Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade to GT steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 04:45 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 441 Posts

I bought several wheels from Protechparts.eu - he will custom configure with OEM parts, and make it plug and play. Really amazing quality, and quick delivery and a very fair price. I've changed a few of the wheels - @Hashbrown comments about releasing the airbag are accurate. Also, make sure to disconnect the battery and wait for 20 min or so, or you might get an airbag fault - easy to clear with PIWIS, but if you don't have PIWIS, will have to go to dealer to clear fault.

Also note that you will need a 12MM "triple square" driver, and a good torque wrench. . . you can remove the wheel bolt with a standard HEX bit, but I wouldn't recommend it.
The following users liked this post:
TK42ONE (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 05:07 PM
Ray K.
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tna3
I tried to order the GT steering wheel for my S with manual + sports chrono, but suncoast is telling me Porsche doesn't sell it for my car. Obviously it can be optioned on a new car so I'm confused. Where are people ordering their GT steering wheels?
Would you entertain a used one? Ebay listing This is nice since it's plug and play. You don't have to transfer you controls and trim. You can get the bare wheel new from a few European sellers on Ebay for $900 or so. Here is a wheel with everything including airbag assuming you want black. Ebay listing Here's another for a bit less money Ebay listing

I was thinking of doing this upgrade too (C2S manual) and ran into the same issue with Suncoast. They said their could order one for me but it would be the same price as the carbon fiber manual wheel and take a few weeks.

Last edited by Ray K.; 04-11-2024 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:10 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Get it from Protech - transferring parts is not easy and you can order the centers from him in 3 different OEM carbon fiber finished. He also configures the controller and wiring to plug and play to your car. It's worth the extra $$s to have them pre-configured and ready to bolt on!!
Old 04-11-2024, 09:39 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts

DIY is possible. Plug and Play
Old 04-13-2024, 01:07 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

You need to be careful when getting a used steering wheel off of ebay as there are many different configurations for the electronics, and unless they are exactly the same, you will run into difficulty. It's probably a better bet to get one configured to your specific VIN from Protechparts.eu, or get a bare wheel and transfer over your electronics. It's really not that difficult - removing the trim is the trickiest part, and you are bound to break a few snaps, but the trim works just fine even with a few trim snaps broken. So depending on budget, the easy-button is a pre-configured one from Protechparts complete and custom with whatever trim you want, or buy a bare wheel from ebay, protechparts, (or some other online seller) and more your trim / electronics over - a bit more of a project, but a significant savings, and pretty much the same end result assuming the trim you have on your current wheel is what you want. . . .
The following users liked this post:
Ray K. (04-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Upgrade to GT steering wheel