Sponsored by:

CarPlay question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 12:24 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 89 Posts
Default CarPlay question

I asked this in another thread but it was more of a hijack on a related topic so I figured I'd ask it separately in a new thread.

When I start the car the PCM automatically goes right to CarPlay after about 5-10 seconds. What are the settings that I need to have for the car to go to Media (SiriusXM) first without going to CarPlay every time I start the car. I'd still like the PCM to pick up and connect with CarPlay in the background so that when I hit the CarPlay button it's connected and ready for me, but I don't want it to pull up automatically every time I start the car. Currently it'll start up with Media initially and then after about 5-10 seconds CarPlay automatically connects and takes over the screen and then I either have to hit the home screen button or the Media button so that Sirius pops back up.

Is this possible, or if I use CarPlay at all is this just the way it is, like having to wait 20 seconds for my PCM to fully load before I can get to Homelink when I pull out of my garage and want to close it, which is super annoying.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:52 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,256 Posts

I do not have this issue. I believe that you need/want to configure what Porsche calls the "Comfort Settings" that it assigns to what they call the "Driver Profile". I've attached the section of the Owners manual that covers this, albeit in less than what I would consider a clear and concise fashion.
Attached Images
The following users liked this post:
dieselweasel (10-06-2021)
Old 12-30-2020, 01:25 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 186 Posts

Are you always in CarPlay when you turn off the ignition? Like the other reply, I suspect it is getting saved with your settings. You can try exiting CarPlay the next time your turn off the ignition and see if it changes the next startup behavior.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:14 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikey94025
Are you always in CarPlay when you turn off the ignition? Like the other reply, I suspect it is getting saved with your settings. You can try exiting CarPlay the next time your turn off the ignition and see if it changes the next startup behavior.
No, I'm not 'using' CarPlay when I turn off the engine. It's connected, but I was listening to Sirius when I turned the car off, then the next time I got in and started up it automatically went to CarPlay when it picked up the connection to my phone. I seem to vaguely remember when I was sitting in the car with my SA when I picked it up and we were setting it up for the first time that it may have asked me a question about using CarPlay by default versus PCM, but that's all a blur and I was barely paying attention to what she was doing so I'm not exactly sure.

I went into my profile settings and I didn't see anything about CarPlay as default, etc.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:49 PM
john rock
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same issue in my 992 and a 2020Cayenne S. I turned off Car Play on my iPhone 12 Max, that’s the only way I don’t have to click on play to get Sirius to play. .I like Mb111 turn the car off while on Sirius. That and the 992 garage opener are a royal pain.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:29 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by john rock
I have the same issue in my 992 and a 2020Cayenne S. I turned off Car Play on my iPhone 12 Max, that’s the only way I don’t have to click on play to get Sirius to play. .I like Mb111 turn the car off while on Sirius. That and the 992 garage opener are a royal pain.
Ok, I'm happy to know that I'm not crazy and someone else has this issue! However, if other people have iPhones and their phones don't automatically start CarPlay but simply connect to it in the background when they start their cars, then there has to be a toggle or way for Johnrock and me to match the others, no? I'm using an iPhone 11 pro max. I don't think it's an apple issue because it's the PCM that's pulling up the CarPlay.
john rock (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 11:11 PM
ryanlsmith
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Mb111
Ok, I'm happy to know that I'm not crazy and someone else has this issue! However, if other people have iPhones and their phones don't automatically start CarPlay but simply connect to it in the background when they start their cars, then there has to be a toggle or way for Johnrock and me to match the others, no? I'm using an iPhone 11 pro max. I don't think it's an apple issue because it's the PCM that's pulling up the CarPlay.
It’s random for me. Sometimes it switches to CarPlay, sometimes it doesn’t. I don’t think it’s related to where I left off, but I haven’t tested it. I assume it’s just timing/ordering related based on what PCM decides to do and when.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:25 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

I went into my profile settings and I didn't see anything about CarPlay as default, etc.
How about if you go to the PCM Devices screen and in the row for your phone, under "Link" the rightmost icon that looks like a "play" can be pressed. Try toggling it and seeing if it changes the PCM startup (default) behavior.

