Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Covid Car Part Deux: delay 992 order to minimize pandemic related QC issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 11:57 AM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Similar here, 05/20 build and my car started production before the shutdown and completed after. So it sat 1/2 built for several weeks. I did have one sunroof rattle but that was quickly fixed.
Half built going into a shut down is indeed a worst-case scenario and it came out roses for you, very reassuring and thank you.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:03 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Originally Posted by drcollie
HA! If you watch the 1 hour, 52 minute production video of a Porsche 992 being assembled (I know, boring) its 90% done by robotics on the frame and structure, which last time I checked were not subject to Covid. The only real handwork in the car is doing leather upholstery and building the engines.

Your point is very well taken. The problems described with early production 992's may not have even been related to Covid, but the fact that it's an entirely new model early in production. I agree, robots are good! hand built sounds good on paper, but for where it counts, like leather, it still is.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:08 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You could wait and then get COVID yourself in the interim and die before you get your car.

Delayed gratification is gratification denied.
Ipse, you are the epitome of pithiness. Everyone's point is well taken, I get it, and I will get off my ****, and send out some offers.
I've given myself five months to make changes in the build and I'm confident I won't have any regrets.
I'm taking a bit of a risk with the color, but since the designers have gone retro with the dashboard and exterior styling, I'm going with a retro 911 color: aubergine.
When it arrives, I will post photos.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:09 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Originally Posted by aintufunny
With the decision to get it made, just get it sooner rather than later.

Generally, we make sacrifices and compromises to get ahead; once ahead, you finally get to do something nice for yourself (usually later than normal because we are still in sacrifice-mode).

You can wait for covid factory impact to pass, or August off to pass, or try and time it for spring, or 2nd year model, etc etc.

Just get it (sooner preferably), enjoy it, put miles on it (and put smiles on yourself).
Miles and smiles... I like that aintufunny.
I would have expected that comment to come from Smiles11!
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 12:13 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Another vote for ASAP. QC and Covid are unrelated in this case. The early teething problems were related to the newness of the 992. Any consumer product this complicated will be more subject to flaws after a major redesign. Problems not apparent in testing surface after the product is released for widespread use. True for cars and anything else more complicated than a spoon.
True for cars, even more true for new pharmaceuticals. The list is long of drugs taken off the market due to excess deaths (Vioxx, Hismanal, Darvocet, Fen-Phen etc)
Old 01-02-2021, 12:16 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

GIGO?! I just learned something, looked it up, garbage in gospel out on the Internet. Thank you Russian mafia.
Frankly I'm happier with the pandemic working from home and not dealing with traffic. My work is actually more efficient and spending more time with my wife.
I empathize with all those whose life the pandemic is devastating, amplified to some extent by politics.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:19 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Mine was produced just after the plant started up in July. No squeaks, no rattles, but the car was delivered with a bad install of the windshield seal. That had to be replaced and involved dropping the headliner and it turned into a three day ordeal. Also, I noticed that rubber seals around the doors were incorrectly fitted - some tucked under, etc., and I just had to pull them to make them lay flat. I had none of these issues on my two prior Porsches and wonder if they pulled people from the final quality check or they just wanted to push them out the door.
Dan, experiences like yours are what got my attention in the first place.
I would think however that second time around with this pandemic spike they will do better and even if I got an allocation immediately, By the time the build occurs with paint a sample Germany should be in a better place.
Interestingly Porsche quality per Consumer Reports dropped five places in the last year. Also interesting is that Tesla is one notch above the bottom of the list.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
GIGO?! I just learned something, looked it up, garbage in gospel out on the Internet. Thank you Russian mafia.
Frankly I'm happier with the pandemic working from home and not dealing with traffic. My work is actually more efficient and spending more time with my wife.
I empathize with all those whose life the pandemic is devastating, amplified to some extent by politics.
I’d meant it as garbage in garbage out. Gospel may = Garbage, it depends on your beliefs.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:51 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
True for cars, even more true for new pharmaceuticals. The list is long of drugs taken off the market due to excess deaths (Vioxx, Hismanal, Darvocet, Fen-Phen etc)
Thankfully with cars you can pull parts off and replace them, a little harder on humans
Old 01-02-2021, 03:59 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
I was worried about that but I really do not think that Porsche would take the liability to put out cars that were substandard. Also take a look at the youtube videos on production. Besides being fascinating and giving one an idea of the process, the one thing that did strike me was that many of the jobs are one person jobs where distancing is entirely possible. Too early to tell but my car appears pretty solid and most parts are still on the car when I return from even a spirited drive.

