Sponsored by:

Upgrade to GT steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 08:23 PM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Joepster75
Thanxs again guys. I am curious to know how the ‘normal wheel lovers’ feel about the sport suspension aka spasm.
Personally, I think it's more dependent on your quality of roads and use case than personal preference. For DD on rough urban roads, I find standard PASM to be both more planted and enjoyable. For good roads or second car, S-PASM is my pick.

Currently I chose PASM but hope to live somewhere S-PASM is a good fit in the future.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:04 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

Thanxs again guys. I am curious to know how the ‘normal wheel lovers’ feel about the sport suspension aka spasm.
I didn't get SPASM or PSE, but did get Sport Chrono--I didn't want the car any stiffer or lower and I love the quad pipes vs. the ovals. Not related to my decision to get the standard steering wheel.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:33 PM
not4one
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

These are unrelated I believe. I got all the sports suspension/package stuff except the rear steering. I’m in a smooth road southern state, and it feels great to me.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:41 AM
carson2
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 86 Posts

Honestly I believe the GT steering wheel is offered by Porsche because a lot of ppl are coming to a 911 from an S/RS audi, M, AMG, or something similar, and have been conditioned to correlate thick chunky wheels with performance cars. The lighter, slightly thinner standard wheel I think offers better feels. After living with one for a while after moving on from the chunky version, I think many - if not most- would prefer them.
The following 2 users liked this post by carson2:
LC200 (01-04-2021), Moosedoc (06-24-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 09:22 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

if the GT steering wheel has a smaller diameter than the “regular’ steering wheel, then i substantially prefer the GT wheel. there are lots of twisty canyons where i live and the smaller diameter gives me more freedom of movement on my arms for hairpins, etc. if not, then nvm. just found an ad for Delaware Porsche Parts and they have them, seems to be well priced, btw.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:46 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 832 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by whojoemama
if the GT steering wheel has a smaller diameter than the “regular’ steering wheel, then i substantially prefer the GT wheel. there are lots of twisty canyons where i live and the smaller diameter gives me more freedom of movement on my arms for hairpins, etc. if not, then nvm. just found an ad for Delaware Porsche Parts and they have them, seems to be well priced, btw.
BTW..just love your cars and their names! . Comments on the GT wheel are great too!
Old 01-19-2021, 07:18 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,264 Posts

I/we went with the thicker GT Wheel. My Better Half has a bit of arthritis in her hands. Thicker steering wheels are easier for her. So much so that in her BMW, which also has a thick steering wheel, we put a rather thick steering wheel cover on it as well. Absent her situation; I prefer the look and feel of the GT Steering Wheel itself, but the Standard Steering Wheel does give a much better view of the Dashboard. So for me alone, I'd be perfectly fine with either.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:52 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I/we went with the thicker GT Wheel. My Better Half has a bit of arthritis in her hands. Thicker steering wheels are easier for her. So much so that in her BMW, which also has a thick steering wheel, we put a rather thick steering wheel cover on it as well. Absent her situation; I prefer the look and feel of the GT Steering Wheel itself, but the Standard Steering Wheel does give a much better view of the Dashboard. So for me alone, I'd be perfectly fine with either.
I upgraded mine to the alcantara GT wheel because I love the feel of the one in my GTS. Every time I get in and put my hands on it I notice how nice it is.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:01 PM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
I upgraded mine to the alcantara GT wheel because I love the feel of the one in my GTS. Every time I get in and put my hands on it I notice how nice it is.
How well has the alcantara held up over time?
Old 01-21-2021, 05:47 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewTJ50
It seems to be fine. I don't eat fried chicken while I'm driving so I don't worry about "greasy" hands that everyone talks about! My car is 5 years old and the wheel looks new. Other leather car's wheels have gotten scuffed which looks bad too. From my personal experience, the alcantara wears better than leather.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:23 AM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewTJ50
I had an alcantara wheel I really liked on an E46 ZHP but it did get a 'matted down' look after a year or so of daily driving even though I'm very careful with my cars. It was a lease so I didn't care that much but I wouldn't select as option for a more permanent car.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:48 PM
Hashbrown
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I just swapped the standard multifunction (PDK, Sport Chrono) and heated wheel for the GT multifunction heated wheel. Plug and play. Took about an hour in total, 30 frustrating minutes of which involved getting the airbag released. The process is identical to the 991.2, detailed in a few threads in the 991.2 sub-forum, with one exception: the large yellow connection is a green pull tab to release, not an orange push tab. Pull it gently - it's fragile.

This is the process: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1093...ispreloading=1

A few notes - it was not easy getting the airbag released; it doesn't just pop out with a push in the each of the release holes as other threads state. You have push at a very specific place and angle and it's by feel. Took me (more than) several tries. I used the long end of a small Allen key. Second. the new wheel is marked at the center for alignment. Triple check before re-assembling (caught myself off by one spline at first). Third, you MUST disconnect the battery before doing this. An airbag that goes off especially while your face is nearby can put you in the hospital. After you re-connect the battery you will need to reset the auto down/up for the windows - just close each window and pull up on the window control for a second. You'll heat a faint noise and then the window will have full auto function restored.

I love the change. I never liked having a thicker and sportier wheel in my Volvo V90 than I did in the 911. The outer gauges are still obscured but it's no worse than before. Feels much better, to me.

Last edited by Hashbrown; 08-16-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:20 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks for this. I'll PM you for a few questions.
Old 08-16-2023, 04:07 PM
Hashbrown
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

My pleasure. Sent a reply to your DM.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:32 PM
tna3
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

I tried to order the GT steering wheel for my S with manual + sports chrono, but suncoast is telling me Porsche doesn't sell it for my car. Obviously it can be optioned on a new car so I'm confused. Where are people ordering their GT steering wheels?

Quick Reply: Upgrade to GT steering wheel