I don't use CarPlay so my Link icon is white. If I press it, it turns green and I get asked whether I agree to CarPlay. I can afterward press it again and turn it back to white.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:27 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,155 Likes on 1,469 Posts

Same thing happens on my Audi E-Tron - that gap delay - the only solution I can find is to turn off Car Play until I want to use it.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:57 AM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

I think I found the answer to my own question in the Porsche Connect manual: unless CarPlay is turned off on your phone when you start the car, it will automatically start when the vehicle is turned on and pop up front and center on your console screen. I guess the people that don't have this 'problem' are those that manually turn on / off CarPlay on their phone for use. Personally, I think it would be a better user experience if it connected silently in the background unobtrusively and then you can press the menu button on the main screen to begin using it when you want.

Separately, it would also be great if you could reorder the menu icons on the far left so you don't have to fumble and scroll through them to get to the ones that you frequently use. I will never use Nav, but it's the second button, which for me is a waste. I'd prefer to put media and CarPlay up at the top as those are my most frequently used functions. I know I can always put CarPlay as a widget on the home screen somewhere but it would be great to be able to customize the menu of icons.

Last edited by Mb111; 12-31-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Nashville (12-17-2022)
Old 12-31-2020, 12:47 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

No, that's not it. Just because CarPlay connects when start the car doesn't mean it displays on the PCM. Mine always reconnects now and maybe once or twice a week it will pop up on the PCM too; most times it's when I'm doing something like setting a destination or playing some music on the phone when I start the car. 99% of the time it just reconnects and I do have the small CarPlay widget on my home screen.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:51 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,256 Posts

I think I found the answer to my own question in the Porsche Connect manual: unless CarPlay is turned off on your phone when you start the car, it will automatically start when the vehicle is turned on and pop up front and center on your console screen. I guess the people that don't have this 'problem' are those that manually turn on / off CarPlay on their phone for use. Personally, I think it would be a better user experience if it connected silently in the background unobtrusively and then you can press the menu button on the main screen to begin using it when you want.

Separately, it would also be great if you could reorder the menu icons on the far left so you don't have to fumble and scroll through them to get to the ones that you frequently use. I will never use Nav, but it's the second button, which for me is a waste. I'd prefer to put media and CarPlay up at the top as those are my most frequently used functions. I know I can always put CarPlay as a widget on the home screen somewhere but it would be great to be able to customize the menu of icons.
My Apple CarPlay does turn on and off silently in the background. When I start my car is always defaults to the Home Screen. If I want Apple CarPlay, I can select it from the Home Screen menu on the left side of the screen -or- Since I have the widget for Apple CarPlay on my Home Screen I can select it from that..
Someone might want to read the section of the Owners Manual I posted in reply #2. If you follow that procedure it works.
dribar (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:02 PM
Vsapra
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
My Apple CarPlay does turn on and off silently in the background. When I start my car is always defaults to the Home Screen. If I want Apple CarPlay, I can select it from the Home Screen menu on the left side of the screen -or- Since I have the widget for Apple CarPlay on my Home Screen I can select it from that..
same here. What I also noticed is that Waze also starts in the background. Which is super helpful to alert me about potential “threats”.

So having the option to switch over to CarPlay as needed but have Sirius playing on PCM by default is great.

Now if only music from SD card would stay registered and continue playing.... I’ve noticed that swapping from CarPlay to PCM stops the music and you have to select SD card and play again.
dribar (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:18 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Someone might want to read the section of the Owners Manual I posted in reply #2. If you follow that procedure it works.
I agree, my iPhone works the same - I have played with wireless CarPlay but generally don't use it. My 992 PCM doesn't default to CarPlay though I put a CarPlay widget on my home screen to use if I want it. I have never turned CarPlay off on my phone, yet my 992 starts without it.

In the Owners Manual section that you posted, the OP can follow the rightmost column instructions titled "Ending Wireless CarPlay". Go to the Devices menu and toggle the icon under "Link".
Bluehighways (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 01:43 PM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

^^Let me try the above toggling the icon under link.

Last edited by Mb111; 12-31-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: CarPlay question