Some of the annoying rattles and squeaks I seem to not have and many appeared long before Covid
Twelve hours later ....... 😱

Originally Posted by craig66
Got my new 2021 C2 on Wednesday and absolutely loving it, Pulled it out of the garage to work on the rolling garage codes and found a pretty pink puddle staring up at me where L side of the engine sits. Looked up in the engine and saw some pink staining as well.
Called Porsche roadside and they are going to tow it to my dealer on Monday. Assuming that it is purely a coolant leak and the absence of fault codes likely means that the level is still adequate but will not take chances and so will toe to dealer

It was not one of the cars that sat at Port on either side of the Atlantic for very long in fact it was a week on both ends

Really hoping this does not bode poorly for future issues.

I am a little disappointed but understand that this is what warrantees are for and will hopefully not have any further issues going forward.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:47 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

Many of you seem to have ordered your car and taken delivery

My car was built to dealer specs and then traded from the first to a second dealer. By the time I bought it from the second dealer it had about 200 miles on it. I sort of wonder if that is a better way to go because dealer #2 must’ve tested it for issues before taking it, plus with test drives they might have been able to detect any problems. Plus it sat in a dealer showroom for a few months so any obvious leaks would’ve been detected.

I didn’t get the benefit of doing a spec of my car, but at least it was in expert hands for a few months, for what that may be worth.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:54 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Many of you seem to have ordered your car and taken delivery

My car was built to dealer specs and then traded from the first to a second dealer. By the time I bought it from the second dealer it had about 200 miles on it. I sort of wonder if that is a better way to go because dealer #2 must’ve tested it for issues before taking it, plus with test drives they might have been able to detect any problems. Plus it sat in a dealer showroom for a few months so any obvious leaks would’ve been detected.

I didn’t get the benefit of doing a spec of my car, but at least it was in expert hands for a few months, for what that may be worth.
LOL, yeah, in the expert hands/feet of many tens of joy riding testers...
Old 01-02-2021, 04:57 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,155 Likes on 1,469 Posts

Originally Posted by gohawks23
Exactly! "Just keep the test drive under 5 miles, please".

That's what I was told when I took out the 2021 Carrera S Cab (manual) that had 19 miles on it. Did I give it a full throttle boot? You better believe I did. And I put 6 miles on it, one over the 5. But that was OK, I bought the car.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:07 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

^ I thought about that too, ultimately most “test drivers” aren’t going to drive the car a whole lot different than I will (I “enjoy” my car quite a bit). The dealership is in a busy area so not a lot of places to do an insane launch control.

But if the Porsche 911 cannot handle some hard driving for 160 miles or so, what does that say about the car? I think it’s a sort of a blessing that it was already put through that test before I got it.

Better that than pick up a car I waited 6 months for and as soon as it came off the boat the transmission failed....
The following users liked this post:
mikey94025 (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 05:26 PM
butrcrm
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gohawks23
Not sure I’d prefer my $100k+ car being hammered around town and pawed by everyone that comes through a dealership.

Was at a dealer with a new Brewster Green on the showroom floor that was absolutely ravaged. Scratches, scuffs, you name it. Wouldn’t want my $11k paint job sitting at any dealer. And that’s an undriven showroom car.

Last edited by butrcrm; 01-05-2021 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Covid Car Part Deux: delay 992 order to minimize pandemic related QC issues?