Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4S vs Turbo for DD

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 06:10 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Dealer says only 150-175 TT will be built for 2021.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:35 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by lucycan
Dealer says only 150-175 TT will be built for 2021.
Get the TT. No brainer. Don’t overthink it. Just do it.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:41 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by OwingsMills
Buy the TT if you are going to hang out at the track with it. If the car is going to be a DD, there is virtually no public road where you could appreciate the power of the TT. All 992's are fast cars, but the TT is over the top, and probably best enjoyed on deserted runways. Also, the spoiler and side vents disturb an otherwise beautiful design. I'm getting a 2S with a manual, and I'm inclined to think that it will be a lot more fun to drive around in than the TT.
i don’t really agree with this comment. The TT cars do everything well. Great grand tourer and a lightning fast car when needed on any surface. I’m on my 5th version over several generations of Porsche TT cars and never had it on a runway but enjoy it everyday.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:44 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

I have a C4S allocation that locks in a few weeks. Just found a Turbo (non S) allocation I could have. This thread is not about cost.

Car will be my DD in MN so year round. Yes I have other cars I could drive in winter but why? Here are the questions I found asking myself:

1) Assuming both cars are equipped with PASM would the Turbo ride firmer? Would it be lower? I have to assume the Turbo is lower and firmer to begin with?
2) Can I fit a 19/20 setup for winter on the Turbo like I can on the C4S? Or are the front brakes (non PCCB) bigger on the Turbo?
3) Any concerns with reliability on a first model year car? It seems there are (at least some) issues with the 2020s base and S cars. 2021 is the first year for the Turbo.

Thanks folks!
I had a 991.2 Turbo that I daily drove for a year and will be getting a 992 Turbo to do the same. I've been daily driving my C2S this year. I live in the South and it doesn't snow. So I can't help you there.

That said - the Turbo was a wonderful car to daily drive. It's comfortable and obviously fast. There was literally no downside that I recall. These cars are meant to be driven. There is nothing about the Turbo that makes it less daily drivable than the Carrera. Fundamentally, these are the same cars in most ways. As such, the Turbo could end up more reliable than the first year of the Carrera. Turbo engines are traditionally VERY stout. All the electronics are basically the same.

If the budget fits a Turbo then get the Turbo. There is no other reason to pass on it unless you REALLY want a manual transmission or RWD. Keep in mind the slippery slope. It's hard to keep these things very cheap. That said, I'm still ~$25k under the price of an equivalent TTS.

Buy the TT if you are going to hang out at the track with it. If the car is going to be a DD, there is virtually no public road where you could appreciate the power of the TT. All 992's are fast cars, but the TT is over the top, and probably best enjoyed on deserted runways. Also, the spoiler and side vents disturb an otherwise beautiful design. I'm getting a 2S with a manual, and I'm inclined to think that it will be a lot more fun to drive around in than the TT.
No offense, but this is just not true. I love the Carrera, but even with normal driving, in traffic, you can feel the difference between them. There is a brutality to my old Turbo that just feels different. Re: tracking it - this is not a GT3 -- you shouldn't *need* to track in order to appreciate it. Not having driven the TT/TTS yet, I can't really tell you if it's more fun street driving than a C2S. I'll know in April, but I'm thinking the answer will be yes based on the reviews I've seen.

Last edited by rk-d; 12-30-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:06 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Thank you all. Some good info and thoughts in here.

Any reason if I was ordering sport PASM with my C4S that I would not do the same with the Turbo?

Looks like RWS is standard on the Turbo?
Old 12-30-2020, 08:08 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Thank you all. Some good info and thoughts in here.

Any reason if I was ordering sport PASM with my C4S that I would not do the same with the Turbo?

Looks like RWS is standard on the Turbo?
I don't think there is a good reason not to spec SPASM if you were getting on the C4S. I'm getting it.

