miss an apex it’s not the car’s fault and it sure doesn’t detract from the enjoyment. One thing to remember also is that non-RWS cars have a slightly faster rack than RWS cars.

I do see how it would help with Autocross though if that’s your thing but if not meh.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:40 AM
FrankAT
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

I have black stone guard (not factory, from Suncoast) on my white 992 and they look awesome. I don’t understand why some people think that it takes away from the “clean” aesthetic of the car. I think they give the car an edgier/retro look that breaks the white up nicely. To round out the look I would add black model designation and Porsche script on the rear. And clear tail lights look much better on white.

While I’m personally not a huge fan of the Aerokit, I agree with the earlier poster that you should get what you want.

The base sound system is a joke for a six figure car. Get the Bose.

I would also say that the full leather really elevates the interior quality. Well worth the money in my opinion. My first 992 had the standard interior and looking at the texturized soft touch on the dash drove me crazy. Should be standard at this price point.

Last edited by FrankAT; 01-10-2021 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:37 AM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts

Love that you assume “S” and “MT” (not for budget reasons).

I understand it’s a budget build, but i would miss my:
- PSE
- Full leather
- Bose

AK is purely subjective, but I would trade it for the Bose and the PSE.

Quick Reply: Another Build Thread