CarPlay question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 02:00 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by Mb111
Maybe I’m missing the ‘procedure’. This is what I did:
I was listening to Sirius while CarPlay was connected but not active, I pulled into my garage, I hit Set then 1 on my memory to save settings to my profile, I turned off the car. When I went back to turn it on later and pulled out of the garage, CarPlay started when my phone connected (about 15-20 seconds after I start the car) and the CarPlay screen popped up on my screen. What am I missing as far as saving last known settings to my profile?
Pushing the memory Button on the Door only saves your "Ergonomic" settings. You also need to set the Memory for the "Comfort" settings. What Porsche calls the "infotainment settings" here. "Infotainment" is what Porsche usually calls "PCM" in almost all other places.

Ergonomic settings affect:
seat, exterior mirror and steering wheel settings.
Additionally, up to three ergonomic settings can be manually saved and retrieved via the memory buttons in the driver's door.

Comfort settings affect:
Ergonomic, air conditioning, light, vision, assistance system, instrument cluster and infotainment settings.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 12-31-2020 at 02:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (12-31-2020)
Old 01-01-2021, 03:03 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 89 Posts

When I turn off the link in the device settings it greys out and it does stay to my profile the next time I start the car. So my comfort settings are being saved when I turn off the car. However, disconnecting that link is not allowing CarPlay to connect at all when I start the car again and the CarPlay widget on my home screen says no connection when that Link button is untoggled so the only way I can use CarPlay is if I go into devices, turn on that link and then CarPlay automatically pops up onto my screen. It doesn't just start in the background, it pops up immediately when it starts.

Why does my CarPlay automatically launch when it starts, while others here are telling me CarPlay is connecting in the background when they start the car and remains connected and active until they select it on the left of menu options or launch it from their widget on the home screen?

I also included my Porsche ID settings to show how mine connects to my profile. My settings have to be different than those that say CarPlay connects in the background but doesn't pop up automatically when it connects. I'm assuming we're all using the same PCM software, so what settings don't I have correct?

Last edited by Mb111; 01-01-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:59 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Mb111
When I turn off the link in the device settings it greys out and it does stay to my profile the next time I start the car. So my comfort settings are being saved when I turn off the car. However, disconnecting that link is not allowing CarPlay to connect at all when I start the car again and the CarPlay widget on my home screen says no connection when that Link button is untoggled so the only way I can use CarPlay is if I go into devices, turn on that link and then CarPlay automatically pops up onto my screen. It doesn't just start in the background, it pops up immediately when it starts.

Why does my CarPlay automatically launch when it starts, while others here are telling me CarPlay is connecting in the background when they start the car and remains connected and active until they select it on the left of menu options or launch it from their widget on the home screen?
For me, who rarely uses CarPlay, I have the same behavior as you and CarPlay does not connect in the background. Once I untoggle Link then my home screen's CarPlay widget also shows "no connection" and I have to go into Devices to toggle the link back on to get into CarPlay. I thought I could press the home screen icon as well, even with no connection, but just tried it and it doesn't turn CarPlay back on like the Link icon does.

I would also be interested in knowing if someone else has a way of connecting with CarPlay but leaving it in the background at startup. :-) I wouldn't mind having CarPlay "hot ready" to go from the home screen.
The following users liked this post:
Mb111 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 04:22 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Here are my settings for the profile. Interesting that the profile is not ticked in the Porsche ID settings screen but it is automatically updated in the “Manage driver profile” screen.

Quick Reply: CarPlay question