SPASM on the Turbos look soo good. Stance is on point.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:33 PM
motown
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Hi Lucycan,

I’d rule out concerns about first year issues as most of your potential issues would be software/hardware shared by both platforms since 2020. The 3.7 engine is based on the 3.0 9A2 Evo which has been in these cars since 2017. If price is a non issue, and both cars are going to be daily PDK, get the one that appeals more to you. I’d normally say drive them both but may be slightly difficult getting a bead on a non S Turbo to drive. Drive a C4S if you haven’t. It’s ridiculously fast and only a few ticks slower than the Turbo. I believe the Carrera S/4S brakes and non S Turbo brakes are the same but not positive. In lieu of extra set of wheels, maybe just get tires and swap them but confident that 19/20 setup would probably work on non PCCB cars. One thing is certain, if you get the 4S, you may or may not regret getting the Turbo, but if you get the Turbo, I doubt you’ll be kicking yourself saying, “damn, should have got the 4S”.
I ordered the 992 TTS but to be honest the car looks better without the tail and air intake IMO. Classic design. For a DD I think no tail would be better to sneak under the radar more if that is important.
Originally Posted by smiles11
Here we go again...

Carrera = “I don’t need an S. The base has all the power you will ever need”

Carrera S = “You will never be able to experience the full potential of the engine unless you track it”

Turbo = “I don’t need a TTS. The TT has all the power you will ever need”

Turbo S = “You will never be able to experience the full potential of the engine unless you track it”

🤪
Yup. That seems accurate.

Agree with this comment. However the extra power can be addictive.

Smoking tire did a great review of the 992 TTS. At the end he questioned why get the TTS over the non turbo. Just go to jail quicker.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:05 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by motown

Smoking tire did a great review of the 992 TTS. At the end he questioned why get the TTS over the non turbo. Just go to jail quicker.
he kind of sums it up when says that the feel of the Carerra’s range is pretty well much the same from C2 to Turbo on most of the roads we gonna drive on. I have a parallel dilemma about whether to upgrade my GT4 to a TT or else buy the wife a C2 Cab and keep my GT4. Although I lust mightily for a Turbo, the latter makes more sense. So Lucycan - you have to decide with head or heart ! Impossible choice 🤯
Old 12-30-2020, 09:07 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by motown

he kind of sums it up when says that the feel of the Carerra’s range is pretty well much the same from C2 to Turbo on most of the roads we gonna drive on. I have a parallel dilemma about whether to upgrade my GT4 to a TT or else buy the wife a C2 Cab and keep my GT4. Although I lust mightily for a Turbo, the latter makes more sense. So Lucycan - you have to decide with head or heart - the practicalities are just a dustraction ! Impossible choice 🤯
Old 12-30-2020, 09:10 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

I've managed to stay out of jail (only pulled over once in the last 10 years) with several summer cars that are higher HP than the TT. I think I'll be OK
Old 12-30-2020, 09:18 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

I've managed to stay out of jail (only pulled over once in the last 10 years) with several summer cars that are higher HP than the TT. I think I'll be OK
It's like I tell my wife when she's in the car..... I'll drive the speed limit, but I'm going to get to the speed limit VERY QUICKLY.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i would be happy with a C4S daily. Simple and plenty fast. Sexy too.
However, the Turbo body is slightly wider which appeals to my inner child.

hard call.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:32 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,381 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
If the budget fits a Turbo then get the Turbo. There is no other reason to pass on it unless you REALLY want a manual transmission or RWD. Keep in mind the slippery slope. It's hard to keep these things very cheap. That said, I'm still ~$25k under the price of an equivalent TTS.
+1 This sums it up nicely.

If your budget is around $150k, get the C4S. If you can stretch it to $170-$180k, get the TT.

For most guys including myself that prefer a lighter car (nearly 400lb delta) & RWD; the TT/S wouldn't be a consideration.

Last edited by smiles11; 12-30-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:47 PM
LSM111
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts

Turbo without a doubt and yes order SPASM. The car still isn’t that low. Front axle lift is completely unneeded
Old 12-30-2020, 11:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,684 Likes on 5,113 Posts

I cannot disagree with this more.

Personally, I find the C4S (or C4) more enjoyable as a track car. Not necessarily the better car, but the more enjoyable one.

The TT is brutally fast, and will gobble up circuits like Pac Man working through the maze, but there is something that is lost when the car is so clinically perfect.

As others have said, it's often more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aintufunny (12-31-2020), findtom (01-05-2021), hbear (01-05-2021)

Quick Reply: C4S vs Turbo for DD