Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Mirrors - Yellowing/Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 01:50 PM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Mirrors - Yellowing/Warranty?

These are currently in my spec.

However, now I'm thinking about the long-term ownership experience as I'm planning for at least 10 years of ownership.

Of course the car will be garaged.... however having owned some aftermarket CF parts, I've noticed that they yellow/discolor/change after a period of time.

Does anyone have any long term experience with Porsche CF components? Maybe on a 991?
Has anyone had to make a warranty claim against cosmetic changes? Have you done so after the initial warranty period?

Old 01-02-2021, 02:09 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by BlitzedTT
These are currently in my spec.

However, now I'm thinking about the long-term ownership experience as I'm planning for at least 10 years of ownership.

Of course the car will be garaged.... however having owned some aftermarket CF parts, I've noticed that they yellow/discolor/change after a period of time.

Does anyone have any long term experience with Porsche CF components? Maybe on a 991?
Has anyone had to make a warranty claim against cosmetic changes? Have you done so after the initial warranty period?
Valid concern. No can tell you how 2020 Porsche carbon is going to fare in 10 years. Most carbon seems to discolor, so odds favor yellowing. You should probably pass.
The following users liked this post:
LC200 (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 03:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,954 Likes on 5,212 Posts

Yellowing is completely normal and expected (see below per Porsche)

Just like your paint will fade and/or develop a patina after a while, so will coating on carbon fiber.

Try not to leave it out in the sun for extended periods of time.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:12 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,154 Posts

It may yellow, but I wouldn't let that stop me from spec'ing it if you want it on your car. You can always go with a company like DB carbon if it starts to yellow. They warranty their product against discoloration.

Also, while we all plan to keep our cars long term, there are plenty of things that can cause us to trade in, etc earlier than expected. Best to spec how you want and deal with that if/when it happens.
mdrobc1213 (01-03-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 03:58 PM
DrewTJ50
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
It may yellow, but I wouldn't let that stop me from spec'ing it if you want it on your car. You can always go with a company like DB carbon if it starts to yellow. They warranty their product against discoloration.

Also, while we all plan to keep our cars long term, there are plenty of things that can cause us to trade in, etc earlier than expected. Best to spec how you want and deal with that if/when it happens.
Agreed. Based on how the CF bits on a friend’s 996 Turbo have aged, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Idea: get the DB Carbon version, put the $760 you save from OEM into an index fund, and if in 10 years they haven’t aged well, the returns will buy you a new set

I personally love the CF mirror look, the question I’m trying to figure out is whether the DB mirrors are something that I can 100% DIY. I’ve heard chatter about a code being thrown if you also have LCA...the labor cost and hassle to get it reset probably isn’t worth the savings over just spec’ing them from the factory.
The following 3 users liked this post by DrewTJ50:
Kcposche25 (01-02-2021), Lee8084 (01-02-2021), mdrobc1213 (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 12:31 AM
BlitzedTT
Racer

You guys are right - and I just looked at one of my cars a bit more that doesn't really get sun unless the car is driven, and the carbon accents still look pretty good for 20K miles over 4 years.

I'll deal with the yellowing if/when it comes up.

I've just locked on this:

Last edited by BlitzedTT; 01-03-2021 at 12:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BlitzedTT:
detansinn (01-03-2021), macanspnw (01-03-2021), mdrobc1213 (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 01:26 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Most modern factory OEM carbon fiber pieces have a UV protective clear coat that retards the yellowing. If you want some additional protection, ceramic coating can provide further UV protection.

Aftermarket stuff? Different story. A lot of aftermarket pieces out there are just gel coat without any clear coat. They’ll start getting a hazy after just a couple of years of use.
BlitzedTT (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 01:45 AM
macanspnw
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BlitzedTT
You guys are right - and I just looked at one of my cars a bit more that doesn't really get sun unless the car is driven, and the carbon accents still look pretty good for 20K miles over 4 years.

I'll deal with the yellowing if/when it comes up.

I've just locked on this:
Gorgeous spec and I am considering the same. What did you go with on the back? I go back and forth between Gloss black Porsche, 911, and tail pipes and same in all silver.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:53 AM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Originally Posted by macanspnw
Gorgeous spec and I am considering the same. What did you go with on the back? I go back and forth between Gloss black Porsche, 911, and tail pipes and same in all silver.
Standard Silver Porsche and "911" only.... as well as Silver Tail Pipes.
You might not be able to tell, but I also optioned out the Gloss Black Window trim to match the gloss black lower mirror trim....

Some would say that I should probably gloss black out the emblems with black tail pipes to match.... but I still like a little shiny silver bling here and there
Old 01-03-2021, 07:11 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

I went with the CF mirrors and don't regret it. Look great! And hey since they are Porsche OEM if they yellow greatly or look horrid then can at least try to get them covered under factory warranty from Porsche. If not then as stated DB Carbon has an alternative that isn't too expensive.

However have had aftermarket parts yellow before from reputable folks...here's my AWE CF Air filter from my Audi RS5 and it yellowed after less than 12 mos and we're not talking about an area that sees a lot of UV under the hood..so can happen. AWE was awesome and sent me a brand new setup so we'll see. Sometimes its the resin and manufacturing process that does it and the CF doesn't take/cure as well or have a protective coating applied and it will happen. I had a Vorsteiner rear spoiler in CF on my last 991 that also started to weather a bit that new owner had to get corrected. It happens. Enjoy the car in the meantime I say.

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 01-03-2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:29 PM
BlitzedTT
Racer

No turning back now

I did consider DB Carbon for a minute.... but the factory install also includes gloss black paint for the lower mirror as well as the installation cost.

DB Carbon retails at about $1000 after shipping.

I've ordered the Premium Package (Surround View/LCA/Folding Mirrors) - I'd rather not mess with a self/aftermarket install even if it could be easy.

So I'm good with the "premium" uplift to go factory this time around.

detansinn (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 01:44 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 768 Likes on 404 Posts

We haven’t noticed the outside cf mirrors yellowing in any 991 we’ve worked on thus far

the technology of the resin and clear should be better in the current generations vs the 996 generation for example

i remember the 996 cf yellowing with a very short span of time...the dash accents would delaminate, interior cf would also yellow

if it’s just mirrors, you should be fine, and if they yellow, just get another set years down the road
BlitzedTT (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 01:52 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 419 Posts

There are protectant products that would hopefully eliminate or at least reduce fading and yellowing of carbon components. I live at an altitude where the sun is about 30% stronger and more damaging than at sea level so you have to protect almost everything that can be protected. I’ve had outdoor furniture that stayed fresh looking for years in San Diego but started having issues here in less than a year.

The product below is the best I’ve found. It’s very long lasting and has done the job on my boats, outdoor furniture and vinyl hot tub cover. I’ve used it in car interiors as well. I’ll test it out on a hopefully mostly hidden carbon piece when I get the car.

https://www.303products.com.au/product-range/automotive

Last edited by Russian Mafia; 01-03-2021 at 01:56 PM.
BlitzedTT (01-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Mirrors - Yellowing/Warranty?