Sponsored by:

U.S. 992 C4S battery maintainer questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 01:34 PM
markjeansonne
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default U.S. 992 C4S battery maintainer questions

My 992 C4S is less than 30 days away. I have a few questions on the battery maintainer, if anyone knows:
1) I ordered a PORSCHE (C-Tek) battery maintainer with the car. Where is the port/receptacle located in the 992?
In the front trunk? In the passenger area inside the car?

2) In my prior Porsches, I always connected a female extension directly to the battery terminals or designated bolts in front trunk (the designated bolts in the front, that connect to actual battery located in the rear/engine area of the car). Then I would find an area where I could sneak out the female/receptacle out near the windshield cowl so that I could close both doors and the front
trunk.
So that I am less confused ... I assume my car will have the lightweight lithium battery, b/c the car is a C4S (United States bound).
So my question is, will any 12v receptacle work on a lithium battery set-up? May be a silly question, but just want to make sure I don't burn the ECU on a brand new Porsche!
TIA
Old 12-29-2020, 01:53 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,154 Likes on 1,468 Posts

You may want to read this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1229...er-advice.html
Old 01-02-2021, 07:14 AM
Bronco911
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are quite a few posts on this topic with many diff opinions. My dealer told me that the maintainer must be connected with the clamps to the battery....but wait! Don’t connect the black clamp to the NEG post on the battery. The black clamp must be connected to the metal lug near the wiper motor. That lug is marked. Also remember the maintainer is not just a trickle charger, it moves through three distinct steps before actually ‘maintaining’ the charge. Realize that the complete procedure may take up to 7 hours. The clamps aren’t included with the charger, they are a separate part. The two are connected via a simple male/female cig lighter setup. Also note that the manual that comes with the maintainer shows both clamps being attached to the battery...don’t do it!. Any further questions?
Old 01-02-2021, 08:03 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Originally Posted by markjeansonne
My 992 C4S is less than 30 days away. I have a few questions on the battery maintainer, if anyone knows:
1) I ordered a PORSCHE (C-Tek) battery maintainer with the car. Where is the port/receptacle located in the 992?
In the front trunk? In the passenger area inside the car?

2) In my prior Porsches, I always connected a female extension directly to the battery terminals or designated bolts in front trunk (the designated bolts in the front, that connect to actual battery located in the rear/engine area of the car). Then I would find an area where I could sneak out the female/receptacle out near the windshield cowl so that I could close both doors and the front
trunk.
So that I am less confused ... I assume my car will have the lightweight lithium battery, b/c the car is a C4S (United States bound).
So my question is, will any 12v receptacle work on a lithium battery set-up? May be a silly question, but just want to make sure I don't burn the ECU on a brand new Porsche!
TIA
1) Passenger footwell
2) Many folks end up with the direct connection, because the 12V port can be finnicky -- if you don't follow the right sequence, it will shut off. preventing the car from being charged.
Unless you have RAS (Rear Axle Steering), your C4S will have an AGM battery.

Lots of threads on this. There are almost as many on 18 way seats or SPASM.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:05 AM
reyesanders
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronco911
There are quite a few posts on this topic with many diff opinions. My dealer told me that the maintainer must be connected with the clamps to the battery....but wait! Don’t connect the black clamp to the NEG post on the battery. The black clamp must be connected to the metal lug near the wiper motor. That lug is marked. Also remember the maintainer is not just a trickle charger, it moves through three distinct steps before actually ‘maintaining’ the charge. Realize that the complete procedure may take up to 7 hours. The clamps aren’t included with the charger, they are a separate part. The two are connected via a simple male/female cig lighter setup. Also note that the manual that comes with the maintainer shows both clamps being attached to the battery...don’t do it!. Any further questions?
After all the posts on RL about this and contradicting opinions, this is it! I have a 992 C4S and must of called 5-6 Porsche Dealerships to confirm the proper procedures for installing the Porsche Battery Maintainer. Only piece of advice/guidance missing is that you need to set the battery maintainer to ION setting once you confirm your car has a lithium battery. Also, might be a preference thing but I opted to keep the frunk slightly opened and ran the wire down the front bumper. I found that this minimized any surface scratches on the paint while the car is covered during winter storage.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-02-2021)

Quick Reply: U.S. 992 C4S battery maintainer questions